Sponsored

sun visor broken, $500

Rkowalski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Overland
My drive's side broke and I had to replace it(out of warranty) and my passenger side just broke also. What a piece of you know what. I have never had a visor break in any other vehicle, this is ridiculous and Jeep needs to own it
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You've never owned some of the cars from the 1980s, then........... the visor mounts were plastic and held to the roof structure via 3 screws through the plastic mount into the roof structure.
The visors were NOT secured on the inboard end. Vibration over time, and the fact that eventually the visor pivoting on the rod would get "sticky" over time - pop, the mounting legs broke off.
The fix? Find a 1970s car with metal visor mounts (pot metal, but still far better)
There's a reason that visors from certain cars from that era are extremely hard to find today.

I've not had issues with our Jeeps but then I don't often swing the visor to the side and slide it back to block sun from the door glass, either and when and where possible, the visor stays clipped to the inboard end.
Once unclipped and swung back to the side, it's a heck of a lot of force on that mount, even worse when the visor is slid back to the rear to block sun coming in from the side window.
I suspect they didn't account for that type of use - especially in a vehicle that doesn't have a floating on air ride.
They are letting a lot of weight hang a long ways from that pivot point in a vehicle that has vibrations and rougher ride than many cars.
I tell my wife every time she uses those visors in other than the default, clipped, position - put it back, clip it back in place if not actively using it.
The mount needs to be redesigned. Bet it wasn't tested thoroughly for off to the side, extended rearward use over time in a bumpy vehicle.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
My drivers side broke dealer had one on the shelve and put it in, he did say the MSRP was about $450. I bought the visor repair / brace kits for both our Jeeps. Was told be sure to get a metal one with two holes, there are a lot of options out there….Jack

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport

Sponsored

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 GC Trailhawk
Occupation
I.T. Architect
Add me to the broken visor club.. came home last night, after having the sunrider open on the way home from the office.. flipped the visor down to close and latch the rider. When I flipped it back up.. crash.. that crappy little thin plastic sleeve inside the visor gave up the ghost.

Already ordered something like the above posted brackets.

Now, I'll admit I've seen these visor posts for a couple of years, and have immediately found myself thinking: 'Man, what are these jokers doing to cause this thing to break?!?'.

I believe the proper answer is... nothing.. literally nothing. It's just a craptastic design, that could easily be fixed by making that post a little longer, and putting a metal clip on the back side.. OR, even just incorporating these reinforcement brackets.

For the record, I'm usually driving by myself, about 90% of the 40k miles I have on the JT.... the ONLY time those visors are even raised or lowered, is when we open the Sunrider, which I didn't HAVE until last year... prior to owning it, they were never used. My wife, in fact, just NOW realized they're illuminated mirrored visors, last night...

How the hell something like this can just 'break', without any use, is damn near criminal. I probably raised and lowered them... maybe 200 times max.

~ Casp

Rkowalski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Overland
Thx, I did order the reinforcement brackets. Called the dealer and they are offering to pay for the broken passenger side visor, since I have already paid/replaced the driver's side. I appreciate the help/suggestions! Thx Rich

Reddout99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2021 80th Anniversary JT Sport S
Occupation
Cad Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Got the above added to my Amazon Cart. Thanks!