Thinking about trading in the Mojave for Rubi Diesel

jebsurf

First Name
jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 twin turbo explorer sport
So giving it some serious thought. The 3.6 is not and does not stack up to what I thought it was going to be. Spark knock, horrible mpg (10x worse when towing), and smoke on startup sometimes, just to name a few. I like the truck itself, love I can take the doors/top off, but it’s just not the perfect truck for me I don’t think. I plan on doing some overland IG trips coming up, and I just don’t have the warm and fuzzies about it. Anyone else considered this change up?
Sponsored

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I already have a diesel Ram, which is an amazing truck. If a diesel gladiator is half the truck, of a Ram it would be an improvement. I'm happy with my Mo Jave for now though, and I like everything about it except the anemic engine. Instead of the diesel, when a 392 is released I will jump ship in a heartbeat.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
So giving it some serious thought. The 3.6 is not and does not stack up to what I thought it was going to be. Spark knock, horrible mpg (10x worse when towing), and smoke on startup sometimes, just to name a few. I like the truck itself, love I can take the doors/top off, but it’s just not the perfect truck for me I don’t think. I plan on doing some overland IG trips coming up, and I just don’t have the warm and fuzzies about it. Anyone else considered this change up?
Sounds like there are issues that should be addressed by the dealership. The Mohave only has a 6000lb rating and with the suspension and wheels probably not the greatest tow vehicle without restrictions.

OP
OP
jebsurf

jebsurf

First Name
jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 twin turbo explorer sport
Sounds like there are issues that should be addressed by the dealership. The Mohave only has a 6000lb rating and with the suspension and wheels probably not the greatest tow vehicle without restrictions.
There’s a long history of it, and everything I’ve read so far, there are no sure fixes. They’ve even gone as far as replacing some members whole engines, still same issue. Not a very good feeling in long term reliability. There’s even. Youtuber (well known) his pretty much left him stranded. :/

2021Gladiator

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Communication
You won't regret getting the diesel, my Gladiator Rubicon has 2500 miles on it, it is getting 22 -23.5 around town with 2 inch lift and 35s already. It is very impressive, lots of torque, I also have a Ram 2500 diesel, I know the eco diesel will not tow as much but I am as impressed by the Gladiator Eco Diesel as any truck or jeep I have ever owned.

Sponsored

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
I have been think about trading my Rubicon for a diesel Rubicon. The tow capacity for the Rubicon diesel is the same as the Mojave, my biggest concern is the drop in payload capacity. My current Trailer is only 3500 gross and the other trailer we have been looking at is 3900, way under the tow limits.

I have driven the diesel a couple times now, it definitely has more power/torque. Gas mileage never went under 22 with aggressive driving.

It is a very difficult decision, to get more power and regear to try and help towing mileage a little (6-10 currently) would be about the same money as the difference between the value of mine and the diesel.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I already have a diesel Ram, which is an amazing truck. If a diesel gladiator is half the truck, of a Ram it would be an improvement. I'm happy with my Mo Jave for now though, and I like everything about it except the anemic engine. Instead of the diesel, when a 392 is released I will jump ship in a heartbeat.
My wife lady is going to leave me if the 392 comes out in a Rubicon JT. I told her sure I can't afford a JTR but it's my dream vehicle and it will be the last one I will ever want. How the heck am I going to explain to her that my JTR is junk now and I must trade it in to be happy once again? Then once I get a 392 they will decide to drop a Hellcat in them and the vicious circle continues with my new wife lady.

Now I know why Grandpa was married 5 times. But his problem was tow trucks. Grandpa loved himself a sweet new tow truck.

Last edited:

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
You won't regret getting the diesel, my Gladiator Rubicon has 2500 miles on it, it is getting 22 -23.5 around town with 2 inch lift and 35s already. It is very impressive, lots of torque, I also have a Ram 2500 diesel, I know the eco diesel will not tow as much but I am as impressed by the Gladiator Eco Diesel as any truck or jeep I have ever owned.
Thanks for the reply. It is good to see someone with diesel experience in a Ram that is also impressed with the diesel Gladiator.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
can always drop a 392 in. The Mojave seems perfect for that and will prob cost you the same as trading in your 3.6 for a diesel when all is said and done. Won't help with MPGs....

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I'm having identical thoughts. I love my Sport more than anything, but I wonder if the diesel would fit my life a little better. And funny you mention the smoke upon start... Today was the first time I saw it, and at 10,000 miles, I couldn't imagine what I was in store for come 80,000 or more... Let us know what you decide.

Sponsored

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
can always drop a 392 in. The Mojave seems perfect for that and will prob cost you the same as trading in your 3.6 for a diesel when all is said and done. Won't help with MPGs....
Unless you find and install a used engine, transmission, ecm, and make all the wiring harnesses and adapters by hand you would not be close in difference between trading in for a diesel or installing a 392. A 392 crate engine is close to 9k, the transmission would be 4-5k easily, and I have seen installation kits with ECM, wiring, engine mounts, etc. are around 15k plus installation. A new swap is 30k+, easily.

