Sponsored

steel vs aluminum, opinions and experience welcome (newby needs advice)

cuteangel1007

First Name
Michellee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Hello all,
opinions and advise/experience on new bumper with winch capabilities.

aluminum?
https://www.jeepbeef.com/shop/product/rival-front-stubby-aluminum-bumper-for-jeep-jk-jl-jt/

Steel (as in just about every other bumper I've looked at, I'm getting a little bumperdrunk) but I like the look and price of this one
https://shop.performancedtl.com/pro...18-21-jeep-wrangler-jl-and-20-21-gladiator-jt
The aluminum one comes with a front skid plate(?) whereas the steel one doesn't. How important is that front protection plate? I'm guessing pretty important to protect the front suspension parts. (still dealing with my constant pull to the right from my other thread.)

Miki
Sponsored

OP
OP

cuteangel1007

First Name
Michellee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
OH,,and it's important to me to have the bumper ready to install, I don't want bare metal that needs powder coating.

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' JTM, 22' JTR, 22' F56S,
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lockheed Martin ASW Test Technician
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all,

aluminum?
https://www.jeepbeef.com/shop/product/rival-front-stubby-aluminum-bumper-for-jeep-jk-jl-jt/

Steel (as in just about every other bumper I've looked at, I'm getting a little bumperdrunk) but I like the look and price of this one
https://shop.performancedtl.com/pro...18-21-jeep-wrangler-jl-and-20-21-gladiator-jt
The aluminum one comes with a front skid plate(?) whereas the steel one doesn't. How important is that front protection plate? I'm guessing pretty important to protect the front suspension parts. (still dealing with my constant pull to the right from my other thread.)

Miki
None of these have a winch rating, and that's the quickest way to rapid delete a bumper. its got holes, fits a 12k, goes to use it, and the bumper rips right off. personally i wish i had forked over more for an aluminum bumper cus weight savings are very important to me now. but for 300 buck and a actual 12k rating, the steel stubby i got is just fine.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Often bumpers are bumpers and don't impact "winch capabilities" because a winch can be mounted on a winch plate, and the bumper won't matter a lick as long as it has openings for the winch and rope.
Some bumpers have the winch mount made into them, some bumpers are bumpers and the winch doesn't mount on the bumper.

OP
OP

cuteangel1007

First Name
Michellee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Often bumpers are bumpers and don't impact "winch capabilities" because a winch can be mounted on a winch plate, and the bumper won't matter a lick as long as it has openings for the winch and rope.
Some bumpers have the winch mount made into them, some bumpers are bumpers and the winch doesn't mount on the bumper.
Thank you,
So What type of bumper would you recommend? I kinda don't want to spend over $1000, preferably less, do you have any recommendations?

Sponsored

OP
OP

cuteangel1007

First Name
Michellee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
None of these have a winch rating, and that's the quickest way to rapid delete a bumper. its got holes, fits a 12k, goes to use it, and the bumper rips right off. personally i wish i had forked over more for an aluminum bumper cus weight savings are very important to me now. but for 300 buck and a actual 12k rating, the steel stubby i got is just fine.
Thank you,
What bumper did you get? I do kinda like the Stubby look of some of them.

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 21 JT Willys
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I'll probably get beat up for sharing this but that's OK. I have both short and long versions of this bumper and have been very satisfied with both. The fit and finish has been impeccable for the 2 years I've owned them. Seriously, NO rust at all. Clean solid welds and the wrinkle finish hasn't chipped, peeled or shown any signs of fading. I've pulled myself with the winch out of some Seriously nasty spots. As in nearly stalled out my winch. These are built with 5mm thick steel so they are heavy but man are they solid. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

https://www.tygerauto.com/bumpers-g...24-gladiator-textured-black-tg-bp6j80068.html

20230812_170328.jpg

OP
OP

cuteangel1007

First Name
Michellee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I'll probably get beat up for sharing this but that's OK. I have both short and long versions of this bumper and have been very satisfied with both. The fit and finish has been impeccable for the 2 years I've owned them. Seriously, NO rust at all. Clean solid welds and the wrinkle finish hasn't chipped, peeled or shown any signs of fading. I've pulled myself with the winch out of some Seriously nasty spots. As in nearly stalled out my winch. These are built with 5mm thick steel so they are heavy but man are they solid. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

https://www.tygerauto.com/bumpers-g...24-gladiator-textured-black-tg-bp6j80068.html

Jeep Gladiator steel vs aluminum, opinions and experience welcome (newby needs advice) 20230812_170328
Thank you, I appreciate all input as I really don't know what I'm doing!! I also appreciate personal experiences!

