Sponsored

Sway control

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well then a long pin to axle length makes everything better. More stable when driving forward and easier to back up.

When I was in college I worked for a contractor who used to tow around his 32 foot go-fast boat. I was well practiced pulling around my parents 15' Whaler and my 14 foot laser sailboat with my 85 hp Subaru wagon (with 4Low!!!)

The laser's trailer in particular was very short with the wheels set about midway along the length of the boat. I was good at backing both of those trailers.

When my boss told me to back his 32' boat in, I looked at him and said, but I've only backed little trailers. he laughed at me and explained that long trailers were easier. I didn't believe him. But once I started backing it took me about 10 ft to figure out that he was absolutely right. Ha.
Sponsored

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S MaxTow
True, some states are 55 - CA, is among them, as is Alaska but I can't imagine towing anything on a few of their roads at higher than 35.
Take full advantage of being legally slow too! With a light right foot and 50-55mph, I averaged 13mpg with a travel trailer - learn the sweet spot with your mileage gauge. Taller tires actually help with 1-2mpg as long as you're moving. I was in a hurry on the way back going 60-65mph then hit traffic and only averaged 8mpg - it's that big difference.

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S MaxTow
Well then a long pin to axle length makes everything better. More stable when driving forward and easier to back up.
Absolutely! I jackknifed an empty single waverunner trailer twice before giving up and handing it to my buddy who owned it. He immediately ran over the trailer too.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely! I jackknifed an empty single waverunner trailer twice before giving up and handing it to my buddy who owned it. He immediately ran over the trailer too.
Jet ski trailers are the WORST. I actually helped a stranger back their jet ski trailer in at our local ramp with is long and very narrow.

Jeep Gladiator Sway control 1650413790359

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I doubt the tires are rated for 70 MPH, but I've towed single axle cargo trailers of that weight to San Diego with nothing but a brake controller hookup. That's up and down the Grapevine, 600+ miles roundtrip, for context.

That's a cool looking rig! I'd aim for 12% / 360 lb on the tongue, myself. If it has a rotating/360 deg hitch like other off-road trailers, a WDH isn't an option anyway.
Thanks, its an aliner expedition so it actually pops out to be pretty large in a few minutes. The tires are goodyear endurance so they're actually n rated for 87, although I'd be lying if I said I realized the speed limit for towing was 65 considering all the boats blowing by me at 75-80 on the turn pike haha.

Sponsored

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
Thanks, its an aliner expedition so it actually pops out to be pretty large in a few minutes. The tires are goodyear endurance so they're actually n rated for 87, although I'd be lying if I said I realized the speed limit for towing was 65 considering all the boats blowing by me at 75-80 on the turn pike haha.
Goodyear Endurance are excellent tires. My new TT has them, as did my last two.

Interestingly they are becoming more common and cheaper than a lot of the previously common Chinese brands as the Endurance is made in the US and is readily available while the Chinese tires are all delayed due to production and shipping issues.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I will look into those Goodyears then, time for five new tires for our conventional travel trailer the end of this year. Thanks for the info!

And yeah, the brodozers with the toy haulers heading to the CA Central Coast at 80 MPH wind up on the news around here. I do not understand, but I only care if they interfere with my journey.

STLDAVE

First Name
DAve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 4Runner, Shopping for JT
Occupation
Retired
I do beleive the manuel says a WDH is needed for anything over 350 LBS tongue weight, so yes you will need one. I highy recommend the Andersen hitch.
This is the correct answer as per the manual. The tongue weight of the trailer is the determining factor.
Sponsored