Sunk it but winched out

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
I extended front, rear & transfer case breathers on my JK. The rear goes up behind the tail light. I extended the front axle breather on my JT because it was super simple to do and I already had the materials on hand. I am planning on extending the rear breather to up behind the tail light, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

... and there was a one-way valve on the end if I remember correctly.
The normal (non-membrane) plastic breather caps are not one-way valves on the JK or JT. The loose 'cap' on the end is just to help keep debris out. I don't trust it, so I always cut a piece of lawnmower foam air filter material to go over the fitting once it is extended into a relatively dry area.
Sponsored

heftysmurf

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
The normal (non-membrane) plastic breather caps are not one-way valves on the JK or JT. The loose 'cap' on the end is just to help keep debris out. I don't trust it, so I always cut a piece of lawnmower foam air filter material to go over the fitting once it is extended into a relatively dry area.

Good to know! Thanks.

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 JLU
What material/size are you using to extend the breathers?

it_trailblzr

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO
Occupation
Social Extrovert
LOL - and gotcha right back. :like:
I saw the vent on mine the first week (I think some of the Wranglers of the past had it near the radiator?? MAYBE?, I can't recall exactly) and figured - man, if I ever get that one under, I may as well call a tow truck as that engine won't get me back home with the air intake lower than the front diff vent.
It's sort of too bad the rear vent isn't clear up into the walls of the box on these. They could get the vent way up there, maybe even up in the area of the fuel door or higher.

Query - has anyone extended their rear differential vent up high into the box walls?

On my car, it's up inside the frame rail (but with a standard vent cap)
The front diff vent is up on the front left shock tower area, about the same height as the intake manifold, clipped to the shock tower.
I tried it, and boy was my proctologist mad!
And it kind of hurt.......

OP
OP
COwens

COwens

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I just sunk in a water/mud hole. Water poured in when door opened to set the winch. Got and everything is fine except the interior mess.

should I get trans/case/axles/oil changed asap? 6,000 miles on it. Oil changed once already. Thanks for all opinions.
All: changed fluids in diffs and transfer case. A week later An apparent oil leak at the joint between the motor and transmission. Rear main seal right? We’ll, it leaked for a few
Days and now has stopped. Never lost any oil level BUT fro
The looks they overfilled and I think the pressure pushed oil out without damaging the seal. We’ll see
Over the next week. Not gonna let them tear apart the tranny to look for a leak that likely isn’t there anymore and was their fault. Gonna have them drain and refill to the correct level. Never seen anything like it

Sponsored

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
FWiW, there are two rubber plugs at the bottom of where the engine and transmission mate. These are apparently Jeeps answer for preventing any and all foreign substance intrusion. If these are/we’re missing on your truck, then water/muddy water/mud could have gotten in this area and can destroy the seal on the transmission where the torque converter is installed. This can cause a leak as well.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
FWiW, there are two rubber plugs at the bottom of where the engine and transmission mate. These are apparently Jeeps answer for preventing any and all foreign substance intrusion. If these are/we’re missing on your truck, then water/muddy water/mud could have gotten in this area and can destroy the seal on the transmission where the torque converter is installed. This can cause a leak as well.
Are these plugs visible from the outside?

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
All: changed fluids in diffs and transfer case. A week later An apparent oil leak at the joint between the motor and transmission. Rear main seal right? We’ll, it leaked for a few
The looks they overfilled and I think the pressure pushed oil out without damaging the seal. We’ll see
Over the next week. Not gonna let them tear apart the tranny to look for a leak that likely isn’t there anymore and was their fault. Gonna have them drain and refill to the correct level. Never seen anything like it
Overfilling does not increase any pressure let alone on a seal. Just not possible.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red

This is sadly very common and when i first read your post my thought was, this man will have a leaking RMS soon. The JL/JT RMS is very susceptible to sand from dirty water, it doesnt even need to be stopped in 30" of water to cause issues.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This is sadly very common and when i first read your post my thought was, this man will have a leaking RMS soon. The JL/JT RMS is very susceptible to sand from dirty water, it doesnt even need to be stopped in 30" of water to cause issues.
The 3.6 doesn't have the dirt seal on the outside of the seal ?? (like a reverse seal, keeps crap out of the seal)

OP
OP
COwens

COwens

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
OP
OP
COwens

COwens

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I just sunk in a water/mud hole. Water poured in when door opened to set the winch. Got and everything is fine except the interior mess.

should I get trans/case/axles/oil changed asap? 6,000 miles on it. Oil changed once already. Thanks for all opinions.
Mystery solved for all. The plugs in the bell housing are nothing more than protective covers for posts the casing is placed on in production. See the pics. After I get mine back the plugs are out and the taping begins. I wheel this things. Can’t have muck all over the flywheel every time I take it out.

441F8F43-C854-4EB0-B51A-C13688023E4D.png

E88D7AAE-6796-40B2-A17C-157F4B0F0B3D.png

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
So going in dirty deep water can cause a seal leak?
After I get mine back the plugs are out and the taping begins.
What kind of tape?

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
So going in dirty deep water can cause a seal leak?

What kind of tape?
I actually think it's the getting stuck part that matters. The rms is not that high up so if you get stuck with the engine running in sandy water it seems to quickly find it's way up there and tear up the seal.

This is the 5th person I know of that had the same story of getting stuck in door height water, which is below the 30" fording depth, and then developing an rms leak.

When I took mine in to the dealer, the service writer said he'd seen a number of them but they all had the same thing in common of sandy water or mud.
Sponsored