First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
They said they flashed it after updating the info in the VIN - I believe it as my MPG had basically started all over again so it cleared a few things out.
Oh crap, I missed that. They flashed my vehicle for the recall last week. This weekend running highway speeds, I was back up to 20MPG. I should have noticed. Thanks for the reminder, evidently vehicle learning had taken me down a bad MPG hole.
Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Not having the Passive Entry attached to my VIN bit me in the butt. Recently during a warranty service, the dealer succeeded in breaking the connector on the door harness (long story.) Even though the buttons on the door handle are clearly visible, they grabbed a new harness from stock based on the VIN, and ripped the door apart. Guess what? The new harness wasn’t the same! Turns out they had to order the correct harness.
The good news is they covered it under warranty anyway, since they broke the connector.

Kevin

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
Welcome back!

I just got home from dropping my Overland at the dealer. I installed 35's this week, and I asked them to reprogram the Jeep accordingly. I expected it to cost something, but didn't expect it to be $300! $150 for some card from Mopar, and an additional $150 for labor... I realize I can use JSCAN or Tazer, but I have a 75,000 mile factory warranty I don't want Chrysler to deny.

Would this be a good opportunity to ask the dealer to program auto high beams? I have adaptive cruise and all of that, so it should only be a software change. Is there anything else I should be asking for while they reach out to Mother Mopar? Maybe the horn feature when adding air to tires?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Hydro-Blue Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Jedi
I finally got a break from the endless days and evenings of work, construction, restorations and just plain CRAZINESS. The break won't last as I have a car to put back together for a show in 3 weeks and there's that much work to do on it, and then the big show in Colorado Springs first part of June, and I have several restorations to finish and send out so people have them to put back on their cars before the big meet out there.

Anyway, I took the truck to the dealer shop for a simple list. I told them I expected there may be charges for at least 2 of the items, I didn't care, just do it and let me know how much when done.
Most of the list was warranty or the wave oil change, rotation, etc.

oil change,
tire rotation,
POM rivet wouldn't stay put in the right rear splash guard (that I had installed - something goofy going on)
interior trim left and right of the rear glass was coming loose - the velcro tabs were coming off the top, adhesive had let loose. Told 'em to just glue or use 3M tape, I didn't care as I was too busy to mess with it myself like I usually would,
add sales code for passive entry to VIN so that it would be there any time they flashed the thing in the future,
I told them I also added the auto-high beam option to it, and explained how it wasn't available in the package when I bought the truck but the following month it was, explained I wasn't sure if they could do anything about that or not, but please check,
then I explained that when they replaced the steering gear under the TSB last year it wasn't aligned - and that alignment had been added to the latest TSB (January of this year) - but ALSO -
the steering was better after they did the gear replacement, but it gradually got worse, then suddenly this year it was as bad as ever, wandering, not pulling, but it would tend right, I'd compensate, then it would tend left, and I'd counter, then it would wander right, and every time I tried to compensate, it would change its mind.
I asked them to please check it, it acted like there was negative or no caster, steering felt "loose".

I dropped it off with the list on Monday 7am
They called me that after noon saying "we're needing to replace the steering gear, they had to order it, could they keep the truck overnight". Absolutely.
Tuesday they said the gear came in but was too late to do the alignment, could they keep it again and they'd finish it up Wednesday AM (today). Sure, fine, I have another Jeep and my cars (one of them being in 1,000 parts swapping door hinges - must strip dash to do that)
I went to pick it up today, expecting a bill for the splash guard (since I installed them, they were not dealer or factory installed) and for them calling mother MOPAR to get the passive entry added and flashing things to sync it all up.
Nope - no charge for anything and they ordered new trim for next to the rear glass (huh? Only the adhesive on the velcro pads came loose, but they ordered the whole shooting match)
They said that because I had asked another dealer for passive entry, they missed it, the truck came without and I added it - they'd take care of that as a mistake in ordering and cover it. I told them - but I didn't even buy it at your store! No problem, no charge.
Did they REALLY contact MOPAR and get it added? I have no way of knowing - until the next update to things and it gets flashed again.

