Sponsored

Titanium Lug Nuts... Worth their weight in gold?

JsnJcksn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
So in my effort to cut weight at every possible mod, I'm looking into Ti nuts! They are less than half the weight of OEM nuts, and look cool as a bonus.

I know they're not cheap. I know I won't "feel the difference." I know plenty of people don't care about this topic.

What do you guys think?

Looks like 5 OEM lugs would be .88 lbs. Titanium, .43 lbs, less than half the weight!

Yes there are cheaper things to spend money on, or better places to save weight, but I just like knowing each part is exactly what I want. I'm OCD and picky and dumb like that.

Looking at these:
https://www.bonoss.com/product/bono...eep-wrangler-jl-gladiator-grand-cherokee-2013

or these:
https://solisracinggroup.com/jeep-dodge-performance-parts/open-ended-lug-nuts-titanium/

Also I'd imagine that the Ti nuts would look better after a year of use, on and off the Jeep, than say my Teraflex nuts, or OEM, or Gorilla. I've had them all, and NONE (save for maybe OEM) look great after even 6 months.
I knew they would not be cheap, but wow! šŸ’°

tastetickles

First Name
Yik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JT
Occupation
IT guy
Take this with a grain of salt, I have never used them on a real car but titanium bolts that Iā€™ve used before on radio control cars while stronger are more brittle. So if anyone use an impact on it, it will probably shatter easier than steel lugs.

OP
OP
RacerAV

RacerAV

First Name
Adamo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Jeep Lover
What if you take a nail clipper to the chicken strips on the sidewall? And leave off the valve stem caps?
Titanium valve capsā€¦ šŸ˜®

OP
OP
RacerAV

RacerAV

First Name
Adamo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Jeep Lover
Take this with a grain of salt, I have never used them on a real car but titanium bolts that Iā€™ve used before on radio control cars while stronger are more brittle. So if anyone use an impact on it, it will probably shatter easier than steel lugs.
Didnā€™t think of the impact and impact would have on Titanium lugsā€¦ more research. Lol. Deeeeep down the rabbit hole.

Sponsored

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Yeah, for my definition of "quarter mile" - he'd get 10 demerits for using 'quarter mile' and 'Jeep' in the same thought.
How about a fiberglass bodied CJ5 with a mildly built AMC360 that would lift a front tire when stomped on doing anything under 15mph.
Would that fit your definition?šŸ˜Ž

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Question for all: if the price was the same on quality steel lug nuts or Ti lug nuts, what would you choose and why?

what if it was 10% more for Ti? Still same answer? Whatā€™s your price cut off?
Iā€™d do it if it were 20% more expensive.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Didnā€™t think of the impact and impact would have on Titanium lugsā€¦ more research. Lol. Deeeeep down the rabbit hole.
No one is allowed near my lugs but me. Manual torque wrench only. :)

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Dude! Totally go for it!

I love the ideaā€”gotta save weight.

Iā€™ve got a guy in Manchester Township, NJ who fills all four tires (plus my spare) with hydrogenā€”thatā€™s a 14x weight savings vs that atmospheric gutter gas weā€™ve all been pumping quarters for our whole lives.

I also weighed all the seatsā€”with the crazy sliding adjustment gizmos, heating coils, and various materials, those things add some serious lbs. You know what space-age automotive material doesnā€™t tip the scales? You got it, WICKER!

I swapped both front seats with a set of 1970ā€™s Bohemian Peacock chairs, and the rear bench is now a rattan wicker-weave papasan circle chair.

Now, the drag racing purists down at the quarter-mile will argue the benefits of rattan vs willow, while the up-and-comers will try to sell you on sea grass or raffia. Me? I started off leaning toward synthetic, but after a few dyno runs, I now swear by Bar Harbor style 1900ā€™s antique armless, and nothing else. NOT A GOD DAMN THING ELSE.

I mean, I also did the gas tank delete kit, which really saves a ton of weightā€”itā€™s like a Jeep truck stomach staple.

I always run without the doors, top, bed, exhaust, body panels, and I jettison the battery after startup. No special weight-adding hardware for thatā€”I just donā€™t bolt down the battery and leave a 50ā€™ rope tied to it from my driveway. Once I round the corner, that puppy pops like a popcorn kernel in a kettle.

Iā€™d share more of my weight saving tips, but thereā€™s a storm coming and I need to Thompsonā€™s water seal my driverā€™s seat.

BUY. THOSE. NUTS.

Sponsored

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
Adding lightness is what I call vacuuming out the car and getting rid of the loose change in the cup holder.

But you do you, King.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Dude! Totally go for it!

I love the ideaā€”gotta save weight.

Iā€™ve got a guy in Manchester Township, NJ who fills all four tires (plus my spare) with hydrogenā€”thatā€™s a 14x weight savings vs that atmospheric gutter gas weā€™ve all been pumping quarters for our whole lives.

I also weighed all the seatsā€”with the crazy sliding adjustment gizmos, heating coils, and various materials, those things add some serious lbs. You know what space-age automotive material doesnā€™t tip the scales? You got it, WICKER!

I swapped both front seats with a set of 1970ā€™s Bohemian Peacock chairs, and the rear bench is now a rattan wicker-weave papasan circle chair.

Now, the drag racing purists down at the quarter-mile will argue the benefits of rattan vs willow, while the up-and-comers will try to sell you on sea grass or raffia. Me? I started off leaning toward synthetic, but after a few dyno runs, I now swear by Bar Harbor style 1900ā€™s antique armless, and nothing else. NOT A GOD DAMN THING ELSE.

I mean, I also did the gas tank delete kit, which really saves a ton of weightā€”itā€™s like a Jeep truck stomach staple.

I always run without the doors, top, bed, exhaust, body panels, and I jettison the battery after startup. No special weight-adding hardware for thatā€”I just donā€™t bolt down the battery and leave a 50ā€™ rope tied to it from my driveway. Once I round the corner, that puppy pops like a popcorn kernel in a kettle.

Iā€™d share more of my weight saving tips, but thereā€™s a storm coming and I need to Thompsonā€™s water seal my driverā€™s seat.

BUY. THOSE. NUTS.
I like you. You seem smart.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Check out some of the cars running the quarter mile strips on weekends - heater delete, radio delete, windshield wiper delete, seats, carpet - removed............. it's about weight. HP moves a given mass a given distance in xx time. You can remove weight and it's like the next guy adding HP.
I hate to even mention this as I know it's not something usually mentioned in Jeep circles - but that Jeep may just drop quarter mile times from 16.5 down to 16.499999999999

No one is allowed near my lugs but me. Manual torque wrench only. :)
Break them loose with a bar, spin them off with impact in spin mode, do whatever, then run them back on with impact in spin mode, tighten with bar, then torque.