Sponsored

Torsen/TrueTrac helical limited slip differential?

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Well, I'm glad i chose to regear this summer instead of waiting. This is still progress in the right direction.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Part number is not in any of my supplier's systems yet. Might be a long wait on the slow boat from Taiwan. :(
As long as I know it's coming, I'll wait. The plan moved from dual locked ARB to OX and then Eaton but now that the TrueTrac is on the menu, that makes the perfect truck setup with one out back and an e-locker up front.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
As long as I know it's coming, I'll wait. The plan moved from dual locked ARB to OX and then Eaton but now that the TrueTrac is on the menu, that makes the perfect truck setup with one out back and an e-locker up front.
My main supplier of Eaton products told me earlier this year that they are preordering stock 6+ months in advance to minimize the chances of running out of stock. I just spoke with them and now that part is on the radar for them to order.

Sponsored

OP
OP

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
_VERY_ cool! thank you for sharing the intel...

I'll be very interested when anyone is able to find out price and approximate ETA. I likely won't be able to buy right away, but want to start planning...

OP
OP

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My main supplier of Eaton products told me earlier this year that they are preordering stock 6+ months in advance to minimize the chances of running out of stock. I just spoke with them and now that part is on the radar for them to order.
Is anyone able to tell, or find out, if this newly-available Eaton TrueTrac is limited to certain gear ratios? I recall seeing other TrueTracs, and other aftermarket diffs, that have specs that say something like "fits only X.XX axle ratios [and up/down]" I'm in 3.73 land and hope that it can work with 3.73. I know I could re-gear but "project creep" is bad enough with many other things I am working on...

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The M210 and M220 axles all use the same deck spacing for all gear ratios. One part fits them all unlike the OG Dana's that that had 3 to 4 different deck heights.

The Dana 70s were a mess at times with 1/2 and 5/8 ring gear spacing too!

I'm getting kinda sick of learning what the manufacturers change stuff to every darn year, but at least these Jeep axles aren't too bad. Time to retire.......

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Back in the day, trueteacs were warranties for tires up to 33”.

Has that changed? Something to think/confirm before going that route.

OP
OP

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The M210 and M220 axles all use the same deck spacing for all gear ratios. One part fits them all unlike the OG Dana's that that had 3 to 4 different deck heights.
Thank you! Great to know

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Doesn't the Raptor have a TrueTrac option? 35's from the factory.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter

Pretty sure they say 38s now, but I can’t find it in Eaton’s documents anywhere.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Yes, I remember the 33" warranty limitation back in the day, but the warranty wording no longer calls tire size out......."1 year under normal operating conditions". That kind of vague and 37s aren't normal, so blanket statement?

I can tell you that in 29 years of selling/installing them, only 2 warranty incidents on the old design GM 12 bolt truck before they went to the billet design.

One truck had 32s, 383 stroker, and a 4 speed. The owner was towing a 25k gooseneck and dropped the clutch. The other was a tweak, 35s, 4spd, and tires showed obvious signs of abuse. Tractech (The previous manufacturer before Eaton)warrantied both units without issue.

I will be installing a 12 bolt unit (new design)for the first time since these old design units failed 15 years ago in a truck 2 weeks from now.

khockey02

First Name
Kalem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I’m excited for this and following closely now. I’d definitely prefer a torsen for the rear axle even if just for better control on icey roads, but the front axle is less clear. Does anyone have advice looking at torsen/open/selectable locker for the front axle.

OP
OP

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m excited for this and following closely now. I’d definitely prefer a torsen for the rear axle even if just for better control on icey roads, but the front axle is less clear. Does anyone have advice looking at torsen/open/selectable locker for the front axle.
Same. Had a helical diff in one truck and the extent to which it gave reliable instantaneous traction in a variety of slippery sloppy conditions was truly remarkable. For me a TrueTrac in the back, to have surefooted 2wd on fast-changing on-road conditions in bad winter weather and the ability to engage 4wd in deep snow would (hopefully: will!) be a total win, in terms of what I am looking for.
Sponsored