Sponsored

Tire size change - can’t get at programming cables.

Mojave2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
I’ve got a Mojave where the computer gets in the way of your fingers to pull out the cables. Any suggestions/tools to use? I removed the panel under the steering column but no luck.

I was trying to make the change with the JScan app. My Speedo looks to be about 2mph slower at 50 mph vs my GPS speedo app. I added 35” Nitto Ridge Grapplers (looks like actually 33.75”
from my measurements) after previously having the 33” Falken M/T.

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
Interested in this as well. When my speedo says 65 my gps says 73 and my dash mpg is not nearly we all as it should be. Fat fingers can’t get up there.

Dickster

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator rubicon, 2022 Ram 3500 6.7L
Occupation
Sheet metal
No matter how tall your tire sits you need to measure the circumstance and use that measurement. Circumstance ÷ pi (3.14159)

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
No matter how tall your tire sits you need to measure the circumstance and use that measurement. Circumstance ÷ pi (3.14159)
Why not just measure the diameter? Seems over complicated measuring diameter and dividing by pi when it's easier to just measure the diameter under load.

OP
OP
Mojave2021

Mojave2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Looking for guidance on pulling out the connectors. The tire size measurement was the easy part😀.

Sponsored

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
Do you have some long pliers? If you can pinch the release tab on the connectors, you could gently pull down on the wires themselves and use the pliers to assist.

Unfortunately, If you have trouble getting them out, you'll likely never be able to get them back in. If you ever go to the dealer for service, their OBD dongle has to see the security GW or their computer can't read the vehicle data.

Invest in the extension cables so you never have to worry about it again.

Dickster

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sheet metal
Why not just measure the diameter? Seems over complicated measuring diameter and dividing by pi when it's easier to just measure the diameter under load.

Well seeing how your speedo works on circumstances not diameter why not? Jscan and tazer already have it calculated out for you to make it easy but if you enter the wrong info it will be wrong. Alfaobd will run off millimeters of the circumstance.

Dickster

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sheet metal

Also just because it says 35in tire doesn't mean it is. some will measure 34.7in or 35.125in and so on.

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
Well seeing how your speedo works on circumstances not diameter why not? Jscan and tazer already have it calculated out for you to make it easy but if you enter the wrong info it will be wrong. Alfaobd will run off millimeters of the circumstance.
If you're entering the info via a program that uses diameter I'm pretty sure you're increasing the odds of entering the wrong info by measuring circumference and converting that to diameter though? One is a measurement which is also easier to do (can't wrap a treasure around the tire when it's on the ground) and is ready to be entered and the other is a related measurement plus math increasing error potential. Technically your speedo works off of wheel rotations 1st and then factors in the diameter, but I'm not reverse engineering that algorithm either.

OP
OP
Mojave2021

Mojave2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Do you have some long pliers? If you can pinch the release tab on the connectors, you could gently pull down on the wires themselves and use the pliers to assist.

Unfortunately, If you have trouble getting them out, you'll likely never be able to get them back in. If you ever go to the dealer for service, their OBD dongle has to see the security GW or their computer can't read the vehicle data.

Invest in the extension cables so you never have to worry about it again.
Tried all of the pliers I own - not able to squeeze them in there. Looks like I may have to see if my dealer can give me a deal on changing it.

Sponsored

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
I didn't have an issue that I can recall. Sometimes it feels natural to pull and squeeze at the same time. That doesn't allow the tab to release. Try pushing in and hold that pressure while you squeeze the tab, then pull.

Sw00per

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mojave
Looking for guidance on pulling out the connectors. The tire size measurement was the easy part😀.
I had the same problem. That support bar and my bad shoulder, torn rotator cuff... made it really hard so I asked my son to reach up there and damn he did it with ease!

Maybe just ask someone for help and let them know what to do.

Best of luck!

Reddout99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2021 80th Anniversary JT Sport S
Occupation
Cad Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I've done it twice, once for the 35s, then a few months later for the 37s.
It is tight up there. After pulling that panel out, I just reach for the one that is furthest outboard. I am able to push the retainer tab in while pulling on the cables. It comes out, but finicky for sure, Then I do the inner one.
When I put them back in, I align the bottom of the plug with the opening and tip up and in. First time, I left a little skin up there. the second time was better AND faster. I just had to stick with it - it became a challenge between me and those danged connectors, LOL

I did consider buying that extension cable apparatus if I had as much problem the second time, but it went OK.
Hope this helps

Dickster

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sheet metal
That's why you measure the diameter though...
Tire crown or not a direct straight across measurement. I was specifying the best way, Not necessarily the simplest way. Slight angle over 35in could change your measurement 1/4in to 3/4in.
Sponsored