BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
The stats I can find show that 63% have access to a garage OR carport. Thats counting open carports, and it's also counting 1 car garages or 2 car garages, when many families have 2 or 3 cars, so something stays out. It also means that 37% don't have a garage or carport at all.
It also varies greatly by region, with the lowest percentages being in the northeast (slightly less than half) and the south (a bit more than half).

fotw958.png
If even accurate another 8 million homes have been built since then.

Not really sure your point tho. This proves that if you want a garage you can get one.
Sponsored

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
Those states support the case for better security sytems.

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
Those are all exceptions now. Vast majority of the country has access to homes with garages.
Your take on this is truly bizarre. Let alone your seemingly tenuous grasp on the realities of real estate across the country, we are not talking about a Ferrari, but a Jeep Gladiator, where even a decently equipped one still costs a bit below the average transaction price for all new vehicles.

Where I live even million dollar houses might only have a smaller single car garage. Even then assuming one has a garage space or two, just a few counterpoints (which are pretty self-evident): (1) trucks are long and not all homes are built for these fancy new lifestyle trucks to be able to park inside; (2) price is an irrelevant comparison, ya even all together, my tools, bikes, skis, strollers, etc. might cost a fraction of the price of a new vehicle (probably not by much), but you can't really just leave those things uncovered in a driveway...; and (3) if you have to choose which one of your cars goes in the garage into an available space, regardless of the price or type of vehicle, my wife's ride would get the spot ;)

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
If even accurate another 8 million homes have been built since then.

Not really sure your point tho. This proves that if you want a garage you can get one.
By buying/building a new house? And land to go with them? And where would you put the garage? The northeast is pretty densely populated, land is at a premium. Most people can't just build a new house with a (possibly multi-car) garage. It took us a long time to find the house we're in with a garage. It was one of the things we required, but everyone doesn't have that luxury.

Also, that doesn't make the old houses without garages go away. Someone has to move into them and... Still not have a garage.

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
The day after I picked up my Gladiator I added hood locks. Mainly to keep my batteries and LED lights safe….and now the jeep itself.

My last Wrangler (TJ) had “The Plug” installed. Now that Iloved!!!! Good luck stealing the Jeep with that. Properly installed it is AWESOME! I have put it on my other cars over the years as it is not some stupid alarm piece. You could leave the keys on the seat without the doors on the car and without the matching unique plug pin the car still will not go as the plug is required to complete the electrical circuits within the car for starting.

They have held contests to see if someone could steal the vehicle with the plug and nope. You have to spend hours tracing all the wires in the engine bay as it is camouflaged etc. Sure they could tow away your JEep but easier to move on.

Most thieves do not even know what the Plug is so have it installed somewhere reachable but somewhat obscure. Even if they figure out the obscure gray plug is involved and cut the wire right at the plug it does not do a bypass letting them steal it.

https://www.ravelco.com/

That so sucks they took it.
That looks pretty awesome, and can't argue with there track record...What year is your jeep and with the plug out, does the factory installed alarm system still work?

Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
By buying/building a new house? And land to go with them? And where would you put the garage? The northeast is pretty densely populated, land is at a premium. Most people can't just build a new house with a (possibly multi-car) garage. It took us a long time to find the house we're in with a garage. It was one of the things we required, but everyone doesn't have that luxury.

Also, that doesn't make the old houses without garages go away. Someone has to move into them and... Still not have a garage.
You posted a chart showing the majority of homes have access to them. So...move into one. There's currently a 9mo inventory in existing houses for sale and its growing. Surely you can find one with a garage.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Your take on this is truly bizarre. Let alone your seemingly tenuous grasp on the realities of real estate across the country, we are not talking about a Ferrari, but a Jeep Gladiator, where even a decently equipped one still costs a bit below the average transaction price for all new vehicles.

Where I live even million dollar houses might only have a smaller single car garage. Even then assuming one has a garage space or two, just a few counterpoints (which are pretty self-evident): (1) trucks are long and not all homes are built for these fancy new lifestyle trucks to be able to park inside; (2) price is an irrelevant comparison, ya even all together, my tools, bikes, skis, strollers, etc. might cost a fraction of the price of a new vehicle (probably not by much), but you can't really just leave those things uncovered in a driveway...; and (3) if you have to choose which one of your cars goes in the garage into an available space, regardless of the price or type of vehicle, my wife's ride would get the spot ;)
Its not bizarre. I do find it odd that you find it bizarre that a guy on the internet says garage parking is the way.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
You posted a chart showing the majority of homes have access to them. So...move into one. There's currently a 9mo inventory in existing houses for sale and its growing. Surely you can find one with a garage.
Someone will still be in those other houses without garages... Take the Northeast. About 50% of homes have a garage. That means, no matter what, and no matter who moves where, 50% won't have a garage, let alone enough bays for all their cars. Some of them (Ok, pretty much all of them, outside of NYC) will have a car. In the West even, where there are a lot of garages, 3/4 will have a garage. But that means, no matter what 25% won't have a garage. Everyone can't move into the houses with garages. Everyone with a garage won't have enough bays. There is more demand than there is supply.

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
Its not bizarre. I do find it odd that you find it bizarre that a guy on the internet says garage parking is the way.
We are talking about Jeeps here right? Where many of the most hardcore enthusiasts ride them hard and put them away wet?