But - the steering is definitely better. This time I could actually feel it as I left the parking spot they had it in. It turned just a bit harder and sitting at a light, messing with the wheel, if I moved it even a tiny amount I could feel the tires respond. So the first replacement must not have been quite right from day one. That one was better on the road at first, but I didn't have the golly, gee, this is great instant impact driving out of the lot that others said they noticed. This time I did.
Great to see a post from you again!!

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I finally got a break from the endless days and evenings of work, construction, restorations and just plain CRAZINESS. The break won't last as I have a car to put back together for a show in 3 weeks and there's that much work to do on it, and then the big show in Colorado Springs first part of June, and I have several restorations to finish and send out so people have them to put back on their cars before the big meet out there.

Anyway, I took the truck to the dealer shop for a simple list. I told them I expected there may be charges for at least 2 of the items, I didn't care, just do it and let me know how much when done.
Most of the list was warranty or the wave oil change, rotation, etc.

oil change,
tire rotation,
POM rivet wouldn't stay put in the right rear splash guard (that I had installed - something goofy going on)
interior trim left and right of the rear glass was coming loose - the velcro tabs were coming off the top, adhesive had let loose. Told 'em to just glue or use 3M tape, I didn't care as I was too busy to mess with it myself like I usually would,
add sales code for passive entry to VIN so that it would be there any time they flashed the thing in the future,
I told them I also added the auto-high beam option to it, and explained how it wasn't available in the package when I bought the truck but the following month it was, explained I wasn't sure if they could do anything about that or not, but please check,
then I explained that when they replaced the steering gear under the TSB last year it wasn't aligned - and that alignment had been added to the latest TSB (January of this year) - but ALSO -
the steering was better after they did the gear replacement, but it gradually got worse, then suddenly this year it was as bad as ever, wandering, not pulling, but it would tend right, I'd compensate, then it would tend left, and I'd counter, then it would wander right, and every time I tried to compensate, it would change its mind.
I asked them to please check it, it acted like there was negative or no caster, steering felt "loose".

I dropped it off with the list on Monday 7am
They called me that after noon saying "we're needing to replace the steering gear, they had to order it, could they keep the truck overnight". Absolutely.
Tuesday they said the gear came in but was too late to do the alignment, could they keep it again and they'd finish it up Wednesday AM (today). Sure, fine, I have another Jeep and my cars (one of them being in 1,000 parts swapping door hinges - must strip dash to do that)
I went to pick it up today, expecting a bill for the splash guard (since I installed them, they were not dealer or factory installed) and for them calling mother MOPAR to get the passive entry added and flashing things to sync it all up.
Nope - no charge for anything and they ordered new trim for next to the rear glass (huh? Only the adhesive on the velcro pads came loose, but they ordered the whole shooting match)
They said that because I had asked another dealer for passive entry, they missed it, the truck came without and I added it - they'd take care of that as a mistake in ordering and cover it. I told them - but I didn't even buy it at your store! No problem, no charge.
Did they REALLY contact MOPAR and get it added? I have no way of knowing - until the next update to things and it gets flashed again.

But - the steering is definitely better. This time I could actually feel it as I left the parking spot they had it in. It turned just a bit harder and sitting at a light, messing with the wheel, if I moved it even a tiny amount I could feel the tires respond. So the first replacement must not have been quite right from day one. That one was better on the road at first, but I didn't have the golly, gee, this is great instant impact driving out of the lot that others said they noticed. This time I did.
Good to hear from you again. Been forever!!!!!!!

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome back!

I just got home from dropping my Overland at the dealer. I installed 35's this week, and I asked them to reprogram the Jeep accordingly. I expected it to cost something, but didn't expect it to be $300! $150 for some card from Mopar, and an additional $150 for labor... I realize I can use JSCAN or Tazer, but I have a 75,000 mile factory warranty I don't want Chrysler to deny.

