Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Just got the TSB 18-224-021 Update PCM software and replace Camshaft.

This might be TL;TR and some of it is just a copy and paste of some old notes, so forgive any spelling or grammar issues.

A little history as I have not posted to this thread for over a year, but have been actively watching it since I was dreading the day my CEL would come on again.

Purchased an Overland in early May of 2020.

Had to take it back to the Dealership the next day because the Auto Start/Stop light came on and stayed on.
Diagnosis was that the vehicle was on the lot too long and low secondary battery voltage was triggering it.
They replaced the secondary battery after approval from FCA.

Afterward, Everything seemed fine, but the Auto Start/Stop light came on about 3 weeks later. It reset the next time the vehicle was started. Called the dealership and they said that can happen for various reasons.
Did not have the warm and fuzzies.

3 days later still less than a month after purchase the CEL came on and stayed on.
Took it to the dealership on 5/27/20
The tech was able to reproduce a P300 multi-cylinder misfire on cold starts. Cylinders 2,4,6.
Theory was a casting defect.

5/28/20.Service manager called. Said to plan on keeping the rental for awhile.
There is another jeep with the same problem that was built within 2 days of mine.
Engineer called them and said this is popping up all over. The engineer has a Gladiator that is exhibiting the same symptoms and told the dealership to not touch the Gladiators until he takes the engine apart to figure out what is going on with the one he has.

6/1/20
FCA gave the dealership the ok to take the engine apart, and they found a piece of metal that was disrupting the intake, and timing, causing the cold start misfiles.
They have a list of VIN numbers within certain build dates that have the problem.
They will be replacing the engine with a new one right off the factory. Will probably have it back mid to end of next week

6/9/20
FCA Engineers now think it might be a software fix as it is only happening on certain cold starts.
It sounds like the metal they were referencing earlier was found in the oil filter, and engineering confirmed that this was not unusual, they even confirmed they saw it in another model Jeep.

The recommendation was for me to pickup the truck and drive it until a software fix is done. The code has been reset and the check engine light is off.
If the light comes on, just keep driving it unless it doesn’t drive correctly, flashing light, stalls etc. Then take it to the service department.

They do not know why it is happening more in KC, a theory is that the weather (temp) has something to do with it. Now that it has gotten quite warm, they were struggling to reproduce the misfire.
Took it for a couple drives for at least 50+ total miles with no problems.
Fingers crossed

** Note that over the last year until 8/23/21 the CEL has not come back on, but I was getting periodic Auto Start/Stop errors which alway reset after the next start. Could go weeks before one would happen

These errors typically would happen after a start where the engine was already warmed up. Like when running an errand, but not always.

About a week or 2 before the CEL came on on 8/23/21. I noticed that the Auto Start/Stop error seemed to be happening much more frequently, even on a cold start. Was planning on calling the Dealership about that.

8/23/21
The dreaded CEL returns
19,021 miles

8/25/21
Took it to the dealership, but they didn’t get to it till later that day.

8/26/21.
They confirmed issue and a fix but needed to wait for parts (New Cam Shaft)

**Note, I specifically did not mention the TSB to the dealership as I wanted to see what their recommendation would be. I was pleased that they were aware of the TSB which has not been the case for others posting on this thread.

8/27/21
Have the Gladiator back. It’s only been a few days and about 45 miles, but no CEL, and the only thing I have noticed is that after a cold start and letting the RPMs idle down to < 1000, the engine runs smooth. Prior to the fix I noticed that there was a small bit of shaking / running rough at low RPMs, until the engine warmed up.

I will keep this thread updated. I have a 5000 mile road trip planned in mid September and will post back to this thread after that unless things go sideways before then.

Fingers crossed again.
That fits because mine has never had any light come on, the ESS has worked just fine, and my engine is smooth as silk, even after a cold start. Granted, with hot weather if the AC is on I notice the load of the AC making it a bit less smooth, but the engine doesn't misfire and doesn't "run rough" ever.
Assuming mine came from the factory without these issues, then it could be used as a base to compare against. Almost 19,000 miles, no misfires, no rough running.
Sponsored

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sort S
Occupation
Security
Last night I picked up my 2020 JT after they had it for 15 days at the dealer. This morning I heard the ticking in the video. Brought it back in this morning, service manager says it’s a known issue and they have no fix yet, Jeep is in process of writing a software patch. My issue is they installed a new Cam Shaft that is now creating a ticking noise that will eventually cost thousands. See the service ticket. I’m told the software patch could be out next week or next unknown number of years. i am so pist off. $49,000 boat anker.

Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues 92E9E1AA-0DA6-479D-8C42-CCF7AE05A99E

Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues 6F080855-B832-4B43-A346-BE515068C6CD

Attachments

Janelkallie

First Name
Janel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Rn
I have a 2021 jeep gladiator overland with 2800 miles. Right now the jeep has a blinking check engine light and it's misfiring. A few days ago the check engine light came on and it was an issue with the 02 sensor. It went away and now this.... currently have an appointment on Wed.... really annoyed because they have no loaners.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
I have a 2021 jeep gladiator overland with 2800 miles. Right now the jeep has a blinking check engine light and it's misfiring. A few days ago the check engine light came on and it was an issue with the 02 sensor. It went away and now this.... currently have an appointment on Wed.... really annoyed because they have no loaners.
Frustrating. My dealership rented a vehicle for me from Enterprise. I had it for a month and a half while we waited for my camshaft to show up. The price they paid for the rental was $2200 cad.

