Sponsored

Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Update - I didn't like the way the skid plate hung down so I did some more surgery.

I am using the factory/Mopar bumper
No winch tray

I originally did the trim proposed by EWP. Unfortunately, the skid plate would not fit because of the interference of the ends of the skid and the bumper. The difference is likely because of the lack of winch tray in my install.

Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper bumpertrim

Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper bumpercut2

So, I did the Mojave Dr bracket drop putting the top bolt in the bottom hole location.

Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper Bumper

It worked fine, but I knew that it was going to bother me and I hated giving up the clearance and strength in the rocks.

So, back to the drawing board. I ended up trimming about a half inch along the ends of the skid plate. (Removed the section marked in red below from both ends with a cutoff wheel)

Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper Bumpercut

That made it so the skid would clear the bumper and I could re-mount it in the stock location.

Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper better bumper

I need to pull it all apart and paint the places where I cut the bumper and skid plate. I also need to elongate the mounting holes on the rear of the skid plate a bit.

Thanks to those that did this before me. Not sure why mine wouldn't line up but this solution worked and I am mostly happy with it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

OrangeGlad2020

First Name
Darian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2021 Wrangler 2Sport 2dr
I did this same mod, used the eBay copy, $350 all in. I ordered for JK to get the lower price knowing its the same bumper. Very happy with it, came with which plates, bar etc.. Had the Mopar 10th on a JK in the past not much difference to me. I trimmed bumper to secure skid plate.

20210504_192813.jpg

Rdmartin01

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon LE
Occupation
Business
I did this same mod, used the eBay copy, $350 all in. I ordered for JK to get the lower price knowing its the same bumper. Very happy with it, came with which plates, bar etc.. Had the Mopar 10th on a JK in the past not much difference to me. I trimmed bumper to secure skid plate.

Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper 20210504_192813
So the ebay JL & JK bumper are the same from this seller. So just order JK is where we are landing now?

Sponsored

BuzzBee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon
Hi all, great info here. I am trying something slightly different, I want to install different tow hooks, ones with an eye, not just a hook, to create a closed system recovery point. I have the steel Mopar bumper off, and it consists of 3 separate components. The removable end cap, the outer shell, and an inner shell which the tow hook and driving light are mounted onto. How did you get the inner shell out?
I was trying to just twist it out by pulling the bottom edge out first, in order to drop the tow hook through the hole. The stupid crush can catches on the outer shell before this can happen though.
So, what was the method that worked?

BuzzBee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon
Got it. Just cut off the retaining washers on the back. They aren't really needed, just help align different parts when putting back together.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
what a heck of a thread....admittedly i didnt read the entire thing before asking this so feel free to shank me if the answer is some where in the 8 pages...

Will a plastic "skid" from the plastic rubi bumper marry up to the ebay "rubi" bumper?

Sponsored

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
what a heck of a thread....admittedly i didnt read the entire thing before asking this so feel free to shank me if the answer is some where in the 8 pages...

Will a plastic "skid" from the plastic rubi bumper marry up to the ebay "rubi" bumper?
I will not marry as in happily. You could likely do a shotgun wedding.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I will not marry as in happily. You could likely do a shotgun wedding.
Ugh…im trying to avoid adding the metal skid. I like the look of the rubi bumper but not the weight

Phishs

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JTM, 21 JTR (traded)

20210504_192813.jpg
So the JK version fits exactly like the JL/JT version?

Do you have a link for the one you got off eBay?

OrangeGlad2020

First Name
Darian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2021 Wrangler 2Sport 2dr