Sponsored

Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper

atxatxatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK2Grand Cherokee,Gladiator Mojave
Another picture showing the only spot where the steel Rubicon bumper and Mojave skid interfere.
IMG_5191-1.jpeg
Thanks for sharing this.
I have a steel Mopar bumper on order, however I would like to continue using the Mojave skid plate.
Spacers / washers on the bumper might be the way to go here to bring the bumper a bit forward.
Sponsored

NCLife

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
Did anyone install a winch yet? Just wondering if I was going to bump into the resevoirs when I do it.

NCLife

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
I answered my own question. Winch plate fits fine, just like the JLUR I just took it off of. Iā€™ll post more pics tomorrow when I wrap things up. I moved over the steel bumper, winch, satin black grille and fox steering stabilizer from my 19 JLUR Iā€™m selling.

CBD4661D-8C66-400D-A588-E59E65273F46.jpeg

3C79DA40-8D67-4CD7-9DC2-8C608F15AE23.jpeg

319E9290-2036-474B-A112-F62A529FC0D5.jpeg

6F687887-8032-420C-9636-07FAAE61B2A0.jpeg

2FF36E78-020E-4BE2-8323-C3419E76BAA0.jpeg

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
Not a Rubicon Bumper but I installed a Rugged Ridge Arcus and it went on without any issues or trimming and the factory skid bolted right up.
Since I am not installing a winch, I hacked the middle out of the factory bumper and made a plug to fill the void in the bumper then painted the silver skid black to match. Overall I am very happy with the results.

Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper 2FF36E78-020E-4BE2-8323-C3419E76BAA0

Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper 2FF36E78-020E-4BE2-8323-C3419E76BAA0

I think this is the way I prefer to go and is much less cost wise.

Front Runner

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Insurance
Itā€™s interesting the amount of variability there seems to be between the OEM steel bumper and the knock off. The variability is in both from all I have read also. Not just the knockoff bumper. Is there flexibility in the Mojave skid plate front to back or is that set? From all I have read on both, different parts have needed to be trimmed, some havenā€™t on either. Makes me wonder what all the variability is. This is something that is on my to do list at some point.

Sponsored

atxatxatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK2Grand Cherokee,Gladiator Mojave
I installed my genuine mopar bumper today on my Mojave. Also made sure to swap over the orange tow hooks. Took off the end caps for now.

Certainly there must be differences between the genuine one and the ebay china one - with the ebay one leaving less cutting to do..
I tried some spacers on the bumper to the frame which it helped to clear the mojave plate brackets, but to mount the actual skid plate would need a lot of cutting. I went back and forth on what I was going to do, but then decided to ended up removing the spacers and brackets, and I will just order the rubicon metal skid plate instead.

I pretty much had every part of this bumper apart today, lol

Thanks to the previous contributors on this thread, a lot of useful information that assisted me.

Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper i-8sNkGcG-L

Mojave plate brackets, I ended up removing them
i-CNZkVds-L.jpg

Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper i-WxChsdS-L

Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper i-cWWpLsQ-L

LakeMAnn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave, 2108 JLUSahara
Great thread here. I will be doing a steel bumper swap this weekend.

Mojave Dr.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Naturopathic doctor
I tackled this last weekend - this is my story: bought the Mopar steel stubby from Bam wholesale. I didnā€™t want to hack into the bumper or skid plate, so I hoped for a creative solution, and I found it after much reading on this and other forums, owners groups, etc. I ended up moving the skid plate bracket down a hole, using the bottom hole for the top hole of the bracket. While youā€™ll probably think thatā€™s only 1 bolt holding, once I tightened it and the bottom bolt on the skid... this thing is solid! The only difference is it spaces the skid down about an inch, but doesnā€™t matter to me - it still protects the reservoir, which is the mission, right? Iā€™m very happy with it! Iā€˜m waiting on the Warn low grille guard to arrive and Iā€™ll call it good for the front end for now... some KC lights to follow at some point.
Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper 66625349-717A-4D28-9F7A-3F2E955B8277
Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper 7B771D02-8E28-4733-8233-5757496A3E83
Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper 0A4A8C4F-C57F-4D7B-8BBF-D78FB4BF372E

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
I tackled this last weekend - this is my story: bought the Mopar steel stubby from Bam wholesale. I didnā€™t want to hack into the bumper or skid plate, so I hoped for a creative solution, and I found it after much reading on this and other forums, owners groups, etc. I ended up moving the skid plate bracket down a hole, using the bottom hole for the top hole of the bracket. While youā€™ll probably think thatā€™s only 1 bolt holding, once I tightened it and the bottom bolt on the skid... this thing is solid! The only difference is it spaces the skid down about an inch, but doesnā€™t matter to me - it still protects the reservoir, which is the mission, right? Iā€™m very happy with it! Iā€˜m waiting on the Warn low grille guard to arrive and Iā€™ll call it good for the front end for now... some KC lights to follow at some point.
Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper 0A4A8C4F-C57F-4D7B-8BBF-D78FB4BF372E
Looks damn sharp. Nice work.

Front Runner

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Insurance
Looks very good, clean. I like this option a lot better. Thanks for sharing.

Sponsored

IfMatters

First Name
Ema
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thanks for the post!

can you upload new/more pictures?

how it looks from far away?

AKID_RBM

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave, 23 GCL, 15 Cherokee TH
Occupation
Construction
I tackled this last weekend - this is my story: bought the Mopar steel stubby from Bam wholesale. I didnā€™t want to hack into the bumper or skid plate, so I hoped for a creative solution, and I found it after much reading on this and other forums, owners groups, etc. I ended up moving the skid plate bracket down a hole, using the bottom hole for the top hole of the bracket. While youā€™ll probably think thatā€™s only 1 bolt holding, once I tightened it and the bottom bolt on the skid... this thing is solid! The only difference is it spaces the skid down about an inch, but doesnā€™t matter to me - it still protects the reservoir, which is the mission, right? Iā€™m very happy with it! Iā€˜m waiting on the Warn low grille guard to arrive and Iā€™ll call it good for the front end for now... some KC lights to follow at some......
Wonder how that would work with a Winch?

Mojave Dr.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Naturopathic doctor
Wonder how that would work with a Winch?
For my purposes, I wonā€™t be adding a winch. But if I did, there wouldnā€™t be any interference, as the skid is actually moved down and out of the way by an inch and 1/2... definitely wouldnā€™t interfere with a winch plate. It would be like mounting to any other Mopar steel bumper. I considered it, but it would be a waste of a WarnšŸ˜‚

JaErikson

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Retired
For my purposes, I wonā€™t be adding a winch. But if I did, there wouldnā€™t be any interference, as the skid is actually moved down and out of the way by an inch and 1/2... definitely wouldnā€™t interfere with a winch plate. It would be like mounting to any other Mopar steel bumper. I considered it, but it would be a waste of a WarnšŸ˜‚
Off Topic
do you by chance have access to the bumper and could take a photo of the wiring for the led fog lights.

on the bumperā€¦ I took the route of the rubicon bumper married to the rubicon skid plateā€¦ no cutting or drillingā€¦

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Well, I got my hands on a factory bumper, trimmed per the pics in hopes that my stock Mojave skid plate would fit but no dice. I am not using a winch plate at this point, but even trying to space the bumper off 1/4" or so, I was getting no joy fitting the skid plate. I went ahead and did the one bolt drop method shown by Mojave Dr. but I don't like that as a long term solution.

So, back to the drawing board for me.

Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper Bumper
Sponsored