OP
OP
Student12

Student12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I wouldn't regear for 33's unless you are planning on carrying more weight (bumpers, winch, etc). I went from 32's to 35's and still haven't done it but will in the near future.
Yeah not planning on adding anymore weight after the wheels

Panthers65

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
Not worth it to jump just 1 step (3.73 to 4.10, or 4.10 to 4.56, ect..). It's too small of a change to feel. If you are going to regear, with 33's, I'd go 4.56.

What are your driving styles? Spend a lot of time on the interstate? Mostly local/back roads. Towing heavy loads? Mostly offroad driving?

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I was in a similar situation with 33's on my Willys with 3.73 gears. Having owned a Rubicon with 4.10's and the same tire size I noticed the difference but having drove my Willys for awhile now and no immediate plans to go any higher in tire size, the 3.73 gears are doing fine for now.

I did briefly have 35's on my Willys and it was a dog. Stayed in 6th gear 90% of time on highway.

Last edited:

Newlife

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep gladiator rubicon
Mine must be a heavy turd. I have 300lbs in bed rack and rtt and then 80lbs in winch. Outside of that just little piddly lights and best I’ve gotten was 16.2 on a fresh fill (accidentally Hit premium….. cried a little when it took almost 90.00to fill up) while running 37’s until I can get into the shop to regear

Fastwake

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So your in 7th gear a little more often. There is only 375 RPM difference between 7th and 8th gear so save your $$ and just run it.

OP
OP
Student12

Student12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Not worth it to jump just 1 step (3.73 to 4.10, or 4.10 to 4.56, ect..). It's too small of a change to feel. If you are going to regear, with 33's, I'd go 4.56.

What are your driving styles? Spend a lot of time on the interstate? Mostly local/back roads. Towing heavy loads? Mostly offroad driving?
More time on the interstate not towing, might hit a back road for a job.

If I re-gear to 4.56, will that improve my gas milage ?

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ

That's going to depend on your speed, driving style, etc. I went from the factory 31.5" to 34.5" (315 KO2s) on 4.10 gears and get worse mileage in stop and go, better in anything sustained over 55 up to about 77-78mph where it tanks. It's about finding the ratios that give you the right power where you need it at the lowest RPMs.

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed a hard tonneau cover (70 lbs) and I'm looking to add on 33's to the Sport S, from the factory I got 3.73 gears but I'm noticing that I may need to re-gear to 4.10 to avoid transmission problems.

I heard that it's pricey, Do I even need to re-gear ?

Based off those simple changes only, I'd say no. That 70 lb tonneau and 33s arent gonna make that big a difference. Im running 3.73s on my Overland and have a '140lb (give or take) Diamondback cover and 35 equivelents and don't see issues. Only reason I'd ever regear is if I end up going with 37's or larger. Just my 2 cents

Panthers65

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager

In light of that, I wouldn't regear IMO. Milage won't improve with interstate driving, it might actually drop a bit. You'll have more power, but you'll be running higher RPMs on the interstate.

If you are planning on regularly towing, driving mostly city back roads, ect....You would see a benefit to regearing. Mostly interstate driving IMO your money would be better spend elsewhere.

OP
OP
Student12

Student12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
In light of that, I wouldn't regear IMO. Milage won't improve with interstate driving, it might actually drop a bit. You'll have more power, but you'll be running higher RPMs on the interstate.

If you are planning on regularly towing, driving mostly city back roads, ect....You would see a benefit to regearing. Mostly interstate driving IMO your money would be better spend elsewhere.
Okay. So if I'm primarily in the city (stop & go), then I'll see improvement on gas mileage ?

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Okay. So if I'm primarily in the city (stop & go), then I'll see improvement on gas mileage ?
Hard saying, but likely no change for city MPG. It mostly depends on your driving habits. Maybe you regear and now you can't keep your foot out of it.

Typically you do not regear for MPG, so it's not usually a factor in the decision.
Sponsored