Sponsored

kjdf17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I had a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon and have been in love for the past 1.5 years. Everything came to a sudden end this morning when I woke up and went outside to find that it was gone. From video surveillance I obtained from two of my neighbours, we can see two thieves walk up like they owned it, reached under the engine area (Assume they cut the horn wires, disabling it from sounding by the alarm) opened the hood, you can see quick car light flashing on/off, and they jump in it and drove away. Took under 4 mins from the time they walked onto my property at 4:50AM. Called the police and it was the second Jeep Gladiator reported for my area today. There have been several thefts of Jeep Gladiators reported in the past few days in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). Please take precautions to protect your Jeep Gladiators, Wranglers, and other Jeep products as they are all susceptible to new theft measures.

Add a separate hood horn or other deterrent devices along with video security. Wish I had a garage big enough to park mine.

Be safe, protect yourselves and your very defenceless Jeep babies!

Jeep Gladiator STOLEN from my driveway this morning!  New Jeeps are crazy easy to steal apparently... IMG_0135.JPG
Sponsored

BajaTym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JTR, Bright White
Occupation
IT Professional; Retired Military
Sorry to hear about your loss. You know, I thought all this technology was supposed to make it more difficult for thieves to steal our vehicles?/!

I hope your insurance coverage is solid!

Sponsored

tbaker

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 silver Jeep gladiator rubicon
Jeep could add a hood lock from the factory I don’t understand why they have never did that but if somebody wants to steal it they will still get but if Jeep put a lock on the hood from factory it would cost another 3 thousand dollars on the price

vmiaptetr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator, 20 Expy Max, 96 Viper GTS
I feel your pain. I’ve had two motorcycles stolen over the years. One in VA Beach and the other in Hawaii.

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Jeep could add a hood lock from the factory I don’t understand why they have never did that but if somebody wants to steal it they will still get but if Jeep put a lock on the hood from factory it would cost another 3 thousand dollars on the price
The day after I picked up my Gladiator I added hood locks. Mainly to keep my batteries and LED lights safe….and now the jeep itself.

My last Wrangler (TJ) had “The Plug” installed. Now that Iloved!!!! Good luck stealing the Jeep with that. Properly installed it is AWESOME! I have put it on my other cars over the years as it is not some stupid alarm piece. You could leave the keys on the seat without the doors on the car and without the matching unique plug pin the car still will not go as the plug is required to complete the electrical circuits within the car for starting.

They have held contests to see if someone could steal the vehicle with the plug and nope. You have to spend hours tracing all the wires in the engine bay as it is camouflaged etc. Sure they could tow away your JEep but easier to move on.

Most thieves do not even know what the Plug is so have it installed somewhere reachable but somewhat obscure. Even if they figure out the obscure gray plug is involved and cut the wire right at the plug it does not do a bypass letting them steal it.

https://www.ravelco.com/

That so sucks they took it.

Last edited:

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
If they can start, steal, and and drive it away, and especially assuming the door was locked, but even if it wasn't, i just don't think a factory hood lock would have done anything. It's the same way they steal challengers/chargers all the time. They didn't even flat bed it. They straight up started it and drove it away. That means they bypassed any security present. These were pros.

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
If they can start, steal, and and drive it away, and especially assuming the door was locked, but even if it wasn't, i just don't think a factory hood lock would have done anything. It's the same way they steal challengers/chargers all the time. They didn't even flat bed it. They straight up started it and drove it away. That means they bypassed any security present
I doubt the doors were locked. I could be wrong. Maybe the OP could clarify, but I seriously doubt it unless there was forced entry which I also doubt cause he wouldn't have left out if glass was broke everywhere. However, whether the door was locked or not, probably wasn't accidentally left out.

Not saying that's the case here. But at least 85% of stolen cars or even just theft of the contents from a vehicle are usually preventable and are just crimes of opportunity. Again not saying that's the case here. But its true at least in my area and we have a high percentage of car theft. Actually very high as of lately, one of the highest in the country actually. But I do this for a living for quite some time so I'm relatively knowledgable in the matter. (not in stealing cars, but taking the reports for them after the fact.) Leaving the doors unlocked you might as well invite people inside your home. Amazes me how negligent people can be. I see everything from firearms, iphones, computers all left in vehicles (most of which are unlocked). Doesn't mean a criminal still cant and wont break in (forcibly). But that damn sure makes it easy for them leaving it unlocked. Most and I say most; people just go around trying door handles and if its locked they move on.

