Test Drove Gobi Mojave

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
Just came back from test driving my third Gladiator. Gorgeous Gobi Mojave with black interior. Great ride and composure, but the steering was very loose and vague. Wandered at 45-60 mph all over the road. My wife drove it too and she thought the same. The dealer had 4 Mojaves, but only one was available. May order one in september, but want to test drive the 2021 F-150 Platinum before I pull the trigger.
Sponsored

Ozarkgolfer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland/BMW X2
Occupation
International Logistics
Did you point it out to the sales guy and did he drive it as well? Would you have considered it if he had it adjusted? Ordering one is no guarantee that you will have the steering fixed.

OP
OP
Casique

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
We test drove alone, no sales person. But I did point it out to him after the drive. He said it was a Wrangler thing, and that you just have to "hold on tight to the steering wheel"..

WhippetTaxi

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 410, 2011 BMW 1M, 2001 F250
Occupation
Retired
We test drove alone, no sales person. But I did point it out to him after the drive. He said it was a Wrangler thing, and that you just have to "hold on tight to the steering wheel"..
You can tell the sales person that it can’t be a Wrangler thing, as it is a different model (i.e., Gladiator). It could be an issue with the steering, the alignment, the wheel balancing, or even the tread depth/tread type on the new tires.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
They ship the JT with 45 PSI in the tires for transport and lot storage. I bet they had not deflated down to 37 PSI per spec and that exacerbated the steering issue even more.

CTFriel

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Agreed with @Hootbro. Mine had 40psi in it when picked up. I also just guess I’m so used to lifted vehicles that I feel like the stock JT rides on rails. It’s the tightest Jeep “wrangler” platform I’ve driven and I’ve owned them all.

CTFriel

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Good point, did not check the tire pressure. I did notice it had mud terrain tires instead of the all terrain. It did look bad-ass though...
they also install Load C tires from the factory. Plus to the dealer/tire shop is they wear out faster. IMO it should come with Load E.

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
Ford is junk. Why would you even want to test drive one? I bet the wandering was due to over inflated tires. I picked mine up a month ago and it had almost 50 psi, once I aired it down the ride is nice.

Sponsored

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
I have read several threads on the loose steering. My Mojave has the mud tires. Just drove a few hundred miles. The first half of my trip was at 47 PSI. It did wander and the steering feels overboosted and subject to driver induced oscillation. I dropped the PSI on the trail to 22 and the Mojave freaking rocked it on bumpy, undulating dirt roads and desert two track. I re-inflated to 37 for the drive home (by the way, shout out to Tire Fill Assist feature. So cool!) and it felt much better than the ride down but I was subjected to really high winds so I couldn’t get a great read on the steering improvement.
My steering isn’t as bad as some have reported. It’s got a unique feel to it but not wonder into other people lane uncontrollably like some people have said.

satfico

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Thanks, great information. Just activated my Tire Fill Assist. Didn't think i had that feature until i looked in my apps!

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Update, just drove with the 37 PSI in each tire and no problems. Drives fine on the freeway at 75.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Good point, did not check the tire pressure. I did notice it had mud terrain tires instead of the all terrain. It did look bad-ass though...
If they changed the tires, what else did the dealer add? If a lift, that could be why it wanders. Cheap lifts look "bad ass", and contribute to a variety of problems on those vehicles. One being wandering steering.

BTW, if you decide that you want Gobi, it isn't being made anymore.
Sponsored