Start stop not working

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
My start stop has stopped working. Message says not ready battery charging. no other warning lights. This has been going on for a few weeks. Does this signify a battery problem?
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
My start stop has stopped working. Message says not ready battery charging. no other warning lights. This has been going on for a few weeks. Does this signify a battery problem?
Yes, indicates a failing ESS battery. Have both batteries tested. If it goes on long enough, the main battery can degrade due to the additional load of the failing battery.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I should say it usually indicates a failing battery. Some have reported the problem as being an issue with the charging sensor attached to the main battery. The truck is equipped with a 'smart' charging system that gives priority to the main battery.

Louie4

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 1993 Jeep YJ
Occupation
Injanir
I had this issue last fall and didn’t even think about it until last December. I took it to the dealer and both batteries were bad. But I live in Phoenix where batteries die every couple years.

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold JLU Sport S for JTM, JL Willys Sport
Had this issue with my JL. They replaced the ESS battery and it didn't fix it. I got stuck at a major intersection when I failed to turn off ESS and it wouldn't start. Ugh. Got some dingers yelled at me. "You dick!" and "That's what you get for buying a Jeep!"

It turned out to be a bad relay and they replaced the fuse box.

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Consider yourself lucky.

But seriously, it's probably a battery problem you should either get checked out or just bypass the aux battery.

OP
OP
Mkcagle

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
Appointment set for the shop next Wednesday. Not an emergency so I told them no hurry. Shop manager said definitely a problem that they have seen several times. He said they have been replacing the batteries and doing a computer flash per FC guidance.

RickF

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JT Rubicon
Mine stopped working for weeks with the same message about the system constantly charging. Then the main battery failed completely after only two years. I replaced it with a better one, and not only did the start/stop system begin working again, but it now the engine stays shut off much longer at stoplights--even when new, it would only shut off for about 15-20 seconds with the A/C running. Now, it will easily go a full minute or more, yes, with the A/C still blowing (although not as cold as when the engine is running).
Sponsored