Sponsored

Torsen/TrueTrac helical limited slip differential?

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Bringing this back up. Eaton announced truetrac for 2011-current ram. I've bugged them twice, maybe we can keep them on MOPAR and get a push for the gladiator. Wishful thinking but hoping we can get their attention.
Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Now that the Bronco and (presumably) 2023 Ranger will also use the M220 rear axle, maybe we’ll finally get one.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
Question, if they make a LSD for the Gladiator, would the traction control have to be disabled since I would think the mechanical LSD and the ETC would fight each other with the traction applying brake to the wheel that the LSD was locking.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Question, if they make a LSD for the Gladiator, would the traction control have to be disabled since I would think the mechanical LSD and the ETC would fight each other with the traction applying brake to the wheel that the LSD was locking.
No VDC and TC work totally fine with an open diff, lsd and even locker. Helical gear LSDs are amazing with brake based, simulated LSD function, such as what comes on the JL and JT. Far less brake force is required with the Truetrac,

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
No VDC and TC work totally fine with an open diff, lsd and even locker. Helical gear LSDs are amazing with brake based, simulated LSD function, such as what comes on the JL and JT. Far less brake force is required with the Truetrac,
Agreed! The Truetrac gets aggressive with a little braked traction control......

Now if we can just get Eaton to build us one!

Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Agreed! The Truetrac gets aggressive with a little braked traction control......

Now if we can just get Eaton to build us one!
Until now, there just weren’t enough non-Rubicon (locked) M220 axles. Keep telling them (directly) and your retailer that you want one.

MarcusB

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
I would totally install a Truetrac on the front of my Mojave if they made one! I keep checking.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Until now, there just weren’t enough non-Rubicon (locked) M220 axles. Keep telling them (directly) and your retailer that you want one.
That really hasn't changed... The D44 Bronco is the Squatch package so it's still just the Titan and JT.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
That really hasn't changed... The D44 Bronco is the Squatch package so it's still just the Titan and JT.
Nope. According to their literature, Broncos use the same rear axle, just different diffs and gears. Also, Diesel and 4xe JLs use the M220. The Titan uses the M226, IIRC. The Ranger and Frontier may use them as well.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Nope. According to their literature, Broncos use the same rear axle, just different diffs and gears. Also, Diesel and 4xe JLs use the M220. The Titan uses the M226, IIRC. The Ranger and Frontier may use them as well.
Just looked up the official sheet and I'm glad they changed that... still would have been nice to see the M210 front across the line though.

Sponsored

OP
OP

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
I continue to hope that a helical diff will eventually become available. Nitro Gear & Axle supports some other d44 variants so maybe they could also be encouraged to bring something out. I know less about their quality and track record than Eaton, although for all I know, Eaton may have theirs made offshore anyways by now.
https://www.nitro-gear.com/category-s/1796.htm

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Username checks out:rock:

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Just looked up the official sheet and I'm glad they changed that... still would have been nice to see the M210 front across the line though.
I think take rate should be pretty high, so salvage units should be a viable swap for lesser Broncos and next-gen Rangers.

rolape2

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 XLT FX4 (wifes); 2020 Jeep Gator Gladiator, Sport S, Max tow; 1988 Suzuki Samurai; 1994 BMW 325i Cabrio; 2004 Coachman Aurora Motorhome.
I even toyed with the idea of using a Truetrac for the Titan and a set of gears. Should fit the housing and be stronger. Problem is the pinion has a different spline count. You could possibly use the titan yoke and then get a custom driveshaft. But at that point the cost would start getting carried away,,,, and the wife would probably kick me out.

Sturm451

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I asked Eaton about it. Their response:
"Thank you for your interest in this differential application. However, at this time there are no current public plans to develop this application.

Thanks,
-Eaton Performance Support"

Public being the operative word. I feel like if they weren't interested in making them eventually, they would have just said they have no plans. It's probably worthwhile to continue harassing Eaton about it.
I asked Torsen as well as Eaton and actually got a quick response from Torsen Traction’s Rick Barnes.

He said “We do not offer anything for the Gladiator at this time, but we anticipate introducing something later this year.”

That’s gives me hope that there will be one on the market in time for when the clutch packs on my trac-loc need replacing.
Sponsored