Start Stop Not Ready - nothing else

AHenry014

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Just about two months with my Gladiator as my daily. I have experienced the ASS less than a dozen times. Screen always says "Not ready, Battery Charging". I may try to trickle charge both to see how long it sticks around. The 3yr/36k warranty is up in a couple months. Would love for someone else to pay for new batteries...
Sponsored

OP
OP
tonywin

tonywin

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Hey curious what ended up happening with your battery? Mine is doing the same thing. For a few months, it would say ESS not available, cabing heating/cooling. Now it just says "ESS unavailable". Starting to get concerned as so many people are having issues with it killing the main battery.
I actually installed the Cascadia 4x4 solar hood panel. ESS instantly worked again and have had no issues since. Been on a few trips with no hiccups. I still plan on swapping it out or deleting the aux all together but not until the yellow auto start light turns on.

AlpineChip

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 2013 JKU Rubicon
Same issue for me but, with a new 2023. Took it back to the dealer to check and the replaced the aux battery, said to let it 'sleep cycle' four or five times (whatever that is). After a couple of days of very little driving, the ESS is now working after the truck warms up. Don't much care for the ESS but, wanted to make sure aux battery is charging and good.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I actually installed the Cascadia 4x4 solar hood panel. ESS instantly worked again and have had no issues since. Been on a few trips with no hiccups. I still plan on swapping it out or deleting the aux all together but not until the yellow auto start light turns on.
I've noticed that my 2022 voltage is always a lot higher than it was in my 2020. It typically runs over 14.7 when it's cool or cold outside, not infrequently it's around 14.9
ESS works as quick as I hit a main road, about 1.5 miles away when it's chilly out and it works every time.
I've wondered about a solar charger........... don't know much about them, though.

Sponsored

hickman785

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Security
About four months ago I had to replace the aux battery after I started getting a message saying that the aux switches were disabled due to battery charging. The dealer said the aux battery was bad. SInce then I've had no issues, until about two weeks ago. Two weeks ago my ESS stopped working and a couple of times the aux switces have been disabled. Two days ago I monitored the battery voltage for about 15 minutes and the voltage, while idling, would fluctuate from around 13.0 to 15.7 volts, at the same time the engine was idling in tune with the battery fluctuation. I opened the hood and found an orangish/amber colored substance on the end of the power wire at the terminal and a burned spot in the red batteyr terminal cover.

Any ideas on what may be happening to my truck? I'm worried it may catch on fire if I drive it, but it's my daily driver.

IMG_20221222_090002820.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
About four months ago I had to replace the aux battery after I started getting a message saying that the aux switches were disabled due to battery charging. The dealer said the aux battery was bad. SInce then I've had no issues, until about two weeks ago. Two weeks ago my ESS stopped working and a couple of times the aux switces have been disabled. Two days ago I monitored the battery voltage for about 15 minutes and the voltage, while idling, would fluctuate from around 13.0 to 15.7 volts, at the same time the engine was idling in tune with the battery fluctuation. I opened the hood and found an orangish/amber colored substance on the end of the power wire at the terminal and a burned spot in the red batteyr terminal cover.

Any ideas on what may be happening to my truck? I'm worried it may catch on fire if I drive it, but it's my daily driver.

Jeep Gladiator Start Stop Not Ready - nothing else IMG_20221222_090002820
15.7 volts? Yikes.

BTW - obvious (to me, anyway) that wire's been hot. That's what you are seeing. Look at the red rubber cover.
Where does that small red wire go - the one in the lower left?
Possible loose connection there, causing the heat. The fluctuation is not normal - get it in and checked out before you do have a fire.

My first thoughts - that nut isn't tight, causing resistance and heat.
That terminal has been crazy hot.
Did you add that wire or is it factory - I can't recall mine having that but I've not totally taken the positive side of this one apart yet.
15.7 volts is crazy high and the fluctuation in the engine idle RPM is likely due to the loading and unloading of the alternator - 15.7 volt output will really load an engine down.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase

I would probably replace that cable. At least clean the terminal. The add-on wire should be on top, not underneath.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I would probably replace that cable. At least clean the terminal. The add-on wire should be on top, not underneath.
Very true. An added wire should be on top of the others.
In fact, I do it by placing the added wire on top of the existing nut and then putting a nut on to secure my added cable. This way I can remove that at any time and never disturb the original connection. I don't want to remove my wires and have the truck's systems see any interruption.
I can disconnect any accessory and never interrupt power from batteries to truck.

Jeep Gladiator Start Stop Not Ready - nothing else 1672078731317

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)

Looks like the heat shrink may extend too far on the added connector - impacting the integrity of the connection under the existing connector as mentioned by others.

hickman785

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Security
Looks like the heat shrink may extend too far on the added connector - impacting the integrity of the connection under the existing connector as mentioned by others.
I'll check it...that wire was installed by a dealership full of retards so I'm sure they screwed it up

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT

Jeep Gladiator Start Stop Not Ready - nothing else 1672078731317
You're clamped down on the insulation of this wire, causing a bad connection that is heating things up, including remelting the heat shrink on the battery cables causing the orange substance.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You're clamped down on the insulation of this wire, causing a bad connection that is heating things up, including remelting the heat shrink on the battery cables causing the orange substance.
And it takes some fair heat to melt that glue/sealer in heat shrink. My heat gun on high will do it, on the next setting down, it barely does it. That means it was really hot. The corroded nut and melted cover is all one needs to see.

I'll check it...that wire was installed by a dealership full of retards so I'm sure they screwed it up
Put that added wire on TOP of the others. Make sure the nut doesn't pinch any insulation but is only on the METAL of the wire's end.

LOL - not "PC" but I get it. I can relate - the closest dealership to me said my winch was draining the batteries while it was sitting. Uh, BIG RED SWITCH next to the battery - anyone here knows what a switch does?
Their solution? Move the winch GROUND cable from the top of the IBS (where I have it - in the picture above) over to the fender ground stud. And guess where that black cable from the battery goes? Yeah, over to the fender ground stud. Geesh. Besides, even if they had taken the ground cable completely off, the winch body is grounded to the FRAME of the truck!
Yeah, I can relate.
I about flipped when the service writer told me that the winch was draining batteries and then I saw how they had "fixed it". LOL - yeah, let's ignore the big red cut-off switch there and ignore the fact that winch is grounded, cable or not.
Gee, let's look at where that big black winch ground cable goes to ->
Jeep Gladiator Start Stop Not Ready - nothing else 1672088979906

Clueless.

SPED1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport 2005 tj wrangler
Occupation
service & parts supervisor
Well.... My turn for this today! 2020 3 years old aux not ready charging light on for a few weeks. Just decided to work one final time at a light on my way to work today. Everything died, my regular battery has little to no juice left. would not start on a jump pack. waiting for my tow guy to drop it here at my work so I can replace both batteries.......
Sponsored