Sponsored

Tazer JL Mini Brakes Locked Up Unintentionally Multiple Times

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Follow up, I spoke with support and they found an issue on Beta 3 that would occasionally lock the abs module. Beta 5 or the latest full release doesn't have this line of code.
I'm not sure if everyone knows what BETA means. It means you are an unpaid product tester. This is a product that is NOT yet ready for general release. This kind of problem is to be expected since its the whole purpose of a beta test program.

If you aren't willing to deal with stuff like this you shouldn't be a beta tester. I suspect the OP understands this since his reaction to these problems is more chill than some of the people reading this thread.
Sponsored

Last edited:

bigcheeshead

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Just installed the tazer mini in my 2021 JT. Worked fine yesterday when I test drove for couple of miles. Then today, if I come to a complete stop while in drive ABS and Emergency break lights come on and I'm unable to move forward. Putting the jeep in park and then drive would let me move again. After it happened consistently 5 times in a row I just unplugged the tazer mini and everything is OK. Pretty scary stuff!!! Will call them on Monday to see if there is a fix. Currently running the latest 11.2.7

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Just installed the tazer mini in my 2021 JT. Worked fine yesterday when I test drove for couple of miles. Then today, if I come to a complete stop while in drive ABS and Emergency break lights come on and I'm unable to move forward. Putting the jeep in park and then drive would let me move again. After it happened consistently 5 times in a row I just unplugged the tazer mini and everything is OK. Pretty scary stuff!!! Will call them on Monday to see if there is a fix. Currently running the latest 11.2.7
It sounds like you're accidentally enabling Rock crawl mode and/or line lock

Code 3

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTM
11.2.7 is nearly a year old (released May 2021). Version 11.3.4 has been out for a couple months.

Not necessarily related, just pointing that out.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
As others have said, you are running old firmware. If I remember right, that version enabled the brake hold features by default. It was pointed out to Z Auto that default mode on all changes should really be OEM function, and they did in fact change that in later versions so you have to knowingly enable them.
I would recommend upgrading to the newest version firmware (currently 11.3.4) and make sure all the various brake hold features are disabled. https://www.zautomotive.com/tazer-jl-updates/

99% of the complaints about the Tazer seem to be related to not following the directions.It's really not something you can just plug in and wing it. In this case, the very first thing the directions tell you to do is update the firmware to the latest version before installing.

Sponsored

bigcheeshead

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Thanks all. Updated the firmware to the latest rev with the programming utility, still the same problem :(

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Thanks all. Updated the firmware to the latest rev with the programming utility, still the same problem :(
It definitely sounds the like lock. Check the instructions to turn off line like and rock crawl mode.

bigcheeshead

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Thanks all, unmarrying and going through the process again after the update resolved the issue!

USMC_1Wire6337

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport S/MT; 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4 HEMI
Occupation
IT
First, you should probably upgrade to version 11.2.8, which has been out for a month.
Then follow Patrick's advice in post #38.
The manual sucks, but it appears this "feature" is intended to keep the brakes on when you come to a full stop until you hit the gas. I guess to this is either for amazingly lazy people, or as a safety feature in case your foot slips off the pedal? No idea, and the manual doesn't say. The worst thing is it appears to be ON by default. IMNHO, default settings should ALWAYS be OEM function.

This is all the manual says:
1625215678287.png

1625215700252.png
I am know I am replying to an old thread, but damn did this help me!!!

Was wondering why I was getting crazy blinking ABS and Brake lights in the cluster and why I couldn't drive. I though that I had broken something when I installed the Tazer after my proximity kit upgrade and tire size change.

So glad to know that it was an easy to change Live setting.
Sponsored