I know there are several members on the forums that have done a Hemi swap, and it was not inexpensive.

I was looking into a supercharger and regear; 7k for the supercharger, 2k for the regear, plus installation would put me around 10-12k which is about the difference to trade in for the diesel. I know the superchargers are covered for 3/36 part/powertrain but it is not the same as factory warranty. Also, the diesel has a 5year/100k mile powertrain warranty. Would I have more power than stock with a supercharger, yes. Would it help with towing, more than likely. Would I get halfway decent mileage, no. You also have to run premium gas which is more than diesel.

For me, would I love to have the 392. Definitely!! But for a daily driver with occasionally towing it is not the practical choice. Everyone is different and will have a different opinion based on their own wants and needs.

For the OP, if you are having doubts with your current engine get it looked at then decide. I have occasional rough idling and stumbling but mine has not triggered the dreaded misfire code. Since day one, I get black soot out of the exhaust so bad it has covered the back wall of the garage below the exhaust, my 2018 JL wrangler never did this. My Gladiator has never seen the city mileage number, even before the lift and tires, on the highway. My JL would easily beat the mileage numbers on the sticker, both city and highway.

JCHGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate sales/Development
When it comes to reliability the 3.6 will win the Pepsi challenge all day long against the eco diesel, I’m sorry but this diesel is not a proven engine, quite the opposite....I certainly hope this Gen puts the previous ones to shame, the concept and drivability are great, but historically speaking and just by shear number of sample size the 3.6 is actually very reliable.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
The diesel is a much more complex setup, that’s for sure. They are Awesome when functioning correctly, and can be a real challenge to repair since dealerships are hit & miss with experience to work on them. I love my WRUD & have had no issues so far, but I will be looking hard at Sarge Green when it hits the dealerships on the JT. Will likely wait a year or so to see what shakes out with the V8 and maybe the 3.6 replacement engine. If the diesel continues to be a winner for me I would likely get another one.
For the OP, I hope you can get your mechanical issues sorted out, the 3.6 should be adequate but yours definitely does not sound healthy. :(

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Unless you find and install a used engine, transmission, ecm, and make all the wiring harnesses and adapters by hand you would not be close in difference between trading in for a diesel or installing a 392. A 392 crate engine is close to 9k, the transmission would be 4-5k easily, and I have seen installation kits with ECM, wiring, engine mounts, etc. are around 15k plus installation. A new swap is 30k+, easily.

I know there are several members on the forums that have done a Hemi swap, and it was not inexpensive.

I was looking into a supercharger and regear; 7k for the supercharger, 2k for the regear, plus installation would put me around 10-12k which is about the difference to trade in for the diesel. I know the superchargers are covered for 3/36 part/powertrain but it is not the same as factory warranty. Also, the diesel has a 5year/100k mile powertrain warranty. Would I have more power than stock with a supercharger, yes. Would it help with towing, more than likely. Would I get halfway decent mileage, no. You also have to run premium gas which is more than diesel.

For me, would I love to have the 392. Definitely!! But for a daily driver with occasionally towing it is not the practical choice. Everyone is different and will have a different opinion based on their own wants and needs.

For the OP, if you are having doubts with your current engine get it looked at then decide. I have occasional rough idling and stumbling but mine has not triggered the dreaded misfire code. Since day one, I get black soot out of the exhaust so bad it has covered the back wall of the garage below the exhaust, my 2018 JL wrangler never did this. My Gladiator has never seen the city mileage number, even before the lift and tires, on the highway. My JL would easily beat the mileage numbers on the sticker, both city and highway.
I was half joking with the 392 ;) however as a previous PROcharger owner on a different vehicle I don't see how any supercharger will benefit the gladiator as nothing happens with these below 2.5K rpm and the music just starts above 4K rpm with all the full gains delivered at peak rpm. Notice how all the dyno charts that get posted the RPMs start above 2.5K sometimes 4K? These are really made for quarter mile runs and such where you just floor it in my opinion. In my Mustang I could cruise around town and even the interstate without ever getting into boost and when you did it was glorious but only a few seconds at a time. That keeps it also fairly safe for the engine but I cannot see it being a good idea to have even as low as 5-6 PSI on the 3.6 when towing up a hill for several minutes. There's also no proper videos I can find on either the 392 swaps or the superchargers where they do a full TFL style review which is a bummer

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I’m deciding between the Overland and Sport diesel with popular equipment packages. Why? Because the decreased payload and loss of 4.10 gears on the Rubicon when going diesel. The Rubicon is going to have under 1k payload, something to consider if you overland or tow as the hitch and passengers reduce you payload. If the bigger monitor and leather seats with rear armrest is important the Overland is the way to go. If not, the sport. You can add front lockers if you want.
Sponsored