Sponsored

Stock Rubicon JT MPG--What are you getting?

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Plus our 85 octanes "regular" gas also hampers fuel efficiency but paying .20+ more for 87 is just so wrong!
I don't think that's the case. As I understand it, the 85 is simply more volatile than 87, 89 or 91. Meaning the lower octane has less knock inhibitors than the higher octane gasolines. It is no less efficient.

Here at higher altitude, we don't need the same octane required at sea level to prevent detonation/pinging/knocking. The higher elevation does reduce MPGs unless you have a turbocharger or supercharger to compensate for the lower barometric pressure.

However, as you pointed out, the winter blends tend have a higher RVP, which means less energy, and that will reduce MPG.
Sponsored

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I definitely saw an increase in mpg after about 3000 miles. As my JTR sits right now my odometer is showing an average of 17.8 mpg with 12,128 miles. The last couple days have involved running all over the Denver area during rush hours so mostly sub 20 mph with our traffic and lots of stop and go. Some bursts up to 55 or 65 but mostly a traffic jam.

In October I went for a 2 week solo Elk/deer/pronghorn hunting trip and hauled my trailer with all my camp crap (not a light weight camp either). Driving up I-70 I was running about 65 mph until the last 10 miles which became a parking lot moving at about 5-10 mph. This held steady to the Eisenhower tunnel (11,100 feet and 60 miles from Denver at 5280 feet). Right at the tunnel I was at 14.7 mpg which held at about that mpg all through the dirt roads to my camp in the Flat Tops and through 200 plus miles in 4low.

I came home for a couple days in the middle of that trip but left my camp and trailer there. When I headed back I was basically empty and got 16.7 mpg over the pass.
Thanks for sharing this. I'm also in Colorado and getting ready to buy a Gladiator. (Yeah, I've been "getting ready" for months.) I saw the video where they towed a heavy load up to the Eisenhower tunnel with a Gladiator and the results were not encouraging. So, in your experience, does your JT do OK over Vail Pass (steep grade and high elevation)?

I have a classic Mustang I take up to Steamboat in the summer and I might want to tow it in the future.

Thanks.

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon-solid white
Occupation
Medical Devices
Thanks for sharing this. I'm also in Colorado and getting ready to buy a Gladiator. (Yeah, I've been "getting ready" for months.) I saw the video where they towed a heavy load up to the Eisenhower tunnel with a Gladiator and the results were not encouraging. So, in your experience, does your JT do OK over Vail Pass (steep grade and high elevation)?

I have a classic Mustang I take up to Steamboat in the summer and I might want to tow it in the future.

Thanks.
I estimate my trailer's empty weight to be close to 2000 lbs with all my welding edits and bigger tires. With all my camp junk and giant coolers full of ice, 2 weeks of food, and 40 gallons of water I was probably adding 1500 or more pounds. Plus the truck was full inside and mostly in the bed too. Overall probably 4000 - 4500 lbs hauled on this trip. So not that big of a load really.

Regardless, I could easily have pulled up the Ike or Vail pass at 75 mph if traffic and myself would have let me. I can definitely feel the trailer but it pulled this load with little difficulty. I would say it felt similar to my old PowerWagon with the 5.7 hemi pulling similar trailer and load (I had the same type of trailer but a 14x6 foot model instead of the 8x5 footer I use with the jeep-I sold the prior one as it was too wide and bigger than I needed for these types of overland trips).

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I estimate my trailer's empty weight to be close to 2000 lbs with all my welding edits and bigger tires. With all my camp junk and giant coolers full of ice, 2 weeks of food, and 40 gallons of water I was probably adding 1500 or more pounds. Plus the truck was full inside and mostly in the bed too. Overall probably 4000 - 4500 lbs hauled on this trip. So not that big of a load really.

Regardless, I could easily have pulled up the Ike or Vail pass at 75 mph if traffic and myself would have let me. I can definitely feel the trailer but it pulled this load with little difficulty. I would say it felt similar to my old PowerWagon with the 5.7 hemi pulling similar trailer and load (I had the same type of trailer but a 14x6 foot model instead of the 8x5 footer I use with the jeep-I sold the prior one as it was too wide and bigger than I needed for these types of overland trips).
Good to know. Thank you.

Stickyteflon

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2015 Cherokee Trail Hawk, 2019 MX5 RF GTS
Vehicle Showcase
I have a stock (so far!) Rubicon with the 8 speed and 2300 miles.
I have been averaging about 18.8 mpg in mixed driving.
This is exactly what I’m getting or was getting. I aired down to 34psi to reduce some of the dead zone in the steering and now I’m getting an average of 17.5 mixed on stock MTs... I have an aftermarket bumper, 12K winch, and a Decked system in the back with a few tools. Probably and extra couple hundred pounds over bone stock.

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I have a stock Rubicon Manual 6 speed with 2.3K miles and the Falken mud tires with 37 psi. I am getting an average of 15.8 right now with combined city/hwy with many hills around. I am in California and currently running 89 octane (scared of the crappy 87 here) at 1900 feet elevation.

OP
OP
FR33DOM

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Thanks again to everyones inputs above!

Mine appears to be getting a little better. Just crossed 2000 miles. Apparently most of my driving is city more than others. We did take it on a 3 hour trip up to Breckenridge last weekend. Averaged 17.5MPG at ~5 above speed limit all the way from the Springs. On the way back, we averaged 20.5 at much slower speeds due to VERY heavy snowfall on the way back Sunday night. Plus I think it is more downhill from Breck to the Springs. However one more interesting fact is the whole way back was in 4WD as it was snow pack all the way till we got back in town.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I have a stock Rubicon Manual 6 speed with 2.3K miles and the Falken mud tires with 37 psi. I am getting an average of 15.8 right now with combined city/hwy with many hills around. I am in California and currently running 89 octane (scared of the crappy 87 here) at 1900 feet elevation.

The 87 at costco is good stuff

Chilli

First Name
Wolfgang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLADIATOR RUBICON
Occupation
RETIRED
At sea level plus 11 ft here.
Best i've done was 22+ on back county ads.
Worst was 16+ in city & hard freeway & steep bridges .

Something did change for the better around 4000 miles in mpg.

Have found by using the select auto shift, driver can hold it longer in each gear or short shift to keep rpm lower though out the trip. Takes some getting use to but after a spell it gets to be fun.
You can even holder it in gear longer as you make the steeper bridges. But that is not always more economical. However this hyper fuel driving could become a habit.

There maybe another factor at play here too.
We have the 2020 white rubicon.......lighter color......better mpg
Sponsored