Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I think renewable energy is awesome, I think it has a future, particularly for urbanites. But make no mistake, there is no replacement for petroleum products as feedstock material for the synthetics/plastics industry.
This is exactly true, but we have to start somewhere with something. There are folks out there looking at other mass producible building materials... at some point they'll make their way into vehicles as well. I don't think everything will change overnight. If we can get past needing the petroleum to fuel our vehicles then we'll need less for plastic, but I still think we also need to move towards a world without plastics as they're made now. I don't doubt technology's ability to solve these problems if we look hard enough.

... a lot of people just assume that electrics will lower your carbon footprint and ignore the fact that the net carbon footprint of electrics are still high just like solar and it will really take off when the technology advances to the point where the net carbon footprint is much lower.
This is a huge thing. I will not pretend to be an expert on the subject, but I understand that mining lithium is its own new environmental issue that will be coming along. I am not wanting to jump right into a battery powered car right now, but I would like to see us starting to power our vehicles with something cleaner and longer lasting.

I am not of a mind that we should NOT do something simply because it's not the perfect answer right now. We've stumbled along, course-correcting as we go, for as long as there has been science and technology. We'll continue doing it... hopefully we don't destroy the environment before we get there. (c:
Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Not hardly, as of yesterday, Telsa worth pegged at $38.8 Billion. RIght now Telsa big problem is its burn rate vs revenue stream.
Not sure you understand how buyouts work - you don’t just place an order with E*TRADE for *all the stock please*. There’s going to be a minimum of a15-20% premium over the market price of the stock if you’re lucky, which brings you right to the 45-50B mark. Remind me which auto maker has $45B I’m cash laying around?

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
Not sure you understand how buyouts work - you don’t just place an order with E*TRADE for *all the stock please*. There’s going to be a minimum of a15-20% premium over the market price of the stock if you’re lucky, which brings you right to the 45-50B mark. Remind me which auto maker has $45B I’m cash laying around?
LOL, yes I DO! very well, you are not always guaranteed a premium, I have been bought out and have been in companies that got bought out...

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Of course there are plenty of situations where we still need oil. The point is reducing the dependency, not necessarily eliminating it. Maybe we'll get there one day but you have to start somewhere.

My wife and I are eyeing the VW ID Buzz (modern electric microbus) due in 2022. An electric van with dual motors and over 300 mile range sounds incredible.
What is reducing your dependence on petroleum going to do for you, while creating a dependence for materials far, far more scarce which require both open pit mining as well as shaft mining to obtain?

Bear in mind that the largest and most economically obtained reserves of these materials are in China and Africa(where coincidentally there is no EPA).

If you ever spent even one day in an economics class, you understand exactly what is happening. You are creating a higher cost solution to a low cost fuel, and you feel like you need to because why?

"Carbon footprint" is a crock of horse shit. It is designed to make you somehow feel guilty for being alive, and offer a solution to assuage that guilt by paying someone more taxes, who tells you that if you don't the seas will rise and millions will die.

Don't get duped into crippling the most powerful and successful nation on the planet with that horse shit. Because THAT is exactly what is happening.

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible
What is reducing your dependence on petroleum going to do for you, while creating a dependence for materials far, far more scarce which require both open pit mining as well as shaft mining to obtain?

Bear in mind that the largest and most economically obtained reserves of these materials are in China and Africa(where coincidentally there is no EPA).

If you ever spent even one day in an economics class, you understand exactly what is happening. You are creating a higher cost solution to a low cost fuel, and you feel like you need to because why?

"Carbon footprint" is a crock of horse shit. It is designed to make you somehow feel guilty for being alive, and offer a solution to assuage that guilt by paying someone more taxes, who tells you that if you don't the seas will rise and millions will die.

Don't get duped into crippling the most powerful and successful nation on the planet with that horse shit. Because THAT is exactly what is happening.
I have a BS in Accounting and an MBA with emphases in International Business and Macroeconomics. I spent years as a university instructor before transitioning to auto finance to make my nut. I'm not here to argue. We can agree to disagree. I think I'd have a hard time convincing someone who lists his or her location as the number 1 and number 3 oil-producing states in the country of anything related to alternative fuels. All I'm saying is we'll never know if we can do better if we don't try. You're right. Every alternative fuel has massive undesirable tradeoffs right now, but who knows what discoveries will be made? Who knows how much better the tech will get? It won't do a thing if we aren't pushing the industry forward though.

