Sponsored

TFLTruck makes the best argument for not buying a Gladiator

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
TFLTruck goes out for a drive in a new Gladiator (MSRP $60K) and tells you what you could buy for that $60K or less. They make some good points to consider.

My biggest argument to everyone is JUST WAIT. Don't buy it at all. The more people that don't buy them immediately, the quicker the price will come down. It's going to come down by the end of the year and of course some of the good colors aren't even available yet. So just wait and get the best deal you can. Come back here and BRAG your butt off on how much you saved while we all bow before you and scream that we're not worthy. ;)

Sponsored

KirkG

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 2017 F-150, 2019 JLUR
Nah
I love the guys at TFL but they seem a bit “off” toward Jeep lately. I would not choose any of the trucks they mentioned the door/top off is king for me, and they are not correct on the pricing. You just gotta read the forum

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
I believe they are comparing a niche vehicle to the truck mass market. Like comparing Ferrari sales to Ford sales. The Gladiator and the Wrangler are niche vehicles that cater to folks who know what they are buying and those that want to be seen wearing one.

Economies of scale reduce the price of all things. Mass market truck sales go to fleets. Doubtful that the Gladiator will surpass a Tacoma anytime soon and I'm okay with that...

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I’d like to hear ‘Pouffy-Jacket boy’ compare the Taco & Colorado w/ pricing also -

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
You notice that they didn’t actually compare the JT to other mid sized trucks?

First of all there is no actual competition to the JT Rubicon...the ZR 2 comes in a distant second due to the fact that it doesn’t have a solid front axle, has a smaller cabin and doesn’t have the hauling capacity.

The Sport and Sport S would be more of an apple to apple comparison with the other midsize trucks but once again the competition doesn’t have the ability to drop the top, or tow as much or haul as much. The new Ranger is mid forties for their upper version and they are not discounting it at all and the rear seat is a joke and you have a 4 banger..

You get more with the JT and you have to pay more for it. If you don’t want the capabilities then go buy a taco with rear drum brakes!!

I’ve said it before but it bears repeating here again. The only real competition to the JT is the Toyota 79 Series Land Cruiser which you can’t get here. Where it is available it cost about $75K USD.I have driven this truck and it is awesome, in fact i’m going back to Africa on Wednesday and will be driving the 79 Series on, what I hope to be an awesome crossing of the Namib Desert..pictures to follow when I return.

I’m getting a JT Rubicon.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
Nah
I love the guys at TFL but they seem a bit “off” toward Jeep lately. I would not choose any of the trucks they mentioned the door/top off is king for me, and they are not correct on the pricing. You just gotta read the forum
I'd have to disagree. They have practically kissing Jeeps ass IMO. Those guys are Jeep lovers.

I believe they are comparing a niche vehicle to the truck mass market. Like comparing Ferrari sales to Ford sales. The Gladiator and the Wrangler are niche vehicles that cater to folks who know what they are buying and those that want to be seen wearing one.

Economies of scale reduce the price of all things. Mass market truck sales go to fleets. Doubtful that the Gladiator will surpass a Tacoma anytime soon and I'm okay with that...
It wasn't a comparison at all. They're just giving you an idea of the things you can buy for the same money.

5chema

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Canada Launch Edition (1of419)
Vehicle Showcase
Like comparing Ferrari sales to Ford sales.
I never been attracted by pickup truck. And I think I will never own a pickup truck...

Instead, I always been attracted by Jeep. I finally got a JK and I know I will possess a JT, but never a pickup truck!

You know, there’s a difference, and there’s a price to set the difference... it remembers me when I was the only foolish one in my neighbourhood to buy ïŁżApple products in the 80’s... and people were joking at me because it was pricey and the ProDOS was too simpler than MS-DOS...

(But I’m not so sure I want the JT to become as popular as this!!! Am I egoist?!? ;))

5chema

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Canada Launch Edition (1of419)
Vehicle Showcase
First of all there is no actual competition to the JT Rubicon...
It’s like when they compared the Gladiator to the Bison... I don’t know what are your conclusions but I keep seeing in my head the greater front axle action of the Gladiator in One Tree Hill and hearing all the bumps
sounds and the Bison driver saying: «I don’t see a damned thing over this head bulge... I think I felt something... the approach angle is actually a little diminish in this...»

Sponsored

CaliJK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
I never been attracted by pickup truck. And I think I will never own a pickup truck...

Instead, I always been attracted by Jeep. I finally got a JK and I know I will possess a JT, but never a pickup truck!

You know, there’s a difference, and there’s a price to set the difference... it remembers me when I was the only foolish one in my neighbourhood to buy ïŁżApple products in the 80’s... and people were joking at me because it was pricey and the ProDOS was too simpler than MS-DOS...

(But I’m not so sure I want the JT to become as popular as this!!! Am I egoist?!? ;))
Same here. 2 years ago I sold my JK for a ram 1500. We bought a horse and farm to go with it, so thought I needed the pickup. It comes in handy grabbing bales of Hay, but I miss my Jeep. This summer it's either a JLU or a JT.

I'd rather have the work of hooking up a trailer for hay runs than drive the pickup. It's a nice truck, I'm just not a pickup guy, I'm a Jeep guy. (Even got the tats to prove it) .

CaptStarboard

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brisbanejeepclub.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Wrangler
The only real competition to the JT is the Toyota 79 Series Land Cruiser which you can’t get here.

I’m getting a JT Rubicon.
Same is true in Australia. The 79 is one of the last solid front axel 4wd offered in AU. Them Wrangler and Suzuki Jimny are the others. Happy to hear the JT seems to drive nicely and doesn't have the "death wobbles" some solid front axel vehicles have. Time will tell as people get them delivered!

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
It’s like when they compared the Gladiator to the Bison... I don’t know what are your conclusions but I keep seeing in my head the greater front axle action of the Gladiator in One Tree Hill and hearing all the bumps
sounds and the Bison driver saying: «I don’t see a damned thing over this head bulge... I think I felt something... the approach angle is actually a little diminish in this...»

Exactly!

I was surprised to see the Bison actually scrape more than the longer Gladiator. Just proof that numbers don’t always prove out in the real world.
I had the ZR2 on my short list and actually drove several of them. They’re not bad and I would have bought one IF the Gladiator wasn’t coming out.
The view over the hood is really compromised and there is way too much cheap plastic for a vehicle in that price range.
Two other things that I thought was odd is that it only has 31” tires and the rear shock mounts really hang down...

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Same is true in Australia. The 79 is one of the last solid front axel 4wd offered in AU. Them Wrangler and Suzuki Jimny are the others. Happy to hear the JT seems to drive nicely and doesn't have the "death wobbles" some solid front axel vehicles have. Time will tell as people get them delivered!
Yeah now if Jeep would take this platform and make a SUV like the Toyota Troopy that would be awesome!

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You notice that they didn’t actually compare the JT to other mid sized trucks?

First of all there is no actual competition to the JT Rubicon...the ZR 2 comes in a distant second due to the fact that it doesn’t have a solid front axle, has a smaller cabin and doesn’t have the hauling capacity.
Actually....

The ZR2 has many benefits from it's IFS, one of them being increased ground clearance. And it still has twin lockers like the Rubicon. The cabin is pretty close to identical in size. The hauling capacity is greater than a Gladiator Rubicon. And there are gas and diesel options available NOW.

But, they did compare the Gladiator to the ZR2 Bison head to head in a video a few days ago. And there was no clear winner.
Sponsored