Sponsored

SuperPacific Switchback X1 Canopy Camper for Gladiators!

Lucrob

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
PPF & Large format graphics production
This is really not a useful statement. Opinions and user specific desires/needs will make one "better" than the other, but a judgement of "inferior" isn't empirically true for all users. The v2 only has a handful in the wild, so its really way too early to start saying it's no good.

I have no dog in this race as both have been priced out of reality for my purposes, but I have investigated both thoroughly enough to feel fairly well versed. The ONLY data point that isn't clear is if the v2 is breaking for people... which I think maybe @Lucrob saying? I could find 1 post on the GFC forums suggesting the bolts came loose on the drive home from picking it up.

If I had an unlimited budget today, I'd get the Super Pacific ONLY because it's longer and lets you stand in the bed while the bed is fully deployed. I would regret losing removable panels, but otherwise it seems like nobody is losing if they choose one over the other.

While you're drooling over toppers, someone should also talk about Hiatus-Campers, though they are current projecting new builds to start in May 2023. That's right, pay today, wait 2 years for it to be built.

What we really need is MORE small companies building roughly the same stuff so the lead times stop sucking so bad.
What we need is what we have, people like you and I talking about things the manufacturer doesn't.

To GFC credit, they allowed the customer with the loose bolts post to stand on their own forum. I appreciate that level of openness. However, my concern is the stresses that caused those bolts to lossen up. Read my follow up to that customer's experience for details. Bolts don't come loose when thier not under stress. The structure is not designed correctly if it all rides on the ability of bolts staying tight. Bouncing off road is as extreme a test as their is. This guy only did a bit of fire roads on his journey home. Something basic is wrong.

And I do have a dog in this, $9500 of them...
Sponsored

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
There aren't
SP has the length for sure. But you can stand in the GFC so unsure what you mean, am I missing something?
The interior length of each camper is different. The GFC "sleeping footprint" is 50" x 90" and has panels to put down as a sleeping surface. You could leave one panel out to have standing room but it'd shorten the over all sleeping length to ~65" (one panel is about 25" x 50" and 2 panels appear to be 25" x 25"... this is all just from looking online, I haven't stood up in one.)

The SP has a "sleeping footprint of 52" x 80" (the exact size of an Exped Megmat Duo) but the over all length inside is actually a bit over 100". It's longer over all, allowing you to stand without dismantling your bed.

That being said, @Skullivan works for GFC and has suggested that sleeping in a GFC they recommend going in headfirst and sleeping anyway, so you could probably get around the standing room.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
There aren't

The interior length of each camper is different. The GFC "sleeping footprint" is 50" x 90" and has panels to put down as a sleeping surface. You could leave one panel out to have standing room but it'd shorten the over all sleeping length to ~65" (one panel is about 25" x 50" and 2 panels appear to be 25" x 25"... this is all just from looking online, I haven't stood up in one.)

The SP has a "sleeping footprint of 52" x 80" (the exact size of an Exped Megmat Duo) but the over all length inside is actually a bit over 100". It's longer over all, allowing you to stand without dismantling your bed.

That being said, @Skullivan works for GFC and has suggested that sleeping in a GFC they recommend going in headfirst and sleeping anyway, so you could probably get around the standing room.
I did see that footprint for the SP, they actually even say it is 4" longer than the Exped megamat which is really awesome. But doesn't that still mean you would need to move a sleeping pad to stand up fully? Or are they saying you can stand up completely inside the tent itself? I might be getting that part confused.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I did see that footprint for the SP, they actually even say it is 4" longer than the Exped megamat which is really awesome. But doesn't that still mean you would need to move a sleeping pad to stand up fully? Or are they saying you can stand up completely inside the tent itself? I might be getting that part confused.
Ah, my bad. The tent itself is around the same height. I just mean you can stand up in the bed without having to dismantle your sleeping area.

Snowcavemike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Hey Everyone, I'm currently working with SuperPacific a new player in the canopy camper market to develop their Gladiator model. Their Tacoma and F-150 models just wen into full production. They have the fastest lead-time and I think the lowest price compared to all the other canopy wedge camper/tents available. Hit them up on instagram or via email if your are interested and we can get the Gladiator further up in the que!

Super+Pacific+Switchback+Adventure+System.png
I am picking up my go fast camper for my Gladiator in 4 weeks. The new gen is 75 lbs lighter, $4k less expensive and
Hey Everyone, I'm currently working with SuperPacific a new player in the canopy camper market to develop their Gladiator model. Their Tacoma and F-150 models just wen into full production. They have the fastest lead-time and I think the lowest price compared to all the other canopy wedge camper/tents available. Hit them up on instagram or via email if your are interested and we can get the Gladiator further up in the que!

