Sponsored

Sub Upgrade Kicker HS10

Bandit’s Lair

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jason
Joined
Jul 9, 2025
Threads
48
Messages
4,405
Reaction score
7,502
Location
Southern California
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Ouch. Yeah my way sounds like a boatload more work. I’ll just tappity tap tap tap. Hopefully the 12 fits behind rear drivers side seat. Can’t be bumpin my Hick Hop on a weak 8” sub!!! :CWL:
Sponsored

 

Hasted

Well-Known Member
First Name
Bradley
Joined
Jul 15, 2021
Threads
0
Messages
64
Reaction score
163
Location
Ohio
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Occupation
ASL Interpreter/ Teacher
Install was cake yesterday. Ended up doing B pillar.

I dont have the settings quite right yet. Sounded bland first test, but got it a lot better so far. I think it still needed adjusting. Definitely drowns out the factory sub.

Id be interested in what everyone has their settings at to test.
 

Bandit’s Lair

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jason
Joined
Jul 9, 2025
Threads
48
Messages
4,405
Reaction score
7,502
Location
Southern California
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Install was cake yesterday. Ended up doing B pillar.

I dont have the settings quite right yet. Sounded bland first test, but got it a lot better so far. I think it still needed adjusting. Definitely drowns out the factory sub.

Id be interested in what everyone has their settings at to test.
Give it a few days of use. A lot of subs have a “break in” time. The cone of the sub needs to flex and stretch a bit when new. This is a good thing. Means it’s not one of those cheap paper cones that will fail quickly.

To get the break in done quicker: If you have a way to download tracks, download a bass test that is just slightly outside the use range of the sub on either side. Keep the volume low and increase slightly with each playing of the track. It’s boring but it puts the sub through its full range. Avoid ones that are actual music and look for ones that are a true bass range test.
 

billinokc

Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
8
Reaction score
9
Location
OKC
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
My HS10 is tapped into the speaker wires in the B-pillar with an unusually elaborate connector layout so that if I ever remove the HS10 I can simply unplug the subwoofer, plug the two sides of the factory harness back together and I'm done.
I would like to do a similar thing with the Alpine subwoofer wiring. It uses an unusual 6 pin connector that is difficult to source. I am curious how you tracked down the B-pillar connectors that you used. Has anyone been able to find the 6-pin connector that is used by the Alpine subwoofer?
Thank You, Bill
 

ChrisNLA

Well-Known Member
First Name
Chris
Joined
Jun 7, 2022
Threads
22
Messages
3,229
Reaction score
6,079
Location
Louisiana
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
I would like to do a similar thing with the Alpine subwoofer wiring. It uses an unusual 6 pin connector that is difficult to source. I am curious how you tracked down the B-pillar connectors that you used. Has anyone been able to find the 6-pin connector that is used by the Alpine subwoofer?
Thank You, Bill
The connectors that I used in my B-pillar are called Deutsch connectors. Common in heavy equipment / big trucks, and starting to see them more in race cars and general upfitting.

Anyway I have an entire kit of them at the house - I moonlight doing automotive electrical for my friends sometimes. Did it for years on new emergency vehicles.

I bet the mating side of the Alpine connector is highly unusual / doesn't exist outside of the subwoofer itself. I have had luck using Google Lens or another image searching tool though to help identify connectors and their potential sources.

My subwoofer thread is here:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...51hs10-hideaway-sub-install-non-alpine.97650/
 

Sponsored

billinokc

Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
8
Reaction score
9
Location
OKC
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
The connectors that I used in my B-pillar are called Deutsch connectors. Common in heavy equipment / big trucks, and starting to see them more in race cars and general upfitting.

Anyway I have an entire kit of them at the house - I moonlight doing automotive electrical for my friends sometimes. Did it for years on new emergency vehicles.

I bet the mating side of the Alpine connector is highly unusual / doesn't exist outside of the subwoofer itself. I have had luck using Google Lens or another image searching tool though to help identify connectors and their potential sources.

My subwoofer thread is here:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...51hs10-hideaway-sub-install-non-alpine.97650/
Thank You, Your information is the best. I have, after some serious googling, and some help from Google AI, found what I believe to be - at least one side of the six pin subwoofer connector. It is a Yazaki 7282-6454.

https://www.mouser.com/en/c/?q=yazaki 7282-6454
 

SmokedTrail22

Well-Known Member
First Name
Ethan
Joined
Jul 12, 2025
Threads
8
Messages
51
Reaction score
41
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Texas Trail Edition
Bringing this thread back to life… I just installed the HS10 and followed TrailSevens install video. However, I am not getting any sound out of it. I tapped into the soundbar speaker wires in the B-pillar and used a multimeter to double check and make sure it was getting power. The sub power light turns on. I’ve messed with the gain, cross over and the boost… still nothing. Not sure what the issue is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 

Schaft

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mark
Joined
Apr 16, 2024
Threads
2
Messages
97
Reaction score
57
Location
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Retired
Bringing this thread back to life… I just installed the HS10 and followed TrailSevens install video. However, I am not getting any sound out of it. I tapped into the soundbar speaker wires in the B-pillar and used a multimeter to double check and make sure it was getting power. The sub power light turns on. I’ve messed with the gain, cross over and the boost… still nothing. Not sure what the issue is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Have you switched the auto turn on, to the DC setting?
 

