Sunk it but winched out

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
But then they would void his warranty for being proactive!! Sorry had to…
When we take our gladiators swimming should we also see how water could get into the transmission?

Our owners manual has this to say:
Chrysler’s Owners Manual (TRANSMISSION),
pg. 439 “…change the fluid and filter if the fluid becomes contaminated (with water, etc)…”

Of course mine had glycol and that’s a different story but if this tranny is supposed to be sealed, how could water etc contamination actually happen?

Id do an oil analysis on the transmission just to be sure.
Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
But then they would void his warranty for being proactive!! Sorry had to…
That actually made me laugh. “No good deed goes unpunished” (not my quote) You’re hooped if you care and hooped if you don’t.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
The special vents are supposed to block water, allow air.
These are membrane breathers, not your grandfather's open vent with a nylon cap.
Please show me where this "special" vent is for the front axle.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Just change the fluids yourself, or have a reputable shop that isn’t a dealer do it. That way you’re being proactive, without paperwork being filed at the dealer regarding the event. Never tell a dealer you submerged in water or mud. They’ll use it as ammunition, even if no damage was done.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Please show me where this "special" vent is for the front axle.
At it again? I'm referring to the low vents on the rear axles.
You know the vent for the front doesn't need that because it's up high enough in the engine bay that if you got it submerged, it would flood the engine with water first.
It sits higher than your air intake, especially as you go down into the water. No valve or anything special needed there at all, just a nylon cap in the end of the hose spaced away from the hose end far enough to let air in and out.
Only the rear axle can be problematic. Front is always open to air so even as the water cools a warm or hot front differential, there should be no vacuum formed inside.
Looks like I have someone waiting to pounce.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
I'm referring to the low vents on the rear axles.
Oh, gotcha. The discussion was about both front & rear axle vents, and you simply stated that the vents (plural) are membrane breathers. Sorry for the confusion, nobody is out to get you. Deep breaths.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a picture still submerged? By the sound of it you haven't damaged anything. No codes or lights popping up?

The reason I ask for a picture is to see if the exhaust went under, but if you drove away I think you're in the clear. I've water logged a Wrangler once through the intake, and I've been to about an inch under the door in my Gladiator. Neither needed any special maintenance afterward.
I participated in the DOJ CAMP (Marijuana grow eradication) program in Humboldt and Mendocino Counties in the 80-90's and swamped a forestry Jeep in 4 feet of water in a deep stream chasing someone running from us on a dirt bike (he knew where to cross and I didn't). We pulled the Jeep out with another 4x4 vehicle and after it was allowed to dry out, we started it up and went on.... The fool on the bike could outrun the Jeep... but he couldn't outrun the Bell Jet Ranger and eventually, he was caught.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, gotcha. The discussion was about both front & rear axle vents, and you simply stated that the vents (plural) are membrane breathers. Sorry for the confusion, nobody is out to get you. Deep breaths.
LOL - and gotcha right back. :like:
I saw the vent on mine the first week (I think some of the Wranglers of the past had it near the radiator?? MAYBE?, I can't recall exactly) and figured - man, if I ever get that one under, I may as well call a tow truck as that engine won't get me back home with the air intake lower than the front diff vent.
It's sort of too bad the rear vent isn't clear up into the walls of the box on these. They could get the vent way up there, maybe even up in the area of the fuel door or higher.

Query - has anyone extended their rear differential vent up high into the box walls?

On my car, it's up inside the frame rail (but with a standard vent cap)
The front diff vent is up on the front left shock tower area, about the same height as the intake manifold, clipped to the shock tower.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Thanks to this thread, I'll be changing my differential fluids for peace of mind.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks to this thread, I'll be changing my differential fluids for peace of mind.
In years past, it wasn't as big a deal - I rarely ever saw any issues inside a differential I worked on aside from other sorts of damage and abuse. But with these I've seen enough pics and posts of fluid changes where the Jeep was never even in the water, there was "debris" like metal glitter, and other things that made me think - maybe it was a good thing they changed the fluid.
There's something going on with these - not referring to the water.
The water bit just adds to the idea that maybe it should be checked anyway and the being deep in water just is that final straw that makes the suggestion that much stronger to "do it".
I've been through grill-high snow, but not water......

heftysmurf

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Query - has anyone extended their rear differential vent up high into the box walls?

I did on my JKU. I've yet to dig deep into the JT because, well, I'm not offroading much in this critter. BUT, it was rather straightforward getting longer hose and there was a one-way valve on the end if I remember correctly. Extended maybe a foot. Some people extended above engine compartment for front and to the tail light pockets for the rear.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Some people extended above engine compartment for front and to the tail light pockets for the rear.
I hadn't thought of the tail light area but that would be super-simple and make it easy to check or keep an eye on it if necessary. All that's really needed is a longer hose, for the most part.

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professional
"all highway miles" read the marketplace ad, but some reason smells like mildew LOL
Sponsored