But you are right, they are ill equipped to be parked outside.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You can open the hood without it setting off an alarm, unless you've enabled the hood alarm with tazer/jscan. No idea why. But there is a shock sensor, and there is a tamper alarm. I'm also not sure if base sports have alarms at all. The owners manual just says "if equipped". But you can't hotwire modern cars, so they had to steal some signal to get it to start. They bypassed everything.
Ah, so that's not enabled by default, apparently....

CBC Features:

Status current as of time of logging ->

Digital Door Ajar AlfaOBDStart.States:
Driver Door Ajar switch State: Ajar
Passenger Door Ajar Switch State: Not Ajar
Left Rear Door Ajar Switch State: Not Ajar
Right Rear Door Ajar Switch State: Not Ajar
Hood Ajar Switch State: Not Ajar

I had the driver door open - it was getting hot in there.

Vehicle Theft Alarm (VTA) Enable Data:
Vehicle Theft Alarm (VTA) State: Disarmed
System Lock Not Received: Yes
Ignition In Run or Start: No
Driver Door Ajar: Yes
Passenger Door Ajar: No
Left Rear Door Ajar: No
Right Rear Door Ajar: No
Trunk/Liftgate Ajar: No
Hood Ajar: No
Intrusion Transceiver Module (ITM) Motion Detected: No
Intrusion Transceiver Module (ITM) Fault: No
Intrusion Transceiver Module (ITM) Tilt: No
Spare Input: No
Vehicle Speed Too High: No
In Ship Mode: No
Vehicle Theft Alarm (VTA) Feature Enabled: No

Interesting. I'd like to enable it on my 2022 if it ever arrives. I want to know if anything is open if I have this thing locked. So I'll be trying to figure out what needs to be set or enabled or whatever.

Looks like one would simply enable the VTA hood ajar monitoring.

Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
We are talking about Jeeps here right? Where many of the most hardcore enthusiasts ride them hard and put them away wet?

Even more to that point...vast majority of Jeep mods are exterior and easily stolen.

I ride mine hard AF and you can still keep them sexy.

Jeep Gladiator STOLEN from my driveway this morning!  New Jeeps are crazy easy to steal apparently... 1

Jeep Gladiator STOLEN from my driveway this morning!  New Jeeps are crazy easy to steal apparently... 271091283_10221530685439572_2689093369151684921_n

Jeep Gladiator STOLEN from my driveway this morning!  New Jeeps are crazy easy to steal apparently... Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 10.11.50 AM

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Someone will still be in those other houses without garages... Take the Northeast. About 50% of homes have a garage. That means, no matter what, and no matter who moves where, 50% won't have a garage, let alone enough bays for all their cars. Some of them (Ok, pretty much all of them, outside of NYC) will have a car. In the West even, where there are a lot of garages, 3/4 will have a garage. But that means, no matter what 25% won't have a garage. Everyone can't move into the houses with garages. Everyone with a garage won't have enough bays. There is more demand than there is supply.
Yes, I get that there's more people than houses with garages. Thats not really relevant. There's plenty of reasons for people to not have a garage too.

MikeyK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Teacher
If you have one. And one that'll fit a gladiator. Mine won't fully fit (too long for the door to close), and lots of folks just don't have garages.
For some reason I don’t think my Gladiator fits in my garage as easily as my 2003 Ram quad cab.

It might just be my imagination, or more likely, all the extra junk and mowers I’ve accumulated since then.

Regardless, it barely fits in my garage 🤷‍♂️

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The current trend, and norm, is new construction gets a garage - often with 2 car parking and a 3rd for your golf cart, boat, motorcycle or whatever.
But even at that, it's not deep. It's wide enough to get two typical cars in there side-by-side, little else. And a Gladiator would be backed up to the back wall, bumper just inside the door, maybe. Don't even think about lifting your truck - garages are made with "SPEND NO MONEY" in mind, so the garage doors are not tall, that's money contractors just won't spend. Doors are basic, small, and garages aren't deep. Concrete costs money, lots are small. The larger the footprint of a home and garage, the more expensive it is.

However, all of those people who are planted in existing home, maybe paid for, are supposed to uproot kids, pets, go through the hassle of selling, then pay the thousands to move once they go through the other hassle and pain in the a$$ to locate and buy another suitable home they can afford.................. all of the dollars, hours/days involved.........

My brother lives in a very well-off neighborhood. He's got a very nice, but very pricey home. He's been a businessman for years, a large head-hunter corporation he founded with a partner, and now a big pet grooming and boarding business that's experiencing explosive growth. They've moved several times and with this one, have done a lot of custom work and landscaping, having a neat tropical stream put in their back yard. Their garage holds 2 vehicle comfortably. Her Land Rover, his Jeep - 2 kids that drive, and the rather rare Javelin he gave to his son.
Something has to sit out. There's no room for adding on, heck, you live in town here and run out of sugar, reach out your window and knock on the neighbor's window to borrow sugar. There's room to walk between with a 22" rotary lawn mower (but only during certain hours)
So I guess if he wants a gladiator he's screwed.
Oh, well. He's got his TJ he had imported from one of the eastern states and he is happy with it.

I'm not sure where they park this Jeep, however...........

Jeep Gladiator STOLEN from my driveway this morning!  New Jeeps are crazy easy to steal apparently... 1655489862558

Last edited:

jjs3845

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Overland

and if someone doesn't steal them, they're talking the catalytic converters :mad:
Sponsored