www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
  • Banned
The stubby antenna. Why do so many Jeep owners do this mod? Is it because the stock one is huge and hits stuff? Is it because you use digital media more today than ever? Or do you not care about radio anymore? I tested the gain of my antenna vs the stubby and the results might surprise you.
Sponsored

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Whats AM/FM?!?! :) Seriously though Satellite or digital only for me. I have never even tuned the radio to an AM/FM channel. The stock antenna was removed before I drove it off the lot. The only use I have had for the stock one is to hang a trail flag on it for a club charity ride.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
The stubby antenna. Why do so many Jeep owners do this mod? Is it because the stock one is huge and hits stuff? Is it because you use digital media more today than ever? Or do you not care about radio anymore? I tested the gain of my antenna vs the stubby and the results might surprise you.
The old reason and the reason I still do it are the longer antenna can whipped back and slapped the windshield on a trail and crack the windshield. It happened on JKU I had and I know more than a handful of people it's happened to. There are some stubby's that get almost as good of reception as the longer one. You can't get the rubber ones, it has to be a aluminum one and it has to have copper inside of it. Advance auto sells a good one for around $20 that is aluminum with copper in it and it's does great. Not all are created equal.

But the main reason people started putting stubby's on years ago was to keep the antenna away from the windshield and for some if you have side mount lights like I had on my JKU, the antenna sticks up to far and it gets right in the path of the light on that side.

Sponsored

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’m going to relocate my stubby to the bolt location for the soft top with a homemade mount. I’ll test it in both locations top on/top off and see how it does. I have a hardtop and it will fit underneath when top is on.
Jeep Gladiator Stubby Antenna Install - Testing the loss of gain in the radio 5D956A93-82DD-4249-9C15-21FDE727CD0B

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
You can't get the rubber ones, it has to be a aluminum one and it has to have copper inside of it.
There are rubberized stubby antennas available with coils inside, designed for AM/FM reception.

Kevin

OP
OP
Brfertig [HACKED ACCOUNT]
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
  • Banned
I’m going to relocate my stubby to the bolt location for the soft top with a homemade mount. I’ll test it in both locations top on/top off and see how it does. I have a hardtop and it will fit underneath when top is on.
Jeep Gladiator Stubby Antenna Install - Testing the loss of gain in the radio 5D956A93-82DD-4249-9C15-21FDE727CD0B
Nice idea!

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I changed mine because the car wash brushes were tangling in the long metal one. It never did damage but it was scary to watch it.

By the way, I tested before and after reception just for the sake of curiosity, and it’s not as good. I so rarely use radio anymore that it doesn’t matter to me.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
There are rubberized stubby antennas available with coils inside, designed for AM/FM reception.

Kevin
True but in my experience the aluminum ones with the coils get a little better reception than the rubberized ones. At least as far as driving goes. If I'm in my home town either one gets the same reception, I'm particularly talking 100 or more miles from the house I can still get some of the channels from Charlotte NC with the aluminum one I couldn't get with the rubberized one I had installed. Both were stubby ones with coils just the aluminum stubby got a little better reception.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
You can actually cut down your stock antenna and reattach the ball in the end and then plastic dip it. I know a few guys in a local jeep club who have done this and had good results as well in regards to reception. Some used JB weld to reattach the ball and some soldered it back on. Just a idea if you don't feel comfortable buying a stubby because you feel like you might lose reception.

OP
OP
Brfertig [HACKED ACCOUNT]
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
Thanks guys for all the comments and the video has shot to number 2 in my list of most watched. Would you all be interested in a showdown of multiple stubby antennas?

Brandon

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Thanks guys for all the comments and the video has shot to number 2 in my list of most watched. Would you all be interested in a showdown of multiple stubby antennas?

Brandon
I think it would be cool. Couple premium ones. Couple amazon ones. Could also test a copper fling wire up to a rack just for kicks.

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
have you done this yet?
Sponsored