Sponsored

Gladiator Mojave vse Rubicon MPG

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
21/27 :CWL::CWL::CWL:

I average around 17. Granted mine is all mountain but even on long trips in the plains I’ve never had an average hit 20.

Stock JTR.
Sponsored

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Self Employed

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
I've looked at some of these MPG claims and having so much real world experience I have to say BS to many of them.

First of all, apples to apples, a 3.6 Mojave is going to get basically the same MPG as a Rubicon if they are both 100% stock.

The Auto will get better MPG because it has two more gears and is so much more efficient than the manual.

The high MPGs must be diesels and stock ones at that.

Those running 35's or 37s and didn't make any gear changes and claiming 20MPG on gas engine are just plain fibbers.

I know several JT owners, some with gear changes that have 35's and 37s and they struggle to get 13 to 15 mpg. My diesel on 35s struggles to get 18 or so on the highway and 15 around town. When it was stock I got 25 around town and best was 29 something on the highway

I don"t know anyone with a STOCK gas JT getting anywhere over 18 to 19 on the highway. Add a load or lift it and change tire sizes then that goes down accordingly.

How many people with JTs that I know well am I talking about, more than a dozen.

Don't believe some of the outrageous claims you see on this forum, not just in this post but elsewhere.

chadinsc

First Name
chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 jku rubicon
Occupation
manufacturing
those numbers are a bit misleading. definitely diesel mpg. my gas rubicon stock is averaging 18.8 mostly city/back roads

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
The Auto will get better MPG because it has two more gears and is so much more efficient than the manual.
Funny then that the EPA tested the manual as getting better highway mileage. As for "more efficient", well that really depends how you're using that term, because one advantage automatics still haven't taken away from manuals is parasitic drivetrain loss. Automatics turn more power into heat in the transmission than manuals do, and probably always will. It's just not easy to design an automatic that's as simple as a manual, at least if you want people to buy the car. Automated manuals do not shift in ways that modern consumers expect or tolerate, which is why they aren't on the market anymore.

Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I think the Mojave with it's perhaps twenty pound heavier hood, additional plates welded on frame, higher offset tires, one inch lift, larger shocks with remotes would be very close but not better then a Rubicon, which the lower transfer case gearing and front sway bar disconnect and front locker would be less drain on MPG. Also the biggest difference would be the guys driving the Mojaves are tearing up the desert and jumping tall buildings! I'm at 18 around town 21 highway.......Jack

DJPodratz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
That seems really high, even for a highway MT. But then, I'm in a Rubicon with bigger tires. Stock, I got 22 highway. Now, with spacer lift and 35s, about 21 highway.

I will need to keep more accurate records when I fill up rather than just trusting the instrument. One more thing. I filled up the boat with Premium (no ethanol) and also added about 3/4 of a tank to the Vlad the Glad. I suspect this helped quite a bit as I have not typically seen numbers quite so high.

4-Play

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR
If you constantly draft 18 wheelers, maybe, just maybe you could get 27MPG average. Of course any money saved there will surely eat up your deductible for the windshield you will be replacing.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Funny then that the EPA tested the manual as getting better highway mileage. As for "more efficient", well that really depends how you're using that term, because one advantage automatics still haven't taken away from manuals is parasitic drivetrain loss. Automatics turn more power into heat in the transmission than manuals do, and probably always will. It's just not easy to design an automatic that's as simple as a manual, at least if you want people to buy the car. Automated manuals do not shift in ways that modern consumers expect or tolerate, which is why they aren't on the market anymore.
It's the way most people drive a stick. They won't drive in the manner than the perfect conditions created by the EPA hence most automatics in real world will get better mileage

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
It's the way most people drive a stick. They won't drive in the manner than the perfect conditions created by the EPA hence most automatics in real world will get better mileage
I certainly don't drive my manual in cities or on stroads in any way the EPA testing procedure would approve of, but highway driving a manual isn't exactly a shiftfest unless you're doing a lot of weaving.

Last edited:

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
On the highway, it's not going to be worse, in the real world. It'll be 5th and 6th gear, maybe 4th on a mountain climb or 3rd on the steepest grades at lower speeds. Ratios are about the same as the top 3 gears on the Auto as they are on the top 3 on the manual, so no real difference in efficiency. Technically, the manual gets 1 better hwy, and the auto gets 1 better city, but in real life, it's a wash. These aren't geared in any way to drive stick aggressively. It's not geared like a sports car. There's really no way to do it wrong on the highway.

Last edited:

OngsterA

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge Rubicon
Occupation
Software Security
Can't believe this thread is still active. "up to" 21/27 mpg, that's the bottom line includes the diesel. Done! Hopeless to say more about our Jeep's mpg, done!

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I've looked at some of these MPG claims and having so much real world experience I have to say BS to many of them.

First of all, apples to apples, a 3.6 Mojave is going to get basically the same MPG as a Rubicon if they are both 100% stock.

The high MPGs must be diesels and stock ones at that.

Those running 35's or 37s and didn't make any gear changes and claiming 20MPG on gas engine are just plain fibbers.

I know several JT owners, some with gear changes that have 35's and 37s and they struggle to get 13 to 15 mpg. My diesel on 35s struggles to get 18 or so on the highway and 15 around town. When it was stock I got 25 around town and best was 29 something on the highway

I don"t know anyone with a STOCK gas JT getting anywhere over 18 to 19 on the highway. Add a load or lift it and change tire sizes then that goes down accordingly.

How many people with JTs that I know well am I talking about, more than a dozen.

Don't believe some of the outrageous claims you see on this forum, not just in this post but elsewhere.
I have a stock Overland with factory tires. I get 21mpg on the freeway, staying within 5mph of the posted speed limit. I have a RSI Smartcap (250 pounds) on the back and a load of stuff in the back and backseat.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs

By chance, are you at high altitude? I don't drive crazy fast (no more than 72-73, unless very briefly passing), but 20 mpg isn't hard at all to hit on the highway. I also see you're in az, so is the speed limit higher than our 65? Driving much faster than that in our bricks of course kills mpg quickly. Just a couple reasons why some see better mileage than others. Low 20s highway is easily attainable in a gasser on the highway, up to and including 35s. I've never had 37s, so no idea what that'll do to mpgs. Obviously, it'll make it worse, of course. I tend to believe all the low 20s reports though. It's so close to what we're rated for, after all.
Sponsored

Last edited: