First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 LR Defender , '21 JTR
Occupation
Paramedic
Its surprising to see so many bad dealership experiences. I have had good luck with my local dealer and generally enjoy taking it in for service. I have a great relationship with the service advisor and they take great care of my vehicles. My daily work is handling warranty claims for Ford and FCA dealerships. I work closely with service departments in getting warranty claims paid. I believe the thought is that they have an easy job but I know from experience that the techs, in many cases, go above and beyond for many repairs and are not properly compensated for the work they did. Being a service advisor is also a tough job. As vehicles get more expensive customers seem to be less tolerant of vehicle issues. On many occasions the service department, either from a poor customer explanation of the concern or from the concern only occurring intermittently or during specific circumstances are unable to fix an issue the first time. I know I can't speak for all dealerships but as far as the ones I work with they do care about your vehicles and do care things are done properly. Anyway that is only my perspective which I understand is different than most. I just wanted offer up a difference view as food for thought.

Hank
I'm sure this has been talked about, but whats the feeling for getting warranty work after a mod like mild lift and tires? Of course I know I'd be on the hook for driveline issues. I've read through many posts, but really don't have a clear understanding.
Thanks!

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure this has been talked about, but whats the feeling for getting warranty work after a mod like mild lift and tires? Of course I know I'd be on the hook for driveline issues. I've read through many posts, but really don't have a clear understanding.
Thanks!
I've never had a issue even with driveline issues getting warranty work done. I got a 2.5" lift on mine and 35's and they approved me for the Steering box TSB 3 weeks ago. Had 4-1/4" lift and 37's on my 2010 JKU and they replaced my torque converter twice under warranty on it. I guess it really comes down to the dealership though. I always use the same one and they know me and never turn me away for any kind of work. Some will I guess because some people have reported being turned down but then went to another dealership and they did the work.

Hank_

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Mojave, 1941 Willys
Occupation
Ford and Jeep warranty claim analyst.
Thanks!
The main thing to remember regardless of who the manufacturer is was the part that failed the fault of the factory or driver abuse or error. Any part can fail any time. I won't lie and say that if a manufacturer can get out of paying a warranty claim they will. It seems reasonable to deny an engine claim if a person has modified the engine form how it came from the factory. It is just something we have to deal with especially with vehicles like ours that are so fun to modify. If you are running larger tires and lift but are having an engine oil leak issue there should be no reason to deny the claim and most all dealers will pay it. If the vehicle comes in and shows signs of abuse and the oil pan is dented and scraped then the claim is not likely to get paid. Most dealers are happy to work to keep customers happy and coming back.

Hank

Nebulocity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Mojave - Sting Gray
So freaking mad right now.
Went to drop off at my local dealer for the first oil change at 5022 miles. Was told by the service department that since my Oil Life indicator was still at 36% they couldn't change the oil since it wasn't time yet. They said the manufacturer says "it needs to get to 0% to give the engine a chance to lube up".
I said I don't care, I want them to change it now, at 5000 miles. They refused, and said come back when it's closer to 0%.
That literally is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. One thing turning away a paying customer (or reimbursement from the MFG), but refusing an oil change based on the oil life % rather than mileage is ridiculous to me.
Screw the Jeep Wave, I'll rotate and change the oil myself rather than let these morons around my jeep.

Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I said I don't care, I want them to change it now, at 5000 miles. They refused, and said come back when it's closer to 0%.
lol can a Tazer modify this? Just go back tomorrow and tell them you Ferris Buellered it in the garage and it's magically now at 0%.

2021Gladiator

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Communication
Went to drop off at my local dealer for the first oil change at 5022 miles. Was told by the service department that since my Oil Life indicator was still at 36% they couldn't change the oil since it wasn't time yet. They said the manufacturer says "it needs to get to 0% to give the engine a chance to lube up".
That literally is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. One thing turning away a paying customer (or reimbursement from the MFG), but refusing an oil change based on the oil life % rather than mileage is ridiculous to me.
Screw the Jeep Wave, I'll rotate and change the oil myself rather than let these morons around my jeep.
Just got my first Wave oil change today, had 15% oil life left, they never mentioned it and reset oil life.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Not true, I had mine changed at 4,000 miles and it was at 60%. Dealership never questioned it. Had the second one done at 8500 miles and it was at 52%, again they never questioned it, all done under the jeep wave program. I let it run its course for the third one and it went 10,000 miles and still was at 6%, right at 19,000 miles when I had it changed the first of January. Each time they just changed it and rotated the tires at the 8500 change and my last changed. I've heard people say they want rotate tires bigger than stock but Hendricks told me if they are on the jeep when it comes in for service they will rotate them. They had no problem doing my 35's.

For reference when I say not true I.was meaning what the dealership told you. I'd find a different dealership

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
LOL, that's crazy.

I think I would have made a trip into the GM's habitat.

