First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Occupation
Mechanical Design Engineer
Did the Airbag deploy. I've heard if that happens it's an automatic TOTAL.
No airbags deployed. The appraiser was confused about how the side air bags didn’t deploy considering it was on its side. I just said, “it’s a Jeep thing, you wouldn’t understand.”

Sprinkler-Fitter

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Installed fire sprinklers (retired)
Be glad the drop was not like this.

E75A11C0-589B-4536-8ACC-90FD32EF6970.jpeg
Very clearly not what I said at all. That drop off the OP sent a picture of is very steep and narrow. Bridges typically have guardrails, even though people SHOULD be able to stay on top of it. Shit happens. If OP was on a public bridge and drove off the side because guardrails weren’t present, I would still call that bridge negligently built or maintained, even if I also thought they should have been able to stay on it. In a world ran by accountants and lawyers, you have to translate risk to $$$s. The best way to do that is a lawsuit.

In my case a stop sign was positioned at the very end of the oncoming merger ramp, effective for the merging ramp. The ramp is on a divided highway, no other signs or markers to indicate the upcoming stop sign. Said sign was also 80%+ covered, and was also on the left side and bent outward, almost part well with the ramp. Not a normal sign. Even more so, after driving that commute for over a year now, is never enforced and I have seen multiple trucks rear ending civilian cars, because no one expects a stop sign to be there and the trucks speed (also not enforced). They have finally began extending the merger lane appropriately and will be eliminating the stop sign completely. Total project is about $250k. And last years fiscal report for the county bragged about the 6th year in a row with over $2MM in the road budget surplus.

I stand by my comment about the government being negligent.
Who’s fault if you go off the edge in the above picture?

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Who’s fault if you go off the edge in the above picture?
It is the vehicle operators fault. It is up to the operator to drive at a safe speed and in a safe manner to stay on the road. The road conditions are not relevant. If the lane is narrow, they need to pay attention and go slower. If it is wet, they need to pay attention and go slower. If it is dark, they need to pay attention and go slower.

The US has become a nanny state by putting up guardrails everywhere and taking away personal responsibility. Go to Europe and experience life without safety features everywhere. They warn you once, the next move is on you.

Sponsored

Sprinkler-Fitter

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Installed fire sprinklers (retired)
It is the vehicle operators fault. It is up to the operator to drive at a safe speed and in a safe manner to stay on the road. The road conditions are not relevant. If the lane is narrow, they need to pay attention and go slower. If it is wet, they need to pay attention and go slower. If it is dark, they need to pay attention and go slower.

The US has become a nanny state by putting up guardrails everywhere and taking away personal responsibility. Go to Europe and experience life without safety features everywhere. They warn you once, the next move is on you.
I no that but some here think you should sue someone if you get in an accident and blame the road.

Guntar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK RHD (wife's mail vehicle) 2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
N/a
There are laws about how roads are to be built. If those laws are followed, Great. If not they need to be enforced and or changed. If you think for a minute they won't enforce the laws concerning you, you are wrong. Its not about suing its about enforcement.
We all pay taxes for this or that. Suing is a perfectly acceptable means of enforcing the federal/state/county/city/town/etc laws. In fact, its the only way a normal person can enforce the law on a public entity. They have criminal and civil laws to enforce on us.
There is nothing wrong with law enforcement at any level.
If you don't like the laws, move, or get them changed, removed from the books.

Sponsored

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
You guys are correct. Stay on the road and all is good. I'm not a big lawyer fan. However, there are young, inexperienced drivers out there that may not make a good choice when the time comes. There are codes in most Counties and States that determine road width and edging drop off. For those who think getting a lawyer involved is considered being an ambulance chaser, you missed the point. No improvements would ever get made if it wasn't for safety.

If your child swerved to miss a deer or another vehicle in their lane, it would be a total shame, if they got injured or killed. But, to some, he drove off the road and then it rolled over, their fault. It's not a collect a check event, it's let's save the next person. Lawyers facilitate that process.

Koolcarguy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro blue Jt 2012 Gecko green Jk 2021 Gecko
Occupation
Car dealer
Yes, the poll is just for fun!

I was hoping I might find a person or two that might have advice dealing with insurance on less “obvious” mechanical issues. We’ll see, might not even need to go down that road.
I owned a bodyshop for years the very first thing is check and measure frame for damage. From the pictures it looks to be repairable . Just when dealing with the insurance make sure if they don't total it that you get paid for diminished value because the wreck will show up on a car fax or auto check and hurt the value when you go to trade it in or sell it. Take it to a reputable shop and let them get tear into it so you know where you stand. Good luck glad to hear everyone is ok

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
There are laws about how roads are to be built. If those laws are followed, Great. If not they need to be enforced and or changed. If you think for a minute they won't enforce the laws concerning you, you are wrong. Its not about suing its about enforcement.
We all pay taxes for this or that. Suing is a perfectly acceptable means of enforcing the federal/state/county/city/town/etc laws. In fact, its the only way a normal person can enforce the law on a public entity. They have criminal and civil laws to enforce on us.
There is nothing wrong with law enforcement at any level.
If you don't like the laws, move, or get them changed, removed from the books.
When a road cannot meet certain requirements, there is a posted speed limit that wil dictate the maximum safe speed in which to traverse the road. Exceed that, you stand a great risk of wrecking. This still falls 100% on the driver, not the public entity.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
That's definitely not a recoverable shoulder.

I wouldn't want to have to sit on board that was forced to prioritize projects. Too much to do and far too little money to work with.

There are so many 2 lane roads in my area with open ditches that it'd be impossible to fix them all.
Sponsored