Thunderspud

Well-Known Member
First Name
Angus
Joined
Jun 28, 2023
Threads
4
Messages
506
Reaction score
866
Location
Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2012 Grand Cherokee, 1973 J10, 2021 Mahindra Roxor
Bringing this thread back to life… I just installed the HS10 and followed TrailSevens install video. However, I am not getting any sound out of it. I tapped into the soundbar speaker wires in the B-pillar and used a multimeter to double check and make sure it was getting power. The sub power light turns on. I’ve messed with the gain, cross over and the boost… still nothing. Not sure what the issue is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Is the Input Level selector on the HS10 set to HI?
Do you still have audio from the soundbar speakers?
Have you adjusted the remote knob in addition to the BOOST setting on the sub itself?
 

Schaft

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mark
Joined
Apr 16, 2024
Threads
2
Messages
97
Reaction score
57
Location
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Retired
Is the Input Level selector on the HS10 set to HI?
Do you still have audio from the soundbar speakers?
Have you adjusted the remote knob in addition to the BOOST setting on the sub itself?
From my research, if you’re using the rear most speaker wires,(sound bar, wires), as an input, it is considered high. Low would be interconnect cables, also known as RCA cables. So yes, you would have to put that setting on high. And as I said before, make sure, if you’re not using the blue power wire, as the auto turn on, the switch, needs to be set to DC. It senses the input from the rear most speaker wires, and turns your amp on. Mine stays on, for several minutes, after I shut the vehicle off, as there is still a signal, until everything completely powers down. Had me worried at first, but when I googled it, that’s what I learned.
 

Sponsored

SmokedTrail22

Well-Known Member
First Name
Ethan
Joined
Jul 12, 2025
Threads
8
Messages
51
Reaction score
41
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Texas Trail Edition
Have you switched the auto turn on, to the DC setting?
From my research, if you’re using the rear most speaker wires,(sound bar, wires), as an input, it is considered high. Low would be interconnect cables, also known as RCA cables. So yes, you would have to put that setting on high. And as I said before, make sure, if you’re not using the blue power wire, as the auto turn on, the switch, needs to be set to DC. It senses the input from the rear most speaker wires, and turns your amp on. Mine stays on, for several minutes, after I shut the vehicle off, as there is still a signal, until everything completely powers down. Had me worried at first, but when I googled it, that’s what I learned.
Yes, I have it on DC, HI input and 0 Phase. All my other speakers and the factory sub still work as normal.
 

Schaft

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mark
Joined
Apr 16, 2024
Threads
2
Messages
97
Reaction score
57
Location
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Retired
Yes, I have it on DC, HI input and 0 Phase. All my other speakers and the factory sub still work as normal.
Yeah, that’s a head scratcher, for sure. At this point, all I can do is suggest turning the subwoofer gain, on the HS 10, all the way down, the bass boost knob, under the dash or wherever, all the way down, put the head unit volume, to 3/4. Play something with a lot of base, that you’re familiar with. Start by turning the bass boost on the amp up. The instructions said, not in all cases, but in a good portion, 1/2 to 3/4, is the sweet spot, for the bass boost, on the sub. It went on to say, that the knob under the dash, should only be tweaked, a fraction. It says that’s all the tweaking, that should be needed, if you have everything else, adjusted properly. Also, the phase knob, needs to be checked in both positions. Everyone’s system is unique, unto itself, so to say.
I’m not an expert, but getting everything dialed in, is the hardest part
 

Schaft

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mark
Joined
Apr 16, 2024
Threads
2
Messages
97
Reaction score
57
Location
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Retired
Yeah, that’s a head scratcher, for sure. At this point, all I can do is suggest turning the subwoofer gain, on the HS 10, all the way down, the bass boost knob, under the dash or wherever, all the way down, put the head unit volume, to 3/4. Play something with a lot of base, that you’re familiar with. Start by turning the bass boost on the amp up. The instructions said, not in all cases, but in a good portion, 1/2 to 3/4, is the sweet spot, for the bass boost, on the sub. It went on to say, that the knob under the dash, should only be tweaked, a fraction. It says that’s all the tweaking, that should be needed, if you have everything else, adjusted properly. Also, the phase knob, needs to be checked in both positions. Everyone’s system is unique, unto itself, so to say.
I’m not an expert, but getting everything dialed in, is the hardest part
I had a memory lapse. It did say to make your initial adjustments, by unplugging the bass boost knob at the sub. Make those adjustments and then do the base boost knob. Make sure the volume is down when you plug that in though.
 

SmokedTrail22

Well-Known Member
First Name
Ethan
Joined
Jul 12, 2025
Threads
8
Messages
51
Reaction score
41
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Texas Trail Edition
I had a memory lapse. It did say to make your initial adjustments, by unplugging the bass boost knob at the sub. Make those adjustments and then do the base boost knob. Make sure the volume is down when you plug that in though.
Unfortunately I am still not getting any sound. May just have a bad unit. Running out of ideas
 

Schaft

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mark
Joined
Apr 16, 2024
Threads
2
Messages
97
Reaction score
57
Location
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Retired
Unfortunately I am still not getting any sound. May just have a bad unit. Running out of ideas
If you knew somebody with the same sub, you could unplug and swap them to see if it’s the unit or the wiring. Sounds like you know what you’re doing. You did say the light was on, so it must be grounded. At this point, it’s probably worth checking to make sure it’s properly grounded. I had to sand off some paint, to ground mine.
Sponsored

 
 







Top