First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Don’t believe that’s correct - the sport does have steel wheels, but they’re not the same as any of the spares we’ve seen. The mains are 5 spoke black wheels, and the spares are 18 hole disc style wheels.
You are correct . . . after looking at the build page I see ironically that the Steel wheels, except for color, look identical to the Aluminum Sport S wheels ! True also, we do need to at least wait for mikescarinfo.com to show a Gladiator Review, for he always starts off the videos with an UNDER View form rear to Front ! Then we would be able to see the Spare !
I'm wondering how much a Sport Steel Rim would cost to replace your typical yuk steel rim spare ?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hey Lou2.0 FYI a lot of times a persons ability to pay the price for anything has nothing at all to do with their decision about what to buy or what not to buy. I could afford to pay for a Moab Wrangler but I actually lean to a Sport or to Sport S Gladiator. Simple reason is that I really don’t want to have power windows, mirrors and locks or leather or any other do dads that come with the upper level Gladiators. In fact if I could get one with rubber flooring and no carpet then I would do that in a heartbeat. I have a 2007 FJ Cruiser and it’s got rubber floors, love that part of it. I get in with wet, muddy feet from the boat landing and later just wipe it clean. To me a Wrangler or a Gladiator is a work and play vehicle that just should have some things as manual, not power. My humble opinion.

I think it may be a pain in the ass to unlock the back doors of a Gladiator equipped with manual locks, maybe not. And I may get a local company to put power locks just on the rear doors if it turns into something that really is a huge pain. And why have power mirrors? Heck once you set them into place ya almost never need to readjust them. And if someone runs me off a road and into a lake I know that I will not loose manual power to roll down the windows so the car can then fill up with water so I can then open a door and swim to the surface. Power windows may short out and oops you can’t open the doors due to the pressure on them.

On a Wrangler you have to get a Sahara in order to get power windows, mirrors and locks. That’s $6,850.00 more than a base Sport model just to get these power items. I would rather pay a few hundred bucks for power locks from a local aftermarket company. Trust me I already checked into it. It’s feasible and it’s a nominal cost.

Same thing for the small stereo system that has no navigation. I can pay thousands more to get an upper level model that has navigation or I can spend less than $1000.00 to get an aftermarket system that has a much larger screen, has navigation and even has a CD player. Yes I play those old fashioned things.

Just not personally interested in all the extra bells and whistles.
Lower the Volume please, Jake . . . your hurting my ears a bit ! You seem perturbed of MY OPINION . . . perhaps you read something into it that is not there ? No matter, you can buy whatever level you prefer and I would support you 100 %.
Some folks like tomAtoes, some prefer tomahtoes ! Your wrangler, power window option, Sahara scenario is incorrect - in that Power window option can be had for any model above the base model . Please don't do anything stupid to cause you to drive into a lake or river and drown because you may have power windows ! But if you have a tendency TO drive while impaired and find yourself in the middle of a "puddle" - please DO get the BASE model !
"ps; Mr. Emoji-man, can we please have a "tongue-in-cheek" emoji ! :clap: :like:

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Then Sport S is what you're looking for and what we actually got for our '18 JLU. You don't need to spend $$$s for the Sahara for those basic upgrades.
THANK YOU for that .

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Lower the Volume please, Jake . . . your hurting my ears a bit ! You seem perturbed of MY OPINION . . . perhaps you read something into it that is not there ? No matter, you can buy whatever level you prefer and I would support you 100 %.
Some folks like tomAtoes, some prefer tomahtoes ! Your wrangler, power window option, Sahara scenario is incorrect - in that Power window option can be had for any model above the base model . Please don't do anything stupid to cause you to drive into a lake or river and drown because you may have power windows ! But if you have a tendency TO drive while impaired and find yourself in the middle of a "puddle" - please DO get the BASE model !
"ps; Mr. Emoji-man, can we please have a "tongue-in-cheek" emoji ! :clap: :like:
Hey Lou2.0 it’s all good, really good. Please don’t take it that I was yelling at you, that would have been very rude of me and I would never do that to anyone. I was just trying to point out why I and others may opt to take a different model. And for everyone’s info I stand corrected. I now see that the Wrangler Sport S does come with power windows, mirrors and locks. Ya don’t have to go to the Sahara level to then get those as standard. And a Sport S is only $3200 more than a base Sport Wrangler. My bad here. Whip me with a wet noodle.