Sponsored

Golfme

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator
Another victim of the PO300 Code, currently in the dealer for the 4th time.

Build date: 11/20 Mexico made engine
Mileage when it first occurred:6273
How many times has it occurred: 5
What exact codes did it throw: PO0171,PO300,PO2096,PO137,PO141
Is the issue on going?
Y
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Clear codes, change bank 1 O2 sensors
Was the issue ever fully resolved? N

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Deleted member 31576

So........The Gladiator has been at the dealership now for two weeks - and no one called from the service department. Yesterday my wife received a call from Jeep Cares to tell us that they are replacing the engine.

So I called the dealership to see why we hadn't been called yet. The Gladiator has been there 16 days!!!!!!!

I am so disappointed with the dealership and their lack of follow-up, follow-through and customer service - it has given us such a negative opinion about Jeep.

On to the phone call.

The Gladiator was dropped off on the 6th of September - it is now the 22nd.

It was dropped off for the CEL (P0300), warm air randomly through the floor air vents, rough idle on startup and leaking back window.

During the phone call yesterday the only thing has been done is a software update (per the TSB). I am really confused why nothing else was completed. After the software update the technician heard a noise from the engine that "he didn't like" and the Lane Manager, Sean said they are now replacing the engine. The engine has been ordered but no idea when it will come in.

I made the comment that I guess the fix now for the P0300 CEL code is to replace the engine - he said that Chrysler is doing that now. Not sure if that's the case or he has not clue - I tend to think the latter.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
So........The Gladiator has been at the dealership now for two weeks - and no one called from the service department. Yesterday my wife received a call from Jeep Cares to tell us that they are replacing the engine.

So I called the dealership to see why we hadn't been called yet. The Gladiator has been there 16 days!!!!!!!

I am so disappointed with the dealership and their lack of follow-up, follow-through and customer service - it has given us such a negative opinion about Jeep.

On to the phone call.

The Gladiator was dropped off on the 6th of September - it is now the 22nd.

It was dropped off for the CEL (P0300), warm air randomly through the floor air vents, rough idle on startup and leaking back window.

During the phone call yesterday the only thing has been done is a software update (per the TSB). I am really confused why nothing else was completed. After the software update the technician heard a noise from the engine that "he didn't like" and the Lane Manager, Sean said they are now replacing the engine. The engine has been ordered but no idea when it will come in.

I made the comment that I guess the fix now for the P0300 CEL code is to replace the engine - he said that Chrysler is doing that now. Not sure if that's the case or he has not clue - I tend to think the latter.
Had a moment of silence for you thinking of your post and how this is tearing you apart…

The fix for P0300 is to replace the engine… “according to Chrysler”. …
There’s much to consider here and maybe some questions too.
If I were you, (and I did this one thing), go to the dealership your truck has been parked at for these 2 weeks and go straight to your truck and look under the hood. Take a photo of perhaps the top of the engine is missing with rags laying on top.

This will explain why it’s been 2 weeks with no explanation AND (in my case, I waited 50 days for my truck to get a camshaft replaced for my misfire and 50 days it sat in the parking lot with the top of the engine off only covered by rags) ….you’re waiting for a complete engine and maybe a chip or two is needed for that and it’s only been 2 weeks. ?? I’m feeling your pain dude. I hope the dealership gave have you a loaner to drive.

Mine did for the 50 days from Enterprise and it cost them $2200 cad.

The (from the factory floor) issue with mine is, I’ve got an internal coolant leak detected by my several oil analysts since 1000klms. The misfire happened at 16k klms. They replaced the injector first then it misfired again. They cited the cam as being valve damaged and replaced the cam. They REFUSED to address the coolant leak and possible connection to the misfire but for now the engine runs great for the last 4000 klms but it is consuming coolant.

I did interview the next dealership service manager and we are all watching the numbers on the internal coolant leak and lab results. I’ll be getting a new engine out of this too and a promised loaner vehicle once the coolant leak is more of a problem. Basically my engine needs to blow up or cease.

Let your dealership do their repair. If you feel they did not care for your vehicle as it was in their care or neglected to care for you, call FCA and build your file. GO sit down and interview other service managers and explain what’s happened and see if you’d receive the same
treatment or different. Interviewing Service Managers before you’re a customer puts some serious pressure on them to come to the table to keep you as a customer.
Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues F1EC2060-E480-4D41-A88D-672632E53DCC

Sponsored

Deleted member 31576

Had a moment of silence for you thinking of your post and how this is tearing you apart…

The fix for P0300 is to replace the engine… “according to Chrysler”. …
There’s much to consider here and maybe some questions too.
If I were you, (and I did this one thing), go to the dealership your truck has been parked at for these 2 weeks and go straight to your truck and look under the hood. Take a photo of perhaps the top of the engine is missing with rags laying on top.

