Thoughts on Garmin Overlander?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Get your Garmin on Ebay or another source. I bought mine new for about $400 bucks on Ebay. I had to be patient and keep looking, but after 2 or 3 weeks I stumbled across it.

While it does lack some features, it does some other things better than many others and the wireless camera feature is unique. If you use an Inreach, that's another advantage.

But at the end of the day, you have to do your own cost/benefit analysis, and I would agree, that at $700 bucks, I would not have done it. But $400? Yep, and glad I did.
Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Get your Garmin on Ebay or another source. I bought mine new for about $400 bucks on Ebay. I had to be patient and keep looking, but after 2 or 3 weeks I stumbled across it.

While it does lack some features, it does some other things better than many others and the wireless camera feature is unique. If you use an Inreach, that's another advantage.

But at the end of the day, you have to do your own cost/benefit analysis, and I would agree, that at $700 bucks, I would not have done it. But $400? Yep, and glad I did.
I did not get quite as lucky as you - I got mine as new on ePay for $525, but happy to have it.

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
I really like the camera feature. I’m caught between getting that and I have the Tazer which also allows a camera via the 8.4 radio. Not sure which route yet. They probably cost the same, however, installing the Garmin camera will be much easier and quicker.

I was really disappointed with it overall and did not want to be. It’s a heck of a thing for you to tell yourself it was a mistake.

I plan to sit more with it tonight and see what else I want to try tomorrow.

I’m not connecting the iPad tomorrow, honestly, way too many electronics lol, sometimes getting lost is part of the fun.

Separate note, when connecting the iPad to the phone, I lost accuracy and it started hitting towers and not the gps. I also had a problem with the IPAD connecting to GPS at times off the grid.

Hope this is helpful.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
For me there were multiple pros which is why we got it. First and foremost is the magnetic mount and size. I have 2 jeeps and a motorhome. I installed RAM mounts in all of the vehicles with the base attached. I like being able to grab it out of the MH when we get someplace and put in jeep and go. So far my maps and locations have worked well. I make sure wifi is on and when in MH any updates pop up and run. I'm a tech guy and never could get decent maps on a tablet washout needing to download before loosing cell coverage. I think that was the main factor of grabbing the overlander for me.

As many have said YMMV but there are pros and cons to everything including our JT !

Sponsored

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
For me there were multiple pros which is why we got it. First and foremost is the magnetic mount and size. I have 2 jeeps and a motorhome. I installed RAM mounts in all of the vehicles with the base attached. I like being able to grab it out of the MH when we get someplace and put in jeep and go. So far my maps and locations have worked well. I make sure wifi is on and when in MH any updates pop up and run. I'm a tech guy and never could get decent maps on a tablet washout needing to download before loosing cell coverage. I think that was the main factor of grabbing the overlander for me.

As many have said YMMV but there are pros and cons to everything including our JT !
There are no cons to the JT!!! :)

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
These were my shenanigans from a few weeks ago comparing stuff...

0CB0DCD1-248B-4825-84F9-9E656BFAEB6B.jpeg
I ran my HD Traffic cable along the bottom edge of the windshield, where Garmin says you'll get the best reception. Used zip ties to keep it flat.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
I bought this, and like a lot of Jeep aftermarket, it is overpriced, but nevertheless I'm glad I got it, as it looks like it is an original part of the dash. It has three different places to attach the RAM mount; I chose the center. This places the 7" Overlander screen immediately above the 7" radio screen.

I also mounted a 12v receptacle on the Voswitch, with hidden wiring down to the the bundles below on passenger side. So I don't have the Garmin power cord running down to the 12v receptacle below the A/C controls.

With the Garmin magnetic mount, it is simple to pop it off and stick it in the center console.

DSCF3301.JPG

DSCF3302.JPG
I have mine set up this way, though I used a "C" size ball to secure it to a RAM Mount Tough-Track. Bonus points for adding a hard wired traffic tranceiver cable. I bought it mostly to avoid having to splice the accessory adapter cable (so I can use it in the future), but I'm soooo happy with the traffic tranceiver, super fast warnings of traffic issues, and easy/fast to re-route if I chose to.

Jeep Gladiator Thoughts on Garmin Overlander? almost-ther

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
I have mine set up this way, though I used a "C" size ball to secure it to a RAM Mount Tough-Track. Bonus points for adding a hard wired traffic tranceiver cable. I bought it mostly to avoid having to splice the accessory adapter cable (so I can use it in the future), but I'm soooo happy with the traffic tranceiver, super fast warnings of traffic issues, and easy/fast to re-route if I chose to.

Jeep Gladiator Thoughts on Garmin Overlander? almost-ther
Damn you got a lot of cool stuff packed in there!

Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
Thanks! Here's a newer pic, this includes my Garmin InReach Explorer+ on a JeepUniq double mount that holds my GMRS mic too. I'm waiting for my RAM Mounts Quick-Grip to arrive, to mount my iPhone on the grab handle ball.

Jeep Gladiator Thoughts on Garmin Overlander? IMG_5490

cjellan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Executive
Still learning how to use all the features of the Overlander, but really liking it. It is one reason I did not spring $1800 extra for the 8.4" radio.

Now I have a Garmin BC-35 backup camera configured as a forward-looking trailcam. I wired the camera to one of my Aux. switches. A neat thing about the Overlander, is that once set up, I do not have to actually select the camera from the Overlander touch screen. All I have to do is hit the Aux. switch, and the Overlander switches from whatever screen it is on to the camera. Simplifies things.
This is a super clever setup (BC with Overlander) that I’m going to try in my JTR. Did you use any videos or take any pics of your work? Would love to reference something while I’m doing this, but couldn’t find anything useful.
Sponsored