Tekonsha Brake Control Wiring Harness

Combolc

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Toyota 4runner
Apparently the Tekonsha 3073-P adapter is out of stock everywhere on the planet. Etrailer has me at 2.5 months - put on order with Dale's Superstore and Reese Hitches today. Reese is out of stock. Somebody mentioned using a Dodge RAM adapter and swapping pins. Can I get details on which adapter that is?
not sure what controller you are using but

You can use the RAM harness and swap the black and blue or use the Curt harness and drop in a diode.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/curt-brake-harness-c51459.22227/#post-344064
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Try calling these guys: https://www.statetrailer.com/

When everyone else showed no stock, they got one for me in three days (weekend, so one business day). This was about three weeks ago.

Combolc

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Toyota 4runner
Apparently the Tekonsha 3073-P adapter is out of stock everywhere on the planet. Etrailer has me at 2.5 months - put on order with Dale's Superstore and Reese Hitches today. Reese is out of stock. Somebody mentioned using a Dodge RAM adapter and swapping pins. Can I get details on which adapter that is?

I have an extra 3014-P but that would require the diode if interested.

MikeNC

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Try calling these guys: https://www.statetrailer.com/

When everyone else showed no stock, they got one for me in three days (weekend, so one business day). This was about three weeks ago.
Thanks I'll try that. Let me tell you the struggle is real. Dales Superstore sold out - cancelled order. Told me whole inventory went to Camper World. Camper World nothing listed and none in internal inventory. I have two different vendors 3024-P on the way for the Ram to swap the wires, and a Redarc TPH-020 for the Ram.

Sponsored

MikeNC

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
So I have the Redarc brake, and I received the TPH-020 cable from them, which is the one for the Dodge RAM. I can certainly swap the black and blue wires. I watched this guy on youtube install this exact cable, except he had that issue if he pushed the brake button manually the dash freaked out. The discussions seemed to point to a lack of diode, presumably in the red wire. I pinned out this TPH-020 cable with a multimeter, and there is certainly a diode in the red wire. I mean I guess it's possible that youtube guy's TPH-020 cable didn't have one, but this one sure does. Just trying to not plug something unstable into my new truck.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
The diode has to be in the right wire, and facing the right direction (negative/positive). I don't know the pinout and requirements here, just pointing out that presence of a diode on a harness that has to have wires moved around my not be the full solution.

MikeNC

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
So I have the Redarc brake, and I received the TPH-020 cable from them, which is the one for the Dodge RAM. I can certainly swap the black and blue wires. I watched this guy on youtube install this exact cable, except he had that issue if he pushed the brake button manually the dash freaked out. The discussions seemed to point to a lack of diode, presumably in the red wire. I pinned out this TPH-020 cable with a multimeter, and there is certainly a diode in the red wire. I mean I guess it's possible that youtube guy's TPH-020 cable didn't have one, but this one sure does. Just trying to not plug something unstable into my new truck.
I guess I should have looked at the comments on youtube guy's video. He had one initial error that never reappeared and the brake worked perfect even manually applying. He did in fact have the diode inline. Also the polarity and the resistance one-way are correct per other threads.

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR / 2005 Grand Cherokee
Thanks I'll try that. Let me tell you the struggle is real. Dales Superstore sold out - cancelled order. Told me whole inventory went to Camper World. Camper World nothing listed and none in internal inventory. I have two different vendors 3024-P on the way for the Ram to swap the wires, and a Redarc TPH-020 for the Ram.
I had one order of a 3024 get lost in the mail, trying another vendor on Amazon. Fingers crossed it shows up next week.

ZX6steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 72 K5 Blazer
Harness works great.
Velcro attachment to the side of the center console for the brake controller.
No feedback... clean quick easy job. Have less the 10 minutes time for the installation.

A84B190C-21B6-4D73-9238-E891FA5CD35E.jpeg

F29FF251-1FB0-4150-A2DC-939AF636139F.jpeg
Clean install, easy to reach too. Question though. I thought brake controllers had to be installed facing in the direction that the vehicle is travelling, or at least close too it. I have a Tekonsha P3 prodigy controller on my Gladiator, and the install instructions stated this as well. I think there is some sort of gravity controlled mercury type switch inside that can detect when the vehicle is slowing down that also triggers the brakes to activate. Food for thought. Maybe thats just the Tekonsha controllers? I have mine mounted on the knee panel under the steering wheel, just left of center. I can still see it while driving, and is within easy reach in case I want to use the manual brake lever, or make adjustments. The prodigy controller stays on for about 15 minutes, then turns off automatically, but I remove mine between uses and just unplug it from the Tekonsha harness, and tuck the harness up under the dash.

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Modern controllers use accelerometers, not mercury switches. The Tekonsha POD series can be mounted in literally any direction (that's what he has). Others can be mounted off-axis as far as up/down, but still need to face forward. Read the docs for your own controller before installing it.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The TPH-020 has the diode, it's in the red wire. I tested mine with a multimeter and confirmed power would only flow one way as as expected. I'm not sure why he had that issues, but several of us have run the cable with no issues at all. I have pressed my brake button both with and without a trailer and had no problems. He also tried it again later and everything was fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: KVJ

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase

70deuce

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20Gladiator/01TJ/96ZJ/83CJ7/42 MB/43 GPW/70M35A2
Occupation
Retired Navy Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed a Tekonsha Primus IQ model 90160 brake controller and a 3014-P harness taking a chance on the harness working with the Gladiator. It does. All brake and light functions work perfectly.

135DA652-FB86-437A-B40F-6B1491D749F5.jpeg
Sponsored