This will explain why it’s been 2 weeks with no explanation AND (in my case, I waited 50 days for my truck to get a camshaft replaced for my misfire and 50 days it sat in the parking lot with the top of the engine off only covered by rags) ….you’re waiting for a complete engine and maybe a chip or two is needed for that and it’s only been 2 weeks. ?? I’m feeling your pain dude. I hope the dealership gave have you a loaner to drive.

Mine did for the 50 days from Enterprise and it cost them $2200 cad.

The (from the factory floor) issue with mine is, I’ve got an internal coolant leak detected by my several oil analysts since 1000klms. The misfire happened at 16k klms. They replaced the injector first then it misfired again. They cited the cam as being valve damaged and replaced the cam. They REFUSED to address the coolant leak and possible connection to the misfire but for now the engine runs great for the last 4000 klms but it is consuming coolant.

I did interview the next dealership service manager and we are all watching the numbers on the internal coolant leak and lab results. I’ll be getting a new engine out of this too and a promised loaner vehicle once the coolant leak is more of a problem. Basically my engine needs to blow up or cease.

Let your dealership do their repair. If you feel they did not care for your vehicle as it was in their care or neglected to care for you, call FCA and build your file. GO sit down and interview other service managers and explain what’s happened and see if you’d receive the same
treatment or different. Interviewing Service Managers before you’re a customer puts some serious pressure on them to come to the table to keep you as a customer.
Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues F1EC2060-E480-4D41-A88D-672632E53DCC

Thanks Kevin,

And yes, they gave us a loaner. The service manager told me they haven't done anything to the vehicle except for the software flash, so at this point we are just waiting. The dealership has never reached out to us - since day 1. We have always had to call to follow up - so much so that I actually sent a letter to the owner of the dealership regarding all of our issues - no surprise, no one ever reached out to us there either.

We are going to let them fix it - we have no other option. I put a pretty substantial amount of money down on the vehicle - plus a trade - so there isn't anything they could do - we've already lost money on the vehicle (depreciation/use).

I have 9 pages, and counting, of communication between JeepCares and ourselves documenting the issues and the lack of concern from the dealership. Every time I call, they say "we were just getting ready to call you Mr. SoandSo".

At this let them fix it, maybe turn around and sell it with low miles.

I like the thought of interviewing other service managers - albeit - the closest one is over an hour away.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build date: 10/24
Mileage when it first occurred: 275
How many times has it occurred: 2 + 1 at final assembly inspection
What exact codes did it throw: Cylinder #2 misfire(0302), multiple cylinder misfire(0300)
Is the issue on going? Y
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Still at dealer & nothing has been done to resolve it. It continues to throw #0302 code after every 2nd key start.
Was the issue ever fully resolved? No

Curious how you know it happened at final assembly inspection?

once you answer, I'll delete this post so as not to clutter up thread.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel that resale will be impacted either way as I will need to disclose the issue that happened if I ever sell it. I mean I could deceive the buyer if I ever choose to sell it but that would not be right.
I have a jeep cares case # so all this will need to be discussed before I agree to any repairs. I feel like this could qualify for the lemon law since it was a know problem right off the line.
If its truly resolved, you have no legal or ethical obligation to disclose it.

The problem is fixed.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Curious how you know it happened at final assembly inspection?

once you answer, I'll delete this post so as not to clutter up thread.
I'd also like to see that - proven. Someone on the line in Ohio saw it and wrote a note about it and stuck it in the air filter box?

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Thanks Kevin,

And yes, they gave us a loaner. The service manager told me they haven't done anything to the vehicle except for the software flash, so at this point we are just waiting. The dealership has never reached out to us - since day 1. We have always had to call to follow up - so much so that I actually sent a letter to the owner of the dealership regarding all of our issues - no surprise, no one ever reached out to us there either.

We are going to let them fix it - we have no other option. I put a pretty substantial amount of money down on the vehicle - plus a trade - so there isn't anything they could do - we've already lost money on the vehicle (depreciation/use).

I have 9 pages, and counting, of communication between JeepCares and ourselves documenting the issues and the lack of concern from the dealership. Every time I call, they say "we were just getting ready to call you Mr. SoandSo".

At this let them fix it, maybe turn around and sell it with low miles.

I like the thought of interviewing other service managers - albeit - the closest one is over an hour away.
Up here in Canada, we don’t have JEEP CARES. It’s just the direct line to FCA Customer Service that documents conversation and file building on case #’s.

Where I bought my truck, the dealership is 40 min away. The tech here said and reiterated by the service advisor, when the tech saw my lab results showing coolant in the oil, stated “it’s normal to have coolant in the oil”. I asked for that in writing to which I never got that so when I interviewed the next service manager, who’s 40 min away in the other direction, he was gob smacked to hear that. He said my case is clear that I’m not “warranty hunting” but have absolute concern for the care of my vehicle being serviced at the wrong place.
Sponsored