Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
IF you have the 110 volt receptacle outlet in your truck on the back of the console, try plugging in a nightlight. Dudes with Rangers say you can get a cheap $3 nightlight from Walmart and plug it into that outlet and the light will only come on when the truck is running, but the small draw of the bulb will signal ESS to remain off. I wonder if that would work on a JT also? If so, that's a $3 fix that's out of sight and out of mind.

Of course, I love ESS because it saves me $$$ per my own testing. But for those of you who just can't stand it, give that a shot.

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
I've gotten used to pushing the button, so until I get a Tazer (for reasons other than the ESS), I'll just keep using that. It's just a matter of remembering to do it every time.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
And here I still have mine under control just by manipulating the pressure on the brake pedal and not driving like I did when I was 16.
It shuts off when I want it to, doesn't when I don't want it to.
And even if it did, so what? Seriously - what does it do - prevent you from beating the other guy to the next light?
Not me - I observe the surroundings, lights, and traffic and my engine is going when I'm ready to go.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
While I do not have my JT yet so I cannot speak to how ESS works on it....but here in Florida I have driven a few vehicles with ESS and during the summer, when I have AC blasting....compressor would shut down every time ESS shut down the engine...beyond annoying. Only takes a short time for any cool environment to be undone when its 100deg and outside air is all the fan is blowing in.

First thing I will do is disable ESS. Nanny state be damned.

Sponsored

Scott_in_NH

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S picked up 1/21/20, 1974 Porsche 914, 2019 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe, 1978 Glastron-Carlson CVZ18, 1999 Ski-Doo MX Z 500, girlfriend drives 2008 Liberty. Past Jeeps: 90 XJ 2dr. 5-speed, 2000 XJ Limited 4dr. auto, Mom's 81 Grand Wagoneer
And here I still have mine under control just by manipulating the pressure on the brake pedal and not driving like I did when I was 16.
It shuts off when I want it to, doesn't when I don't want it to.
And even if it did, so what? Seriously - what does it do - prevent you from beating the other guy to the next light?
Not me - I observe the surroundings, lights, and traffic and my engine is going when I'm ready to go.

I agree, just got my truck and while I have driven ESS enough that I knew it would work well for me, I understood why some don't like it.

Now that I have it, my normal braking could be described as a "limo stop" and it never shuts off unless i want it to.

So for stop signs, right on red, and lights about to change to green I stop without pressing the button and without the engine shutting down.

It really couldn't be any easier to manipulate....

Now if/when I take it into Boston, yes i will turn it off as more aggressive driving is required.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
While I do not have my JT yet so I cannot speak to how ESS works on it....but here in Florida I have driven a few vehicles with ESS and during the summer, when I have AC blasting....compressor would shut down every time ESS shut down the engine...beyond annoying. Only takes a short time for any cool environment to be undone when its 100deg and outside air is all the fan is blowing in.

I understand your feelings on this, having another vehicle with ESS. I will say that Jeep did a lot better job than Ford. The Jeep AC and power steering (because it's electric) keep working just fine during ESS stops. That said, I still don't like it.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I understand your feelings on this, having another vehicle with ESS. I will say that Jeep did a lot better job than Ford. The Jeep AC and power steering (because it's electric) keep working just fine during ESS stops. That said, I still don't like it.
So compressor stays running?....AC still blows cold air not just fan air? All the one's ive driven would still blow air...but not cold...just fan. Compressors did not run when engine is "shutdown".

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So compressor stays running?....AC still blows cold air not just fan air? All the one's ive driven would still blow air...but not cold...just fan. Compressors did not run when engine is "shutdown".
No, during ESS the compressor shuts down. BUT, we're talking seconds here. How long do most people sit at a red light or stop sign? I guess the drive-thru at McD's could be the longest the ESS will ever be activated. So it's not like you're going to get hot on a summer day or cold on a winter day just because ESS is active.

And, the BCM monitors interior temperature as well, so that IF it did get out of range inside the truck the engine would restart to assist.

I still haven't found many situations yet when ESS is a real problem.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
No, during ESS the compressor shuts down. BUT, we're talking seconds here. How long do most people sit at a red light or stop sign? I guess the drive-thru at McD's could be the longest the ESS will ever be activated. So it's not like you're going to get hot on a summer day or cold on a winter day just because ESS is active.
Ha, welcome to Orlando traffic in the middle of July

Sponsored

furrymurray

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator SG Rubicon

And, the BCM monitors interior temperature as well, so that IF it did get out of range inside the truck the engine would restart to assist.

I still haven't found many situations yet when ESS is a real problem.
Come hang out in Louisiana mid July or August while sitting in Baton rouge traffic. Trust me you will not want to have your a/c compressor shut off at all. For now the ESS doesn't bother me but I know once it starts getting hot I will shut that down in a heartbeat.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

That's odd as if the AC is going in the Grand Cherokees my wife has had - if the AC is needed, the engine either won't shut off or it RESTARTS.
She never has to worry about getting too hot or too cold - if the cabin can't be maintained the engine keeps running or restarts.
Unless they took that out of the JT -and unless you run manual and keep the AC on max all the time........

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
That's odd as if the AC is going in the Grand Cherokees my wife has had - if the AC is needed, the engine either won't shut off or it RESTARTS.
She never has to worry about getting too hot or too cold - if the cabin can't be maintained the engine keeps running or restarts.
Unless they took that out of the JT -and unless you run manual and keep the AC on max all the time........
According to the Manual:

“Conditions That Will Cause The Engine To Start Automatically While In Autostop Mode:
* To maintain cabin temperature comfort
* Actual cabin temperature is significantly different than temperature set on Auto HVAC.”

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
How many degrees in a 'significant'? :)