As explained this may be something others may also not want to get so just trying to lay out options for others to consider.

Now everyone wonders why I would drive off a bridge. Trust me I barely drink alcohol. And as you know there’s people out there that get drunk or wasted on drugs that could drive you off of a road or a bridge. Or you could hit a patch of ice on a road or bridge and have your car going for a swim. It happens. Some say you will not loose power to the windows, but I would hate to be sinking in 50 feet of water only to find out that the power windows just shorted out. When that happens you gotta wait until you sink to the bottom and then wait until it fills with water releasing pressure on the doors so you can then take that swim to the surface. Can you swim 50 up while holding your breath? I can’t. Maybe I could 30 to 40 years ago. So for me I would start manually cranking down my windows to second I hit the water and would want to go out through a window while my car was maybe 10 feet under.

Again sorry if I seemed to be yelling, never meant to come across that way. I sincerely apologize.

Someone else asked why I would get a car without power locks and then put aftermarket power locks on back doors. Please let me explain. As I advised in a previous post it’s a pain in the rear end to reach into the back seat of a Wrangler to unlock a back door. The front seat really gets in the way. Getting into the front is easy. Just insert the key into a front door and it unlocks, piece of cake. So instead of paying $3200 to get a Sport S model with these power items included you just pay a few hundred dollars and get a power lock for just the back. Just throwing ideas out so others can consider some options.

And finally we are all totally speculating here since no one yet knows what anything will cost for a Gladiator.

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hey Lou2.0 it’s all good, really good. Please don’t take it that I was yelling at you, that would have been very rude of me and I would never do that to anyone. I was just trying to point out why I and others may opt to take a different model. And for everyone’s info I stand corrected. I now see that the Wrangler Sport S does come with power windows, mirrors and locks. Ya don’t have to go to the Sahara level to then get those as standard. And a Sport S is only $3200 more than a base Sport Wrangler. My bad here. Whip me with a wet noodle.

As explained this may be something others may also not want to get so just trying to lay out options for others to consider.

Now everyone wonders why I would drive off a bridge. Trust me I barely drink alcohol. And as you know there’s people out there that get drunk or wasted on drugs that could drive you off of a road or a bridge. Or you could hit a patch of ice on a road or bridge and have your car going for a swim. It happens. Some say you will not loose power to the windows, but I would hate to be sinking in 50 feet of water only to find out that the power windows just shorted out. When that happens you gotta wait until you sink to the bottom and then wait until it fills with water releasing pressure on the doors so you can then take that swim to the surface. Can you swim 50 up while holding your breath? I can’t. Maybe I could 30 to 40 years ago. So for me I would start manually cranking down my windows to second I hit the water and would want to go out through a window while my car was maybe 10 feet under.

Again sorry if I seemed to be yelling, never meant to come across that way. I sincerely apologize.

Someone else asked why I would get a car without power locks and then put aftermarket power locks on back doors. Please let me explain. As I advised in a previous post it’s a pain in the rear end to reach into the back seat of a Wrangler to unlock a back door. The front seat really gets in the way. Getting into the front is easy. Just insert the key into a front door and it unlocks, piece of cake. So instead of paying $3200 to get a Sport S model with these power items included you just pay a few hundred dollars and get a power lock for just the back. Just throwing ideas out so others can consider some options.

And finally we are all totally speculating here since no one yet knows what anything will cost for a Gladiator.
DID YOU NOT READ MY PS; "Tongue-in-Cheek" Emoji Request ? :giggle: :headbang: :whatsgoingon:

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Then 2 years later you can spend another couple 100 bucks to replace your after market power locks that failed. Except now you have to order more cheap plastic clips to hold your door trim back on since they broke with messing with them so much.

I am not against aftermarket, except electrical stuff. Electrical stuff sucks to work on and is almost always better OEM IMHO.