Super+Pacific+Switchback+Adventure+System.png
I am picking up my Go Fast Camper for the gladiator in 4 weeks. It is 75lbs lighter and $4K less. It matches my paint for $1 more.

Sponsored

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow Pkg
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
This is an interesting thread to watch from my perspective. I'm an Alu-Cab Canopy Camper owner (which has not been discussed in this thread as an option) But I'm interested to see how y'all like the SP and the GFC V2. Also another forum user posted about another option coming out called the TrailFort.

What I like is that more and more options are becoming available to JT owners.

If anyone has any updates on their rigs and their uncensored thoughts on them, I'd love to hear them. ~ Eric

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
This is an interesting thread to watch from my perspective. I'm an Alu-Cab Canopy Camper owner (which has not been discussed in this thread as an option) But I'm interested to see how y'all like the SP and the GFC V2. Also another forum user posted about another option coming out called the TrailFort.

What I like is that more and more options are becoming available to JT owners.

If anyone has any updates on their rigs and their uncensored thoughts on them, I'd love to hear them. ~ Eric
I like the idea of the Alucab Canopy Camper, but don't want to give up the truck part of the truck so had to scratch it off pretty quick. I'm sad that the Superpacific price creep has crept the way it has... there are apparently a lot of people out there with more fun money than I who help re-affirm supply and demand in the wrong direction. If I end up having a camper w/ a tent built in then I'll be building it myself at this point.

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow Pkg
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
I like the idea of the Alucab Canopy Camper, but don't want to give up the truck part of the truck so had to scratch it off pretty quick. I'm sad that the Superpacific price creep has crept the way it has... there are apparently a lot of people out there with more fun money than I who help re-affirm supply and demand in the wrong direction. If I end up having a camper w/ a tent built in then I'll be building it myself at this point.
What I love about your post is that you are dissuaded at all and that you'll still be pursuing your goal by building it yourself.

I have much respect for people who have not only the inclination, but the ability to build things. Unfortunately when the good Lord was handing out those skills, I skipped class. Would love to see what you come up with and often times, DIY builds have so much innovation and ingenuity as a result of real world application, that those of us who "bought the kit" go "A-ha! What a brilliant idea." So I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

These things are indeed expensive and for those of us with little to no fabrication skills a viable option. But God knows if I had the skill, time, and shop to do it myself there are a ton of ideas that I have based on my experiences as a full-time overlander.

All my best to you on your build eternus, hope you knock it out of the park.

AKID_RBM

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave, 23 GCL, 15 Cherokee TH
Occupation
Construction
Quick bump to see who is running one of these two (SP or GFC) and what your thoughts are?

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Quick bump to see who is running one of these two (SP or GFC) and what your thoughts are?
I have a GFC, V1 (very end of the V1 run). I love everything about it.

I have not used it as much as I would have hoped so far, but shit happens when renovating your house lol.

I think you can't go wrong between either of these, but I recently saw a post on the GFC forums that might help some decide, there were people who switched from SP to GFC.

- Side note: I am not on the SP forums so I do not know if people are switching from GFC to SP

- CS from SP has been non-existent/ parts when things go wrong or simply not included in the original install took 9 months to receive.
- Quality is lacking in some areas (seals for water on the bed)
- Mounting brackets are lacking
- Seems like SP is not really built for major offroading like the GFC, meaning it seems to be not flexing as much causing possible bed issues
- SP is just more expensive

I think SP is still super new and will fix everything once they are in the swing of things. GFC took to around unit 600 to really get everything dialed in.

GFC issues
- Some people on the V2's have a small hole in the tent fabric, which was meant to be there, to allow more flex in the tent material but it is allowing bugs in.
- 3rd brake light has had issues with some (less than 5 that I have seen on the forum)
Locks for the panels still are not perfect and someone can still get in if they really wanted to (i do not know how SP panels lock or how hard/easy it is to get into them)
- Still no built in wire channels unlike the SP.

Any other specific GFC questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:

AKID_RBM

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave, 23 GCL, 15 Cherokee TH
Occupation
Construction
Seems like waiting for issues to be worked out is not a bad idea.... I really like them both, but have a hunting dog and need side windows.... so I'm waiting for that option amyway... 🤔
Sponsored