Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
So we finally towed our camper we bought back in December. We did a weekend at Pirateland in Myrtle Beach. It was roughly 360 mile round trip. Made some mistakes getting setup at campground but towing was a breeze. Learned a lot about what not to do and found the sweet spot with the brake controller. We have a 4,089lb Grand Design Aim 18BH and I have a 2020 Max Tow lifted 2.5" on 37's. Averaged right at 11 mpg and put about $100 worth of gas in to get down and back. We are ready for the next trip now and more than likely will be buying a bigger one soon!

PXL_20240301_195254225.jpg

PXL_20240301_195246532.jpg
Sponsored

WanderingJ

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Blue Overland - Prev, 2014 Polar JKU
Occupation
contract manager
I recently picked up a 24ft jayco x23b hybrid. 4000 dry and will be the biggest thing Ive ever towed. A little nervous about backing it into lots since it will mostly just be me and my boy. I had a popup before this. What WDH did you go with, if you have one? Ive been looking at the Anderson or Recurve 3

Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM
So we finally towed our camper we bought back in December. We did a weekend at Pirateland in Myrtle Beach. It was roughly 360 mile round trip. Made some mistakes getting setup at campground but towing was a breeze. Learned a lot about what not to do and found the sweet spot with the brake controller. We have a 4,089lb Grand Design Aim 18BH and I have a 2020 Max Tow lifted 2.5" on 37's. Averaged right at 11 mpg and put about $100 worth of gas in to get down and back. We are ready for the next trip now and more than likely will be buying a bigger one soon!

Jeep Gladiator Towed our Camper for the first Time! PXL_20240301_195246532

Congrats! There is noting better than camping with your own trailer. Gladiator does a good job with towing. Have fun with it this summer.

Rottwheeler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1974 IH Scout II, 1946 CJ-2A.

Your rear view mirrors don't look like mine. Are they a clip/strap on extension or a full replacement? Thanks

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Your rear view mirrors don't look like mine. Are they a clip/strap on extension or a full replacement? Thanks
These are the ones I ended up getting. A guy at the Place I bought mine had a set in his gladiator. He said they don't vibrate around like the others and look more stock. They did not vibrate at all and did great . Definitely recommend them. I can't say if others vibrate or not.

https://www.jegs.com/i/K-Source/179/80750/10002/-1

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I recently picked up a 24ft jayco x23b hybrid. 4000 dry and will be the biggest thing Ive ever towed. A little nervous about backing it into lots since it will mostly just be me and my boy. I had a popup before this. What WDH did you go with, if you have one? Ive been looking at the Anderson or Recurve 3
I can't remember the brand honestly . I bought it from the dealership we got the camper from. It cost me around $350 I think. For the Bluetooth brake controller and hitch it was $479. I'll see if I can find out what brand it is.

Honestly this is the biggest thing I ever towed as well. Mines 22ft 4086 dry. After about 30 miles I really forgot it was back there and backing it was pretty easy. I went with a pull through camp site for my first time going out but I had to back up when we stopped to eat to get out of the pizza hut parking lot. I did it pretty easily. Once I found the happy spot for the brake controller it was smooth sailing

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I wouldn't go much bigger, especially in weight...with your tires (and even if you re-geared) your towing capacity has decreased from the original factory rating. Please keep that in mind. What you have is probably good enough for you and your family (don't know) but, going bigger might not be the answer to stay within safe towing range.

Other than that, congratz and enjoy :) :) :)

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't go much bigger, especially in weight...with your tires (and even if you re-geared) your towing capacity has decreased from the original factory rating. Please keep that in mind. What you have is probably good enough for you and your family (don't know) but, going bigger might not be the answer to stay within safe towing range.

Other than that, congratz and enjoy :) :) :)
We found a few today around the same weight that are around 25ft to 28Ft, I wanted to stay under 5,000lbs because I've towed a 5300lb trailer full off rock pretty easily a few times just nothing as long as 22ft.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
My 2021 Venture Sonic SN220VRB is 27' long and with everything we want or need is right around 5,100 lbs. Here's the floor plan. Really LOVE the outdoor kitchen...can cook stuff without the inside smelling for days with the results of a good meal and the cooked grease from it, involved. My stone stock Overland tows it just fine.
Jeep Gladiator Towed our Camper for the first Time! 2021-Venture-RV-Sonic-SN220VRB-Travel-Trailer-Floorplan

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
You guys bought the wrong truck for towing trailers that size.
It just fine, it never struggled once. It's rated for 7650lbs so don't see why we picked the wrong truck. You just got to pick the right setup to tow with it.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Do you need to install a trailer brake?
Yes, I'm using a Bluetooth one. It did great and can be linked to multiple vehicles

CURT 51180 Echo Mobile Electric Trailer Brake Controller with Bluetooth-Enabled Smartphone Connection, Proportional, Black PLastic, 9 x 9 x 3 inches, BLACK PLASTIC [amazon]

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
I bought a GeoPro 19FBS a few weeks ago. Getting it outfitted currently, will take a maiden voyage sorta in the same way soon. Couple hundred miles for a break in run and get things adjusted and checked out. Ive had several 5th wheels over the years, and currently have a 38' Grand Design toyhauler that i use for work, but i have a
F-450 fir that. This will be the first trailer tow w a small truck. Its a diesel Willys, just geared it down w 4.10's, running 35's. This small trailer is around 3600 dry, hoping w a WDH it pulls well. Plan on making about a 2800 mile jaunt from East Tn to a loop through Co., Az. and NM then back.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a GeoPro 19FBS a few weeks ago. Getting it outfitted currently, will take a maiden voyage sorta in the same way soon. Couple hundred miles for a break in run and get things adjusted and checked out. Ive had several 5th wheels over the years, and currently have a 38' Grand Design toyhauler that i use for work, but i have a
F-450 fir that. This will be the first trailer tow w a small truck. Its a diesel Willys, just geared it down w 4.10's, running 35's. This small trailer is around 3600 dry, hoping w a WDH it pulls well. Plan on making about a 2800 mile jaunt from East Tn to a loop through Co., Az. and NM then back.

That's what I'm using a WDH and the curt brake controller. It did outstanding. I was on edge for the first 30 miles but after that I felt like I could pull it anywhere. On the way back I had the hammer down and never looked back. My wife came down after me in her BMW and followed me back. She kept texting me and telling me to slow down, that I was speeding. I never got above 65 but on those roads from not house to Myrtle Beach the Speed limit doesn't get above 60.
Sponsored