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
C61BB548-FD69-4E73-A737-9C6DE63A2DF1.jpeg
I may not need them after all. Will wait until I get a Gladiator to see if I even need them. I know that this truck is based on a Wrangler platform. So everything from the rear seats forward should be identical, doors and all. When I sat in a 2018 Wrangler a couple of weeks ago I had to climb into it. I was born a short person, only 5’5” tall, vertically challenged. So I plan to put some step bars onto it. Once I have those on I may find it very easy to step up and then reach to a back door to unlock it. I have done this before on a truck with manual locks, worked great and never broke.

Anyone good at photoshop? Can anybody photoshop this on to a Gobi Gladiator? Ok ok if you like Sting Grey then try it on that color or what ever is your favorite color. This was made by APS, their black drop step nerf bar. Hoping they will sell this for the Gladiator.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Beat me to it. Also, why would you get the one without power locks just to add them later. Plus the far fetched scenario of driving into a lake? Come on now Jake. But just in case you do find yourself in that unlikely scenario you should know this. Just like in underwater helicopter egress training, which I have done, you don't move until the cabin is full of water. Once your doomed gladiator fills with water the pressure will be equal inside and out. Then you just open the door. But if you're that worried about it, should you even be driving?
My two cents is for function. I've replaced the electronic parts on several Jeep doors. Don't want electronics on a jeep pickup, just my flavor. Don't want or need help locking up. And, I drove my Sahara wranglerwtop o line into a lake the first time out, new from showroom. Just to see what would happen. I may not be smart. Ain't claiming that. But I do know I want simple, fixable pick up with tape and bailing wire! At least on this go round. It's a Sport for me. I want some pics in the wild, build and price is memorized! Just my thoughts, no arguments here.

Mr_baker4420

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
My two cents is for function. I've replaced the electronic parts on several Jeep doors. Don't want electronics on a jeep pickup, just my flavor. Don't want or need help locking up. And, I drove my Sahara wranglerwtop o line into a lake the first time out, new from showroom. Just to see what would happen. I may not be smart. Ain't claiming that. But I do know I want simple, fixable pick up with tape and bailing wire! At least on this go round. It's a Sport for me. I want some pics in the wild, build and price is memorized! Just my thoughts, no arguments here.
I was talking to the guy who plans on adding electronics to the truck he bought because it didn't have those electronics. It's fine to not want power locks. But then to add them later? I hope you're not planning to drive into a lake as well.

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I was talking to the guy who plans on adding electronics to the truck he bought because it didn't have those electronics. It's fine to not want power locks. But then to add them later? I hope you're not planning to drive into a lake as well.
I should clarify why I butted in. I thought it okay to test this truck in water immediately, before getting far away from civilization. I did so in my new Jeep years ago, it was about 30" of water stretching for miles with deeper pools and some places running fast. Different cool stuff. Bouldering slightly, mudding. Sand. "Swimming". Hill climbing. So it was a day. And jeep performed greatly.

But, also did not have the power stuff available then. I only meant to comment also, as you indicate, that not having power is okay in a JT.

As for adds, the one thing I am considering is adding the bed plug even if I can get factory, which is usually best as stated above. I don't want that plug run through a door fuse controller, if that is how they run the harness.

Karnivoolfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Baja
I'm getting a base Sport. I don't want to waste extra money on stuff that I don't need.

Plus crank windows are cool. I'll still try to aftermarket wire a heated steering wheel and heated seats. I just don't want to pay for the other stuff.

Ultimately I rather go without the heated stuff than have but have all the stuff too. It is a work vehicle first play second.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I thought I'd like Overland, but after sitting in all the trims, I realized my Liberty is nice comfort yet still Jeep. I would upgrade to a Grand Cherokee if I wanted more luxury.

Then I realized the JT Sport is as well optioned as my 97 Sahara. I even looked up the old jeep to remember what it had on it. When I sawsthe manual doors instantly I decided on JT Sport.

The tech adds are all negatives for me.

JT sport comes with all I want in a badass jeep truck.
Sponsored