First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Driving a manual transmission, this feature is very annoying. Several things contribute to this, including with a manual you listen for the engine/exhaust to determine shifts, you feel the clutch drag as you engage/disengage it, you may or may not use a brake while stopped at a light (depending on the slope), the clutch feel is different depending on the slope, the gas pedal you use is dependent on the slope. The last thing you need to make driving a manual difficult is to not know whether the engine is running or not as you let out the clutch to go. The foot pedal action needed changes if as you let out the clutch your gas pedal is actually doing something, or the starter motor is cranking. But, that's exactly what we have with this supposed fuel saving measure. I have over a half century driving almost exclusively manual transmissions. It's a very subtle "feel" that you acquire rather quickly, but become rather routine with after time. With the JT, if I don't turn off the stop/start, I'm going to stall it some or I'm going to lay some scratch. I don't like doing either. Well, okay, laying a short scratch chirp is kind of fun. LOL.
Sponsored

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I think ill just disable the damn thing instead of having to change the way I drive...or brake. :)

OP
OP
BLK HOLE

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I think ill just disable the damn thing instead of having to change the way I drive...or brake. :)
Exactly...here, and on FB groups, the response to this thread has seen a lot of people just changing the way they drive or disconnecting the plug under the hood creating a dash light and code. I mean thats fine and all but not worth it for a 100 dollar fix (well, 130).

121Ranger

First Name
Darrol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch
After seeing the ops info, I ordered this because I hate the start/stop feature and I don’t want to “change my driving technique”. Received it two days ago and immediately installed it. Took about three minutes to install. Even went so far as to place a small piece of black electrical tape over the button’s indicator light so I don’t have to see it while driving (OCD). To me this was the only “flaw” of my new JT that has been resolved for a little over a hundred bucks, which, in perspective to how much I (we) spend on our Jeeps, is a drop in the bucket. Very happy with this product and recommend to the start/stop haters.

JCJeep1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ 37" MT Long Arm 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 2020 StingGrey Gladiator Sport S Tow
Vehicle Showcase
The Jeep Gladiator JT SmartStopStart module easily plugs into two connectors under dashboard in about 5 minutes. The SmartStopStart DOES NOT disable the Security Gateway Module or require the OBDII port like 'programmer' type products do.

does a Tazer do what this is referring to?
yes i have the tazer lite and it does exactly that - ESS is disabled -

Sponsored

JCJeep1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ 37" MT Long Arm 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 2020 StingGrey Gladiator Sport S Tow
Vehicle Showcase
But does it disable the security gateway? Not sure I like the sound of that
no clue - i would reach out to the help line / creator - its one in the same and he is very responsive.

Gator

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2008 Jeep Wrangler 2dr , 1974 VW Thing, 1994 Harley cow bike w sidecar
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I got tired of stopping and starting installed smart stop, (www.smartstopstart.com/) works great, plug and go.

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have an automatic transmission? I think on the autos that start-stop is less annoying. On the manuals, however, it has this annoying habit of cranking while I'm letting out the clutch. And then stalling it because I didn't know it was cranking, and ended up with more clutch engaged than the delivered torque could support. I have over a half century of driving almost exclusively manual vehicles. Stall happens. But not several times a week. Several times a year when the situation is difficult (or I'm not paying attention), maybe, but not a week.
I'm glad I'm not the only one! It's super annoying!

Gator

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2008 Jeep Wrangler 2dr , 1974 VW Thing, 1994 Harley cow bike w sidecar
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My Jeep is automatic.

Sponsored

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I do have the Auto, but I got ya, that would be annoying for a stick. I needed the Max Tow, which only came with the auto, otherwise I would have gotten the stick
Yeah, they save all the really good stuff for the autos any more. :-(

Dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
I was told by this board and Facebook that I would absolutely hate the feature and at 3800 miles I am still pretty undecided on what people’s beef is with. Maybe I just got lucky and mine works exactly as one could hope it would, but it’s never activated and I felt like I was in some kind of imminent danger because of it.

Maybe I still have rose colored glasses on due to loving my Gladiator, but I really don’t see what the big deal is.

OP
OP
BLK HOLE

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I was told by this board and Facebook that I would absolutely hate the feature and at 3800 miles I am still pretty undecided on what people’s beef is with. Maybe I just got lucky and mine works exactly as one could hope it would, but it’s never activated and I felt like I was in some kind of imminent danger because of it.

Maybe I still have rose colored glasses on due to loving my Gladiator, but I really don’t see what the big deal is.
They’re all the same. Some people pay closer attention than others. Some of us have also been in many vehicles and know what good shutoff engines feel like. The Jeep is not good.

BW Montauk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, TRX, GX 550
But does it disable the security gateway? Not sure I like the sound of that
Just added Tazer mini myself. It seems like it just pushes the button for you. Lol it’s great. Highly recommend. No issues at all. Calibrated tires, TPMS threshold, and the auto start/stop.

khokhonutt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I heard that it does but don't know. My Flashcal has a setting for it but it doesn't work.
I have the Flashcal, the setting you're referring to turns off the remote start feature. I'm not sure why someone would want to disable that, but I did, thinking it would turn off the auto stop/start and promptly found I could no longer remote start mine. My guess is the option is there for those who add the remote start up. In newer vehicles that would typically require a dealership visit to enable it after you install the parts needed. Having the Flashcal or something similar would save that trip to the dealership.
Sponsored