First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20. Why? Because it meets the Chrysler spec per the owner's manual. Plus I can get 5 qts and a filter for $40
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Nooooo.....

Anyway...I use Amsoil Signature Series in all my vehicles, every 10K, and have since the first oil changes.
Agreed. HUGE differences! It's the additive packages that are the big difference. Some protect amazingly well, some not so much and you may see damage in performance applications. For ordinary street use, no high speeds, no racing, no pulling heavy boats or campers, you could likely get by with all but the worst. But if you use the vehicle for other than grandma getting groceries, there are good oils and not so good.
Amsoil good choice - here are two of the top 5 as far as wear protection ratings based on protection up to the listed PSI - anything over about 100 is pretty good......and this is where two of the AMSOIL oils rate - there's only with a higher psi rating.

2. 0W20 Amsoil Signature Series, synthetic = 134,840 psi

3. 5W30 Amsoil Signature Series, synthetic = 134,352 psi

I've been a mechanic since the 1970s, I've built engines in numbers I can't recall, I've seen them trashed by lack of maintenance and by lack of decent oil and lack of changes for the conditions the engine is used under. I've seen guys wipe out parts and then claim all sorts of things.........

The oil I use now in my 73 Javelin (a 360 putting out 377 hp) is a bio-syn and since switching to that oil, I've had to re-adjust my carburetors and set the idle speed down over 100 RPM.
I've talked to an AMSOIL dealer and if I ever can't get the oil I use now, I'll switch to that.
I've been using Mobil 1 in my built 4.0 for over 33,000 miles. I put it in when I built the engine and have used it in every change since. I've really pushed that 4.0 hard, very hard, I've pulled a trailer with that little car. No issues. No leaks, no oil use. I also use the best filters I can find.

I've posted this all over the place, maybe even here before, but if anyone wants a good read on oil facts, besides what people keep repeating in different places because it's what they've always heard or been told - check out this site - the guy is a mechanical engineer, member of SAE and ASME. His testing and comments and experiences echo almost exactly my real-life experience over the years as a mechanic and owner.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...ing-test-data-on-high-mileage-motor-oils.html

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20. Why? Because it meets the Chrysler spec per the owner's manual. Plus I can get 5 qts and a filter for $40
I use it to keep the specific warranty issue out. I'm at 20k miles and change oil every 5k with the fanciest Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-20 with the MS spec that the manual states is "recommended". Not even going to bother "but it wouldn't hold up in court..." It is moot. I dont want to have to dispute it in court. If I do have to dispute a warranty issue in court, the oil bit is just one more thing I'll have to pay a lawyer/expert to dispute. Easier to just have a dozen oil changes (4 of which are complimentary) using the "magic" stuff.

Though I am glad for this thread, I'll be switching to Amsoil from Mobile 1

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Agreed. HUGE differences! It's the additive packages that are the big difference. Some protect amazingly well, some not so much and you may see damage in performance applications. For ordinary street use, no high speeds, no racing, no pulling heavy boats or campers, you could likely get by with all but the worst. But if you use the vehicle for other than grandma getting groceries, there are good oils and not so good.
Amsoil good choice - here are two of the top 5 as far as wear protection ratings based on protection up to the listed PSI - anything over about 100 is pretty good......and this is where two of the AMSOIL oils rate - there's only with a higher psi rating.

2. 0W20 Amsoil Signature Series, synthetic = 134,840 psi

3. 5W30 Amsoil Signature Series, synthetic = 134,352 psi

I've been a mechanic since the 1970s, I've built engines in numbers I can't recall, I've seen them trashed by lack of maintenance and by lack of decent oil and lack of changes for the conditions the engine is used under. I've seen guys wipe out parts and then claim all sorts of things.........

The oil I use now in my 73 Javelin (a 360 putting out 377 hp) is a bio-syn and since switching to that oil, I've had to re-adjust my carburetors and set the idle speed down over 100 RPM.
I've talked to an AMSOIL dealer and if I ever can't get the oil I use now, I'll switch to that.
I've been using Mobil 1 in my built 4.0 for over 33,000 miles. I put it in when I built the engine and have used it in every change since. I've really pushed that 4.0 hard, very hard, I've pulled a trailer with that little car. No issues. No leaks, no oil use. I also use the best filters I can find.

I've posted this all over the place, maybe even here before, but if anyone wants a good read on oil facts, besides what people keep repeating in different places because it's what they've always heard or been told - check out this site - the guy is a mechanical engineer, member of SAE and ASME. His testing and comments and experiences echo almost exactly my real-life experience over the years as a mechanic and owner.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...ing-test-data-on-high-mileage-motor-oils.html
Based on that blog, it looks like the quaker state ultimate durability 0w-20 is by far the best bang for your buck at $18 for 5 qts from Walmart. The Amsoil is $50+ for 4 qts. Both meet the Chrysler spec.

Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Based on that blog, it looks like the quaker state ultimate durability 0w-20 is by far the best bang for your buck at $18 for 5 qts from Walmart. The Amsoil is $50+ for 4 qts. Both meet the Chrysler spec.
oil.jpeg

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
That's still $50 for the signature series for an oil that (as far as wear resistance goes) is only mildly better than the quaker state at $18. The XL is ranked worse than the Pennzoil I currently use and it's more expensive.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
That's still $50 for the signature series for an oil that (as far as wear resistance goes) is only mildly better than the quaker state at $18. The XL is ranked worse than the Pennzoil I currently use and it's more expensive.
I guess so. Benefit also in the fact that Amsoil delivers in a day or 2 at that price.

Sponsored

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Personally, I like double extra VIRGIN olive oil........

:clap:
Overrated. I like my olive oil to know what its doing and what it wants. I'll take Double Extra Experienced over Virgin any day.

SergioGmz

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S 2020
I used to work in a Chrysler Dealership between 2009 to 2011, during the FIAT Chrysler Merge, and I remember we used pennzoil for regular engines like 5.7, 3.7 , 2.4 and mobil for fancys SRTs 6.2, 6.4s. What brands are dealerships using nowdays?

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I use clean oil, changed on time that meets the spec.

Brand ? Who cares.

Synthetic? I believe that is the only thing that meets the spec. Could be wrong ?

Amsoil ? Yeah probably good stuff. This is an old school low tech low compression engine. Do I need it ? Meh ...

If you use clean oil, in spec, on time, the engine will still be running long after you are in another vehicle.

If the expensive nectar of the gods makes you sleep better, go for it.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Lol at the Amway oil cheerleaders.
Sponsored