OP
OP

cuteangel1007

First Name
Michellee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Thank you, I appreciate all input as I really don't know what I'm doing!! I also appreciate personal experiences!
Oh BUMMER!! It's "not for Rubicon trim",, shootskees.

MikeVeee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired
As you know by now, with everything Jeep related, its a very personal preference with a ton of options and specific important-to-you things to consider. Enjoy the journey!

I went with a Rugged Ridge Full-Width HD Steel front bumper 2 years ago and it still looks new.

I didn't want to spend the $$$ for an aluminum version, and since 99% of my driving miles are on the road I wanted the protection of a full size bumper (my off-roading doesn't involve the level of rock climbing that would require a stubby bumper either),
I didn't want to modify or replace my factory skid plate (*not sure how Rubi differs from Mojave plate),
I wanted to still use my factory LED fog lights, but didn't want them located in front of the tires where rocks would be flung into the backs/connections of them,
I wanted the winch mounted low (below the grill openings),
I wanted the winch plate to be included in cost of bumper,
I wanted it to handle the Warn 12s winch.
and didn't want the additional weight to affect anything.

I hope this previous link is of some help to you.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...initive-front-bumper-thread.51743/post-935107

Sponsored

Reddog

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Army. Retired Construction Manager / Contracting Officer
Hello all,

aluminum?

Miki
There is a reason military vehicles use steel as their primary armament component. I have a JT factory steel bumper with Warn 12 winch and Warn winch plate. It is rock solid. The Jeep has an AEV lift and 37's and I noticed only a modest amount of added weight while driving it after install. The vehicle settled less than 1/2" following the added components. I don't rock crawl but overland a lot and I'm ok with the modest weight addition. If you rock crawl, get steel, you can never be too strong with a jeep. When I was looking for a bumper, I looked at the aluminum models but never found any of them to be satisfactory for my needs. They may be okay, but I have no experience with them so defaulted to something easier to evaluate.

OP
OP

cuteangel1007

First Name
Michellee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
There is a reason military vehicles use steel as their primary armament component. I have a JT factory steel bumper with Warn 12 winch and Warn winch plate. It is rock solid. The Jeep has an AEV lift and 37's and I noticed only a modest amount of added weight while driving it after install. The vehicle settled less than 1/2" following the added components. I don't rock crawl but overland a lot and I'm ok with the modest weight addition. If you rock crawl, get steel, you can never be too strong with a jeep. When I was looking for a bumper, I looked at the aluminum models but never found any of them to be satisfactory for my needs. They may be okay, but I have no experience with them so defaulted to something easier to evaluate.
Thank you for your input. I am new to the overland and crawling aspect of Jeep life, so I don't know how involved or how advanced I will get. I'm all stock right now with 33"s and no lift. Maybe if I really get into the crawling I will go larger? idk yet.

OP
OP

cuteangel1007

First Name
Michellee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
As you know by now, with everything Jeep related, its a very personal preference with a ton of options and specific important-to-you things to consider. Enjoy the journey!

I went with a Rugged Ridge Full-Width HD Steel front bumper 2 years ago and it still looks new.

I didn't want to spend the $$$ for an aluminum version, and since 99% of my driving miles are on the road I wanted the protection of a full size bumper (my off-roading doesn't involve the level of rock climbing that would require a stubby bumper either),
I didn't want to modify or replace my factory skid plate (*not sure how Rubi differs from Mojave plate),
I wanted to still use my factory LED fog lights, but didn't want them located in front of the tires where rocks would be flung into the backs/connections of them,
I wanted the winch mounted low (below the grill openings),
I wanted the winch plate to be included in cost of bumper,
I wanted it to handle the Warn 12s winch.
and didn't want the additional weight to affect anything.

I hope this previous link is of some help to you.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...initive-front-bumper-thread.51743/post-935107

Awesome! Thank you for your input!

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' JTM, 22' JTR, 22' F56S,
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lockheed Martin ASW Test Technician
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you,
What bumper did you get? I do kinda like the Stubby look of some of them.
I got a rugged ridge but I don’t recommend it. I would listen to others input and see if you can find a nicer one for cheaper on FB marketplace

NewGladdyOWNR

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
MRI Technologist
I have the Rival aluminum stubby you linked. Great bumper and company with great customer service. This bumper has a winch plate that bolts to the frame. The winch plate is plenty capable of housing a 12,000lb winch.

IMG_9467.jpeg

IMG_9466.jpeg

IMG_9524.jpeg
Sponsored