Would this be a good opportunity to ask the dealer to program auto high beams? I have adaptive cruise and all of that, so it should only be a software change. Is there anything else I should be asking for while they reach out to Mother Mopar?
I know there are at least a couple of service bulletins that talk about programming for tire size, etc. I have not read those in full, just noted they exist as "dealer communications".

I did the auto high beam programming as well as the passive entry installation and programming.
Since the auto high beam is actually a part of a larger package starting about December 2019, I don't know how that all works - it wasn't even an option when my truck was built in November 2019, I have the package that LATER included it, but that package did not include it in November. I'd love to know how that was handled because technically it didn't exist as an option or part of a package in November. If my same exact truck was built in December, it would have been there.
The passive entry was an option for my truck, we told the sales guy we wanted it as my wife had it on two Grand Cherokees and we loved it - we told him twice, he said he got it - but he didn't. That was indeed an option when I ordered, I added the parts, so it was a simple thing to change the VIN to reflect that my truck did have that option. Well, simple for them.

Here are my notes from last fall when I added the passive entry -
------------------
go to dealer and have them add sales code GXD and program vehicle
The dealers have to call either their technical advisor or their area manager in order for the code to be added from Chrysler. After that, once it's added in Chrysler's system they flash the truck with the new flash including that option.
-------------------

I can't predict how any other dealer would react. Last fall when I asked they said "there may be a charge - generally it's a minimum of 50, could be 100, for things like that"

This dealership seems to know me now and with my history of working with them on things.
I worked with them in great detail on the brake controller issue, giving them some pretty exacting information, showing them diagrams, numbers, etc. and later I presented them with a very detailed printout of the codes stored in my wife's Grand Cherokee last fall. The service writer read it and grabbed a couple of other guys and they actually went into a huddle and read it - coming back and asking "how did you get this??"
So I've sort of built a relationship with a couple of them there - at least to the point they expect if I say there's something up, they believe it and look where I ask them to look.
(but that Grand Cherokee thing - that was WEIRD - it was the spark plugs, only about 1,000 miles or so on it. )

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
@ShadowsPapa You know we literally had a thread up about you because you were gone right? lol. Welcome back man, good to see you've come up for air and all is good.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Would this be a good opportunity to ask the dealer to program auto high beams? I have adaptive cruise and all of that, so it should only be a software change. Is there anything else I should be asking for while they reach out to Mother Mopar? Maybe the horn feature when adding air to tires?
Well, I guess I need to back up one step. I just went out and got into settings, lights, and checked out the auto high beam and it's gone. Apparently they can NOT add a feature to your VIN that is not part of the equipment that was available at the time it was ordered and built.

I did order and get that advance safety group package in November, however, in November the auto high beam was NOT part of the advance safety group package. In November there's no menu item in the radio settings.
In December, it was made part of that package and the option is there in the radio [Lights] heading.
Mine is gone again from the menu.

So I'll just have to keep the instructions I typed up with the truck and any time they do a major flash, add it back in again.

They did flash the truck and apparently only tested the passive entry - that's there and just fine.
So - I guess I'd summarize - you can add certain things even if it's not there already, but if it wasn't a valid option as of your build date and if it's part of a PACKAGE, they can't add it.
Passive entry is a distinct, independent option you could order.
Auto dim high beams was never an independent, distinct option - it's only part of a greater package.

Anywho, that's my take and results. So I take my tablet back out, plug in my adapter and re-enter the settings.
1 out of 2 ain't bad, I guess.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
My new favorite thread. Apparently, he is neither bot nor dead. And, also, Apparently he still has lots to say on any variety of subject. Welcome back!

sandifer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator (Mojave)
Occupation
retired from IT business
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, guys - going crazy now trying to keep up with shop work. Tomorrow back out for a couple of rush jobs that must be done this week - for show cars that you'll see in Colorado Springs in June.
What's the June car show in Colorado Springs you are talking about?....I live there and would like to check it out..