Sponsored

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
Big oil is after Tesla. Don't believe 95% of the stuff you read. Elon sets the bar high so even if he does not meet the goals he sets for his employees he still way ahead of everyone else. All the big automakers are in big oils front pocket. It's 2019 and a Jeep still gets 14 mi to the gallon. Do you think Ford gm FCA could do better by now or is it that they're being paid by big oil?
Have you watched the TFL series on getting a Tesla repaired?

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I have a BS in Accounting and an MBA with emphases in International Business and Macroeconomics. I spent years as a university instructor before transitioning to auto finance to make my nut. I'm not here to argue. We can agree to disagree. I think I'd have a hard time convincing someone who lists his or her location as the number 1 and number 3 oil-producing states in the country of anything related to alternative fuels. All I'm saying is we'll never know if we can do better if we don't try. You're right. Every alternative fuel has massive undesirable tradeoffs right now, but who knows what discoveries will be made? Who knows how much better the tech will get? It won't do a thing if we aren't pushing the industry forward though.

I'm not here to argue either, I'm just stating what should be abundantly obvious. Which is the economics and environmental impact of ALL existing forms of AE is upside down, but particularly EV technology.

Your assertion that I am blind to alternative energy because I live in oil producing states is patently false and borderline absurd. You're not here to argue, you're here to instead assert that someone who you have never met and know nothing of must be opposed to alternative energy? LOL, you must be a Democrat, are you going to call me a racist too?

Push the industry, innovate, develop alternative energy to your hearts content, just do it with your own money, not mine.

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible
I'm not here to argue either, I'm just stating what should be abundantly obvious. Which is the economics and environmental impact of ALL existing forms of AE is upside down, but particularly EV technology.

Your assertion that I am blind to alternative energy because I live in oil producing states is patently false and borderline absurd. You're not here to argue, you're here to instead assert that someone who you have never met and know nothing of must be opposed to alternative energy? LOL, you must be a Democrat, are you going to call me a racist too?

Push the industry, innovate, develop alternative energy to your hearts content, just do it with your own money, not mine.
You literally told me that anyone who has attended an Econ class will agree with you...

Ain't nobody got time for this. I'm out. Have a good one!

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
You literally told me that anyone who has attended an Econ class will agree with you...

I said you would "understand" not "agree", but ok, have a good day.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
LOL, yes I DO! very well, you are not always guaranteed a premium, I have been bought out and have been in companies that got bought out...
In no world is there not a premium to buy a high-profile public company whose largest shareholder does not want to sell. Period.

Evev if you take an acquisistion premium out of the picture, what automaker has $40B in cash & equivalents to do this deal?

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
This shell game Elon is doing has to eventually implode. Cannot fathom this razzle and dazzle them with new stuff when he cannot even meet current production targets and has yet to turn a profit.

LittleRocker

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S and Tesla Model 3
Tesla has turned a profit in two of the three last quarters. And, there is an inventory (though small) of cars available for immediate delivery. Should they overproduce? That’s old dealership philosophy in a time of just in time production.

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
In no world is there not a premium to buy a high-profile public company whose largest shareholder does not want to sell. Period.

Even if you take an acquisition premium out of the picture, what automaker has $40B in cash & equivalents to do this deal?
Not an automaker - there have been rumors for a few years now about AAPL buying TSLA cuz they have $245b in cashola sitting in a heap that @steffen707 built plywood cases for ;). I doubt it will happen but who knows...

@LittleRocker Reg. TSLA being profitable I just looked at their financial sheets and no way they are ending 2019 in the black. To make matters worse the most devilish bank GS has a sell rating on them and they are pretty much 100% always right because they have made a deal with the devil and all Govts Treasury Departments LOL.

@Hootbro - I don't believe Elon is playing a shell game tho, gotta give him credit that he definitely did disrupt the auto industry and to do that as an outsider to take on that humungous automotive lobby and win in a lot of ways is definitely commendable, and he prolly has BO to thank for it as well because he got a lot of subsidies from the Govt. This tech probably already was there in some lab in the big 3 auto firms who knows cuz one thing the big corps do is not disrupt the cash cow :).
He is def not gonna die poor cuz he will make a lot of money in SpaceX as they get a lot of Govt contracts and from other countries as well. I just like the idea that he puts his money where his mouth is and just builds even if it fails it is exhilarating to see the Howard Hughes of our generation go to work... We need a bit of that kind of crazy in our world ;)

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

I majored in Economics, Finance and Real Estate, I too disagree, and i'm not even a robot.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"