In this case regardless if left unlocked or not. It makes me wonder how they started it. There is a new devices I've been made aware of (although I'm not fully knowledgable on) that can reprogram key FOPS etc and can re-program a different one used to start engines and possibly unlock doors. However these are pretty rare and just recently been popping up. Probably the excuse that I'd use though as to how they got in if it wasn;t forced entry. Amazing the amount of work criminals can put in. If they only put it to use in other ways.

In any case sorry to hear about your JT OP. Hopefully you get it back in one piece.

Last edited:

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I doubt the doors were locked. I could be wrong. Maybe the OP could clarify, but I seriously doubt it unless there was forced entry which I also doubt cause he wouldn't have left out if glass was broke everywhere. However, leaving out whether the door was locked or not, probably wasn't accidentially left out.

Not saying that's the case here. But at least 85% of stolen cars or even just theft of the contents from a vehicle are usually preventable and are just crimes of opportunity. Again not saying that's the case here. But its true at least in my area and we have a high percentage of car theft. Actually very high as of lately, one of the highest in the country actually. But I do this for a living for quite some time so I'm relatively knowledgable in the matter. (not in stealing cars, but taking the reports for them after the fact.) Leaving the doors unlocked you might as well invite people inside your home. Amazes me how negligent people can be. I see everything from firearms, iphones, computers all left in vehicles (most of which are unlocked). Doesn't mean a criminal still cant and wont break in (forcibly). But that damn sure makes it easy for them leaving it unlocked. Most and I say most; people just go around trying door handles and if its locked they move on.

In this case regardless if left unlocked or not. It makes me wonder how they started it. There is a new devices I've been made aware of (although I'm not fully knowledgable on) that can reprogram key FOPS etc and can re-program a different one used to start engines. Amazing the amount of work criminals can put in. If they only put it to use in other ways.

In any case sorry to hear about your JT OP. Hopefully you get it back in one piece.
Unfortunately, doors locked or not doesn't matter a whole lot on a soft top convertible, or any convertible if the top is off, but the fact that they started it tells me they got around all of that anyway. A crime of opportunity to me is like stealing loose change or something. To steal a whole car, and start it tells me they were planning this, and knew what they were doing.
But I'd be lying if I said I never leave the top or doors off my jeeps. I never leave anything valuable inside when I do so, of course. Since mine is a hard top, when the top is off, it's off for a while. If it was a soft top, it wouldn't matter anyway, because it's soft vinyl. But these guys took the whole thing.

Last edited:

81Mojave

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2010 JKU
Occupation
Transportation
Definitely interested to know how to prevent this!!!! sorry this happened to you.
OP please let us know if you learn anything else about how they did it

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, doors locked or not doesn't matter a whole lot on a soft top convertible, or any convertible if the top is off, but the fact that they started it tells me they got around all of that anyway.
Dude. I know. I'm not an idiot. The OP clearly states he watched the video. Im sure if he had the top off or the soft top broke into, Im sure he would have mentioned it. C'mon now lets be honest.

Not saying anything can;t be defeated. Just saying I often see people don't take measure to atleast make things harder for criminals. 4 minutes he said it happened. Doubt hardly any amount of the 4 minutes was actually attempting to break in it Unless windows were busted which again wasn't stated. And even then that takes seconds. Now starting it maybe. Again, I deal with the criminal element for a living. No need to try and school me.

At the end of the day yes it can happen to anyone. Nothing is fully preventable but a lot is. If someone wants something bad enough they'll do what they can. Situation sucks regardless.

Last edited:

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dude. I know. I'm not an idiot. The OP clearly states he watched the video. Im sure if he had the top off or the soft top broke into, Im sure he would have mentioned it. C'mon now lets be honest.

Not saying anything can;t be defeated. Just saying I often see people don't take measure to atleast make things harder for criminals. 4 minutes he said it happened. Doubt hardly any amount of the 4 minutes was actually attempting to break in it Unless windows were busted which again wasn't stated. And even then that takes seconds. Now starting it maybe. Again, I deal with the criminal element for a living. No need to try and school me.

At the end of the day yes it can happen to anyone. Nothing is fully preventable but a lot is. If someone wants something bad enough they'll do what they can. Situation sucks regardless.
I didn't meant to imply you were, I respect what you had to say. I was largely agreeing, if the Jeep was a "normal" car. As it stands, I just feel bad for the guy. That's a crappy way to start your morning.
Sponsored