And then I would find another dealer because they aren't qualified to clean the ashtray in it.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
When I took mine in the Advisor mentioned I was at 4,300 miles and 34% on the oil meter and said I don't need it yet. I responded back with they give me 4 services and Ill use them every 6 months no matter what the meter says and the Advisor said ok and got me in

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Most dealerships, can't say all, use trainee mechanics from local schools to do oil change, tire rotation, lube.

Bought the wife an Oldsmobile in the early 90's, discounted oil changes and longer mileage warranty for them doing the oil changes. Second oil change the kid forgot to put oil drain plug back in. First clue should have been the horrendous noise on start up. Second clue should have been the 4.5 quarts of oil stain on the floor under the car.

Dealership bought that car back that day. I have never used a dealership since.

MNWillys

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2121 Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Government
Like many of you, I avoid the dealership service department at all cost. 3 years of free maintenance? No thanks, I'd rather do it myself....I know how to count to 5 quarts. I decided to go with a Mopar lift on my Gladiator, and in an effort to not disqualify my Jeep from a service contract, I opted to have it "professionally" installed at the dealership. Unfortunately, even scheduling appears to be too complex for my local dealership to figure out. Having scheduled my appointment weeks ago, I was assured that they could complete the work in one day. So, woke up early on my day off to have it there at the 7:30 scheduled time. They call me back at 8:30, and tell me that the "accessories guy" takes Mondays off, and he will start on it first thing tomorrow. I ask why I was scheduled for his day off, and told it would be done......they don't know.

I know there are far more frustrating experiences than having your lift kit delayed, but I'm just astounded at the incompetence at every level.
A lot of the dealers near me don't install lifts, they end up sending it to a qualified installer. It pays to look around if you can find a similar situation.

F3Orangeman

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTOD, ’02 F-150 SCrew
Occupation
Stay-at-Home Financial Analyst (thanks to COVID)
Not true, I had mine changed at 4,000 miles and it was at 60%. Dealership never questioned it. Had the second one done at 8500 miles and it was at 52%, again they never questioned it, all done under the jeep wave program. I let it run its course for the third one and it went 10,000 miles and still was at 6%, right at 19,000 miles when I had it changed the first of January. Each time they just changed it and rotated the tires at the 8500 change and my last changed. I've heard people say they want rotate tires bigger than stock but Hendricks told me if they are on the jeep when it comes in for service they will rotate them. They had no problem doing my 35's.

For reference when I say not true I.was meaning what the dealership told you. I'd find a different dealership
@Jeeperjamie You are using Hendrix in Concord, right? So you would give their service department a good rating? Just got my diesel, and in doing a little research, Hendrix has, by far, a lot more diesel JTs on their lot than anyone else. So I’m thinking they are the place to go, even though my local Jeep is quite a bit closer.

2021Gladiator

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Communication
@Nebulocity

What's worse then the Service Departments action is what you did... You, let them tell you that, you let them blow smoke up your arse..... YOU kept your mouth shut and just drove off. Hate to be so blunt, but you need to get a set of balls!

Dealer would not pull that chitt with me or say one of my Sons... No way... I'd be at the dealerships, General Manager's office and politely but very firmly reading them the riot act..

I'd have my smart phone in hand with a FCA rep right on the line..

Dedicated Jeep Customer Care: Ph. 1-866-362-2146....

Can tell you, I would have had that friggin oil change done!
Yep, just noticed the sticker they put on the window, next service in 5k miles, that will be 50% on oil meter. I will get my second free one in 5k miles no matter what the oil percentage says.

Nebulocity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Mojave - Sting Gray
LOL, that's crazy.

I think I would have made a trip into the GM's habitat.

And then I would find another dealer because they aren't qualified to clean the ashtray in it.
I didn't want to raise a stink at the time because whatever the analogy for spitting in someone's soup when you complain at a restarant is to
@Nebulocity

What's worse then the Service Departments action is what you did... You, let them tell you that, you let them blow smoke up your arse..... YOU kept your mouth shut and just drove off. Hate to be so blunt, but you need to get a set of balls!

Dealer would not pull that chitt with me or say one of my Sons... No way... I'd be at the dealerships, General Manager's office and politely but very firmly reading them the riot act..

I'd have my smart phone in hand with a FCA rep right on the line..

Dedicated Jeep Customer Care: Ph. 1-866-362-2146....

Can tell you, I would have had that friggin oil change done!
Thanks for that. But I had my reasons.
This was the same dealership that quoted me full MSRP for my factory order and refused to budge. I ended up finding Gupton and coming out fine, but overall had a pretty negative experience with this dealership.
I thought I'd use them to get my free 3 services, but as soon as they pulled this crap, I'm done. I didn't want to argue and force them to service my Jeep.
One, because I don't want them touching my Jeep because I don't trust they know what they're doing, Two. I don't want them touching my Jeep period. I'm better just walking out. My balls are bigger for that I think :rock:
Sponsored