GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If you have had the CEL light come on with misfire codes, please respond to this thread.
Build date: (see picture below) can be found on drivers door well. MDH=month/day/hour (24 hour format)
Mileage when it first occurred:
How many times has it occurred:
What exact codes did it throw:
Is the issue on going?
Y/N
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue?
Was the issue ever fully resolved?
Y/N
Rules for posting in this thread:
Keep it to on topic post & discussion only!
lets keep topics to solutions & factual information, not complaining & guesses.
Don't post multiple post with same info. Instead edit your original post with the correct info.

I'm just curious how many of us are dealing with the same issue and how much of a problem it truly is. I know for a fact that on my build date that 10 other JT's failed final inspection for the same misfire issue so I know there are plenty out there based off of this alone.

Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues 20200830_212828
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
GlacierGladiator

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Build date: 10/24
Mileage when it first occurred: 275
How many times has it occurred: 2 + 1 at final assembly inspection
What exact codes did it throw: Cylinder #2 misfire(0302), multiple cylinder misfire(0300)
Is the issue on going? Y
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Still at dealer & nothing has been done to resolve it. It continues to throw #0302 code after every 2nd key start.
Was the issue ever fully resolved? No

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
If you have had the CEL light come on with misfire codes, please respond to this thread.
Build date:
Mileage when it first occurred:
How many times has it occurred:
What exact codes did it throw:
Is the issue on going? Y/N
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue?
Was the issue ever fully resolved? Y/N

I'm just curious how many of us are dealing with the same issue and how much of a problem it truly is. I know for a fact that on my build date that 10 other JT's failed final inspection for the same misfire issue so I know there are plenty out there based off of this alone.
I do not have the problem. My build date is Sept. 2019.

Some questions -- Has the dealer replaced any parts yet ? Did he replace the coils ? If not, ask him why he did not replaced the coils? Tell him, most times, misfire on a modern vehicle is bad coils. Sometimes if you know what you are talking about and you push the dealer in the most obvious directions, they take action, instead of waiting for Corporate.

Note: misfire is usually either spark or fuel injectors. If they validate that the coils are OK, start in on the fuel injectors with the dealer ---- it could be a bad fuel pump affecting the injectors. So, you can try to force them to check the injectors and fuel pump.

Make the dealer check these obvious things at first instead of letting them go the "rocket science" route to deal with corporate thinking it is some kind of complex problem with the computer.

Last edited:

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Does the JT have a screen to display the codes or do you need an OBD reader or Scangauge?

OP
OP
GlacierGladiator

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Update on my issue..
Dealer performed a VVT self test and it cleared all misfire codes. On the next cold start the CEL returned. Dealer says the next step is to tear down the intakes & valves and look for issues. If none there they will tear down the cylinder.
They said there are 3 misfires per minute happening on cold starts that reduces once the engine warms up to 1 to 2 misfires per minute.
I hope Jeep will be offering me something for my inconvenience. At the minimum an extended warranty to cover the defective engine.
I would also assume my resale value on a vehicle with problems like this will be greatly diminished.
Not at all what I expected when I ordered a gladiator.

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Update on my issue..
Dealer performed a VVT self test and it cleared all misfire codes. On the next cold start the CEL returned. Dealer says the next step is to tear down the intakes & valves and look for issues. If none there they will tear down the cylinder.
They said there are 3 misfires per minute happening on cold starts that reduces once the engine warms up to 1 to 2 misfires per minute.
I hope Jeep will be offering me something for my inconvenience. At the minimum an extended warranty to cover the defective engine.
I would also assume my resale value on a vehicle with problems like this will be greatly diminished.
Not at all what I expected when I ordered a gladiator.
Lets hope dealer resolves the misfire so resale value is not impacted.

OP
OP
GlacierGladiator

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Lets hope dealer resolves the misfire so resale value is not impacted.
I feel that resale will be impacted either way as I will need to disclose the issue that happened if I ever sell it. I mean I could deceive the buyer if I ever choose to sell it but that would not be right.
I have a jeep cares case # so all this will need to be discussed before I agree to any repairs. I feel like this could qualify for the lemon law since it was a know problem right off the line.

Comancheman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Jeep Comanche, 2015 jeep jk 2 door
Vehicle Showcase
Build date: not sure
Mileage when it first occurred:3500
How many times has it occurred:1
What exact codes did it throw:P0300
Is the issue on going? Y
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Cleared code
Was the issue ever fully resolved? N

my first ESS light came on around 900 miles. Upon restart it would work fine for a few weeks, do the same thing again. Now an engine light came on with it, and was on until a reader was plugged in. This was just today so no further info on the code coming back. I will keep it updated.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Build date: not sure
Mileage when it first occurred:3500
How many times has it occurred:1
What exact codes did it throw:P0300
Is the issue on going? Y
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Cleared code
Was the issue ever fully resolved? N

my first ESS light came on around 900 miles. Upon restart it would work fine for a few weeks, do the same thing again. Now an engine light came on with it, and was on until a reader was plugged in. This was just today so no further info on the code coming back. I will keep it updated.
Hi Alex,
We did respond to your thread, but just in case you see this first, we are available via PM to assist you while working with your dealer.
Alex
JeepCares

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Build date: 10/21/2019
Mileage when it first occurred: around 200
How many times has it occurred: I reset it once, and ut came back after about 300 miles
What exact codes did it throw: p0300
Is the issue on going? Y
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Nothing yet. I'll be taking it in January to get checked out along with the Auto start/stop
Was the issue ever fully resolved? Not yet

Sponsored

Jalmeida1991

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator
Just out of curiosity what model does every have that has been having this issue. My first one before lemon lawed was a overland, the one currently also having the issue is the overland as well

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE 2018 JLUR
As the 3.6 is used in the Ram, Challenger, Charger, GC and JL, there has to be a known issue and repair. There is nothing unique about the power train in a JT other than perhaps the cooling system.

Have you guys looked at the other FCA forum to see if there were issues and or resolutions?

Just Curious.

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Just out of curiosity what model does every have that has been having this issue. My first one before lemon lawed was a overland, the one currently also having the issue is the overland as well
Mine is a Rubicon

OP
OP
GlacierGladiator

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
As the 3.6 is used in the Ram, Challenger, Charger, GC and JL, there has to be a known issue and repair. There is nothing unique about the power train in a JT other than perhaps the cooling system.

Have you guys looked at the other FCA forum to see if there were issues and or resolutions?

Just Curious.
Although not new technology, I feel that the auto start stop & variable valve train (VVT) are this cause of these issues. I think that is have something to do with the programming, PCM, ECU. Since none of this technology is new to FCA. I have also not seen anything on here where someone on here has had the misfire issue and the engine was tore down to find faulty valves, heads, cylinders, intakes so I feel that the issue is truly not internal of faulty engine parts or we would be seeing this more frequently in other lines of FCA vehicles. the JT is a new vehicle and its going to have issues its just too bad they were not worked out before they pushed the production vehicles out the door.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Build date: 10/21/2019
Mileage when it first occurred: around 200
How many times has it occurred: I reset it once, and ut came back after about 300 miles
What exact codes did it throw: p0300
Is the issue on going? Y
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Nothing yet. I'll be taking it in January to get checked out along with the Auto start/stop
Was the issue ever fully resolved? Not yet
Hi Nathan,
When you have the opportunity to get this looked into, please do not hesitate to send us a PM to add assistance to your visit.
Alex
JeepCares
Sponsored