Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You sir are much more patient than me.. im tapping out!
Trust me, as maybe you've seen even here in this forum - I do have my moments.
I was warned years ago - or rather my parents were when I was in grade school, that I'd have great troubles in life because I have littler tolerance for those who can't keep up with me. He was right..........I'm surprised my friends put up with me, but both of them do.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Lol got it

Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues 762409C0-735A-41A1-A7A8-3298AF541A1A
LOL - hang in there - the problem is frustrating, and getting to the bottom of it isn't any less so.
Good thing you seem not so easy to anger.

Sponsored

mghoodlum

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Pearl Blue Rubicon on order
Build date: 11/14/19 08:00
Mileage when it first occurred: 11000
How many times has it occurred: 2
What exact codes did it throw: P0300
Is the issue on going?
Y
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Have appointment Monday 9/7/20
Was the issue ever fully resolved?
NA

Since I purchased my truck I have always though that the idle was quite rough but never thought much of it. I have also had the AutoStart/Stop Disabled on several occasions but once again didn't' think much of it. My check engine light then came on but went off 2 days later. It came back on the next day. Used JScan to check for codes. I had P0300 pending and P0300. When I saw it was a misfire I remembered I see this thread often but have never explored it.
Dropped off at dealer today. It was already noted that I was due for a reflash. I’m guessing this is what gets done this visit...

ExitLeft

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Mine goes in tomorrow. stop/start issues intermittently since about 450 miles and the Check Engine Light came on on Thursday at just under 800 miles. both lights are off now and I put over 100 miles on it yesterday without issue. Although, it feels like there’s a slightly rough idle and a stumble at idle. I guess I’ll see what they want to do. CEL isn’t currently on, but I want them to read the saved code and record it in the system so it’s established as a problem. I read the code and is P0300 as I feared.
My MDH is 111313. Nov 13th at 1pm (A nice Wednesday afternoon build)

Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues 6A5EF2D4-2D3D-48A6-BCD1-EB96F1DF5C6D

Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues 4E8E5CD1-6CCC-4BC6-AC7D-863D0DE5F19C

mortuar

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L EcoDiesel Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Quick update on mine - I took it in for the P0300 code, but I just checked the codes from the CEL thrown the other day and I have one active code - P0300 - and two pending codes - P0300 and P0304.

When I started it and saw the CEL fire, I smelled unburnt fuel, so it's definitely misfiring regardless of the dealership telling me it isn't. I was hoping they're open today to take it back in, but the service department isn't. It feels like it's running much worse than it was before, and I'm afraid to make the ~40 minute trip to the dealership at this point. Is there a possibility I'm going to damage the engine driving it back up to the dealer?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Quick update on mine - I took it in for the P0300 code, but I just checked the codes from the CEL thrown the other day and I have one active code - P0300 - and two pending codes - P0300 and P0304.

When I started it and saw the CEL fire, I smelled unburnt fuel, so it's definitely misfiring regardless of the dealership telling me it isn't. I was hoping they're open today to take it back in, but the service department isn't. It feels like it's running much worse than it was before, and I'm afraid to make the ~40 minute trip to the dealership at this point. Is there a possibility I'm going to damage the engine driving it back up to the dealer?
If you are smelling unburned fuel - especially on a sealed cat system, you have a problem. The smell should be almost neutral, no hydrocarbons left to enjoy smelling.
I am not close enough to do any more than toss crap out there- unburned fuel, if too much, can wash down cylinder walls. So - are people seeing damaged cylinder walls due to the misfire and fuel washing the cylinder walls?
When you over-carburete a legacy engine, too much CFM for lower RPM, you don't atomize the fuel properly and end up washing down cylinder walls, causing engine wear and damage.
(that's why I went with Edelbrock carbs with annular boosters even though I'm running 30-40% too many CFM for my engine displacement and speeds)

mghoodlum

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Pearl Blue Rubicon on order
I thought about this as I have a similar drive. If it is a real problem it will be easier to find if it is worse! Damaging it wouldn’t be the worst thing ever!

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I thought about this as I have a similar drive. If it is a real problem it will be easier to find if it is worse! Damaging it wouldn’t be the worst thing ever!
Let's put it this way - if this is the case, and these are being damaged due to the excess fuel, then it's an FCA issue. I hate to sound that way, but........... most people would notice a miss - or not, maybe rough running and never give it a second thought - they'd drive it until it could be looked at. So, if you can look at it from the standpoint of an average American driver - it's pretty clear, it "ain't your fault". LOL But then, Jeep owners aren't exactly common nor average American drivers..... just don't let on that you know that.

jpgator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Build date: 11/16/19 08:00
Mileage when it first occurred: 200
How many times has it occurred: 5-6
What exact codes did it throw: P0300
Is the issue on going?
Y
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? 3 trips to the dealer + 1 tomorrow
Was the issue ever fully resolved?
NA

I have about 6K on the Gladiator and have taken it in to be looked at for this issue 3 times. The first time (March) all they did was clear it, the second time (early august) they ran tests and I believe did the SW patch. I think they may have tried the patch again the third time (late August) and ran more tests. Up til now they haven't kept the truck for more that about 24 hours. Hopefully the 4th time is a charm and they fix tit when I take it in tomorrow. (I'm not very optimistic)

Robicon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Well mine finally got it's second outbreak of P0300 today. ESS has been giving errors every time since yesterday and sure enough, P0300 was right behind. This time however, it sounded like it wanted to stall and I barely made it home. Only put 2000 km on this JTR and this is the second time I will have to bring it in for this error. Last time they didn't do anything besides clear it however, so can't say I am surprised it's back. Guess I will have to change my plans to drive across the province next week now.

Maybe I should have waited for the ED option! :mad:

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
So I have seen posts on the updated software, and compression tests, and cam issues. These all can be tied together by the 3.6L engine controller. A large part of the engine's control strategy is phazing the cams to satisfy the airflow model that is used for fueling in different situations. This is not done by a map but a closed loop control system based on airflow needs for different driving modes. To "tune" it you set the desired centerline for a situation and it "phazes" the cams from there. Being as the engine has a fair number of operating criteria it uses to adapt to environment and driving styles, my guess is the airflow model gets into an area of timing air flow and fueling that hangs the cams in a bad spot with to much spring force, and it damages them. Then when a compression test is done, the results are low because the cam is either way out of phazes or the cam is flat spotted. If the problem has persisted enough you may be getting some cylinder damage. The software probably does fix the issue if it is not extremely damaged. My guess is the engineers are doing things to bring the closed loop control out of these corner cases. It feels peppier because they reset the cam phasing and you are now getting a proper air fuel mixture and compression from all your cylinders.

MauiBum

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues 4E8E5CD1-6CCC-4BC6-AC7D-863D0DE5F19C

Scheduled to take it in on Tuesday morning (9/8). We'll see what happens after they flash the PCM. Fingers crossed.
They cleared the code, opened a STAR case and told me to pick it up while they wait for a fix to be released and the steering parts to arrive to fix the wandering issue. Trip 1, unsuccessful.
Sponsored