Sponsored

Survey- For those with misfire issues

speedracer0481

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland (lemon law), 2021 JTR (on order!), 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7
My path to a fix was leaving my Gladiator at the service dealer overnight. Then went the next morning to demonstrate a cold start and back out of the driveway routine. Then put the car in park. While sitting in the vehicle with engine running but still cold, the service advisor and I could both physically feel the engine misfiring. Only then did the mechanic discover the problem and change out vvt, lifters and rockers on left side of engine. After 5 days, no lights.
I’m glad that worked for you. Unfortunately it didn’t for me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GlacierGladiator

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Ohh man, while vacationing in the OBX, my check engine light went on. hoping it’s not misfiring, will be calling dealer about this and steering service bulletin. 2100 on the odometer.
Lets refrain from posting here until you infact know your CEL is related to the misfire, but feel free to browse. This is not a random thread and we are looking for solutions for a specific problem. Thank you.

OP
OP
GlacierGladiator

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
What’s your build date? Just got back from there myself.
Please don't be asking to post build dates here until @rmerkushen knows for a fact he is having the misfire issue.

Vickie Sae

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired photographer
Update on my Jeep Gladiator. Jeep is buying it back. We have agreed on the buy back and I am not going to think about another Jeep until 2022. Maybe then.

mortuar

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L EcoDiesel Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
My ESS/auto start stop light came back on yesterday after a pretty rough cold start. :( This is just over 200 miles from when they flashed my PCM. 16,777 miles is when the ESS disabled light came back on. No CEL thrown again yet, but I know it's coming. :(

Sponsored

mortuar

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L EcoDiesel Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
The PCM would compensate anyway - but no, they'd not "tune up some of the injectors" to compensate. That would be shooting themselves in the foot as it would fail emissions tests.

Was YOUR truck TESTED for compression? If so was there more than a 10% difference?
If it wasn't tested, then likely yours isn't one with that problem. They have found the PCM fix actually does take care of many of these - thus the TSB. They don't simply issue those as "something to try". They aren't issues lightly.

The problem with this "engine problem" is that because some have found mechanical issues, everyone believes they are all due to mechanical/physical issues.

I'd also suggest that dealers should be doing a leak-down test, not compression - if they find a possible problem due to compression tests that vary by over 10%, then they need to VERIFY via a leak-down test to verify and ensure the low compression isn't caused by wiped cam lobes, lifter issues and so on. Any problems with cams/lifters/followers and other things involved in the valve train can cause low compression!
Thanks for this detail! They didn't do a compression test - they literally saw the TSB and flashed the PCM and weren't willing to look further because, "this TSB takes care of it!" D:

I guess they'll be testing my compression soon enough now that the ESS lights are starting up again.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for this detail! They didn't do a compression test - they literally saw the TSB and flashed the PCM and weren't willing to look further because, "this TSB takes care of it!" D:

I guess they'll be testing my compression soon enough now that the ESS lights are starting up again.
They were half-right. The TSB DOES take care of some of them. This is a case of "multiple causes for the same symptoms" - sort of like the flu or a cold - you can feel the same way for different reasons.
That list of faults in the TSB is wild - WOW, that covers a whole lot of things. So it's very possible it will fix some - but dealers should be open-minded in these days of electronics controlling almost everything under the sun - when valves open and when they close, the lift - how FAR they open, timing for each cylinder, the ability to change the fuel injected in a single cycle, and unsure of the 3.6 but Mercedes even chances the volume in the intake manifold based on engine speed - to keep turbulence up! Faster engine speed - higher RPM you allow more volume, but with a slower engine RPM the air would move slowly with a wide-open intake so they reduce the runner size to speed the air up. This mixes things better and helps prevent detonation.
In the old days there were dual-plane intakes - now they adjust on the fly!

MauiBum

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I've noticed the ESS messages since I got the vehicle on 8/11/2020. I've also noticed hesitation/miss-fires when at low speed and not fully warmed up. Yesterday was the first time I got the CEL. SOOO excited I get to play this game. =(

Build date: 01/12/2020 12:00pm (from MDH)
Engine build country: Mexico (per window sticker)
Mileage when it first occurred: 176
How many times has it occurred: 1
What exact codes did it throw: P0300
Is the issue on going? Y
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Nothing yet, scheduling with service now.
Was the issue ever fully resolved? N

Build Sticker.jpg
Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues 1599239480126

Scheduled to take it in on Tuesday morning (9/8). We'll see what happens after they flash the PCM. Fingers crossed.

Codemodlife

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabercator
I don't believe any of you posted your build dates. Can you please respond with your build dates so we can update the forum with more complete information? Also, any updates (good or bad) would be fantastic. Thanks.
Build date 9-19
After getting the pcm replaced and the brake position recalibrated. I had the service auto start/stop come on once in 3 months. This is how it started when I got the jeep. I figure tho I will need another one 1sth

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Build date 9-19
After getting the pcm replaced and the brake position recalibrated. I had the service auto start/stop come on once in 3 months. This is how it started when I got the jeep. I figure tho I will need another one 1sth
Full build date is on the door frame decal - look for MDH which will be upper right as you stand upright, or lower right if you tip your head to read the decal as printed.
MDH is Month, Day/Date, Hour.
If it reads 101514 that means 10th month, 15th day, 14th hour (2 pm)

OP
OP
GlacierGladiator

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Full build date is on the door frame decal - look for MDH which will be upper right as you stand upright, or lower right if you tip your head to read the decal as printed.
MDH is Month, Day/Date, Hour.
If it reads 101514 that means 10th month, 15th day, 14th hour (2 pm)
I have several post here explaining this with pictures and people still can seem to figure it out. I'm seriously thinking that this survey is just a lost cause at this point. You can lead a horse to water..... :facepalm: :headbang:

dgulia

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL; 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk; 2017 Dodge Challenger RT
Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues 1599239480126

Scheduled to take it in on Tuesday morning (9/8). We'll see what happens after they flash the PCM. Fingers crossed.
Most probably they will come back on
Mine did within few seconds

mghoodlum

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Pearl Blue Rubicon on order
Build date: 11/14/19 08:00
Mileage when it first occurred: 11000
How many times has it occurred: 2
What exact codes did it throw: P0300
Is the issue on going?
Y
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Have appointment Monday 9/7/20
Was the issue ever fully resolved?
NA

Since I purchased my truck I have always though that the idle was quite rough but never thought much of it. I have also had the AutoStart/Stop Disabled on several occasions but once again didn't' think much of it. My check engine light then came on but went off 2 days later. It came back on the next day. Used JScan to check for codes. I had P0300 pending and P0300. When I saw it was a misfire I remembered I see this thread often but have never explored it.

rmerkushen

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Have an appointment for 9/21. Will try to get a code readout before than. Question - is it safe to drive with this CEL light 400 miles? I am in the OBX, the truck seems to be running ok, no hesitation, no stumbling.
Sponsored