Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking at purchasing a 26' trailer (26 with Trailer Tongue, 23' without). Dry Weight is around 3,900.

I do have the Max Tow package on my Gladiator and I will be installing a brake controller this weekend.

Has anyone been dealing with a trailer of this size? This is bigger than I have been pulling so curious how well the Gladiator can handle this.

Any advice on this would be helpful (before I pull the trigger on the trailer purchase lol)>

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 12.43.10 PM.png
Sponsored

tweak89

First Name
Leroy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2002 Thunderbird
You shouldn't have an issue. But, remember to figure the additional weight of you put into the RV. Mine is a 19' (not sure that the length with tongue is) and fully loaded I'm somewhere close to 4k. The gladiator handled it just fine. I use sway control and a weight distribution hitch (and now Airlift 1000 airbags to level the jeep after hitching up).

It never felt unstable or stressed. The only thing that would make it better would be dual axles on my RV, but they weren't available on this model.

Forgot to add, I also have a Max Tow Sport S

Last edited:
OP
OP
Godfadr

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You shouldn't have an issue. But, remember to figure the additional weight of you put into the RV. Mine is a 19' (not sure that the length with tongue is) and fully loaded I'm somewhere close to 4k. The gladiator handled it just fine. I use sway control and a weight distribution hitch (and now Airlift 1000 airbags to level the jeep after hitching up).

It never felt unstable or stressed. The only thing that would make it better would be dual axles on my RV, but they weren't available on this model.
Thanks for the feedback. I am actually looking at a duel axle version for that very reason!

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Biggest thing I would worry about is good mirrors and maybe a wireless camera on it for something that size. The stock mirrors are going to be complete garbage on something that big. Weight shouldn't be an issue at all.

OP
OP
Godfadr

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Biggest thing I would worry about is good mirrors and maybe a wireless camera on it for something that size. The stock mirrors are going to be complete garbage on something that big. Weight shouldn't be an issue at all.
Good tip. I will have to go see if I can find a good remote camera.

Sponsored

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
22' and about 4500# loaded. Pulls it great with 488 gears and my 35's. Weight distribution hitch with sway control and electric brakes are a must though.

Jeep Gladiator Towing a 23 Foot Trailer Tow

OP
OP
Godfadr

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
22' and about 4500# loaded. Pulls it great with 488 gears and my 35's. Weight distribution hitch with sway control and electric brakes are a must though.

Jeep Gladiator Towing a 23 Foot Trailer Tow
Is there a sway control system you have been happy with?

TJWilly

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Weight distribution hitch with the built in sway bars is a good idea. Just makes for a more comfortable and safe experience in my opinion. I have the husky branded one. Model 32217 with built in sway control.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
For what it’s worth,

I’m towing a 7x16 (+ 2’ v-nose) cargo trailer converted to a toy hauler/camper. 7’3” Tall interior. 8 1/2’ exterior height. Tandem 3.5k brake axles. Empty weight of the trailer was right about 3k. Added bed on lifting tracks in the rear, front countertop, fridge, microwave, toilet, fresh/black/grey tanks, fold down table, tv, generator, dual marine batteries on the tongue, etc....
I don’t have a weight distribution hitch, I do have a weigh safe hitch (scale built into it) so I weighed the trailer at a truck stop with it ready to camp (empty tanks and minus luggage and food stuffs) to get a starting base for loading properly and my scale ticket showed 4020 on the axles and another 600 on the tongue. I towed this from west of St. Louis to Eastern Tennessee and back a couple weeks ago and it did beautiful. Of course I wasn’t doing 80 down the interstate through the mountains either. Ran about 65-70 the whole way. The only wiggle I had was going down hill in the mountains once and had a semi blow past me to which got the “billboard” behind me swaying a bit. Pressed the knob on the curt spectrum controller for a second or two and the trailer brake drag brought it back in line just fine.
This is a rubicon with 3/4” lift front and rear (factory rake) on 37’s with a drop hitch to set the trailer floor level with the road.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Weight distributing hitch for sure.

3900 lb is dry weight so keep in mind that's usually without optional add-ons, and if you're running with full water tanks that's about 275 lb for 33 gal (27 gal fresh + 6 in the hot water heater), plus the weight of all the stuff you carry in the camper, two LP bottles, etc.

I'd also consider how often and how far you'll be towing, and in what terrain (looks like you're in Florida so it's probably flat everywhere if you keep it in state).

It was probably tow it but you're definitely going to know the trailer is there.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Godfadr

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Weight distributing hitch for sure.

3900 lb is dry weight so keep in mind that's usually without optional add-ons, and if you're running with full water tanks that's about 275 lb for 33 gal (27 gal fresh + 6 in the hot water heater), plus the weight of all the stuff you carry in the camper, two LP bottles, etc.

I'd also consider how often and how far you'll be towing, and in what terrain (looks like you're in Florida so it's probably flat everywhere if you keep it in state).

It was probably tow it but you're definitely going to know the trailer is there.
Thanks...going across the country so, most terrain in play. I plan on keeping it around 5,300 lbs. - leaving me a margin of error and not maxing it out.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Thanks...going across the country so, most terrain in play. I plan on keeping it around 5,300 lbs. - leaving me a margin of error and not maxing it out.
If you don’t have a setup to tow your camper yet, look into weight distribution setups. Most campers seem to have pretty heavy tongue weights. Your sheet showed 420 but take that with a grain of salt, and scale it to be sure. We looked at a few that had under 5000 gvw and tongue well over 700. I wouldn’t want that much tongue without one. Some campers are also a little more top heavy with upper cabinets and such so the sway control of a weight distribution hitch helps a lot if it starts to rock from wind or semi truck buffeting.

Guessing with our luggage and such, I was probably close to 5K (tongue at 550-600 on my hitch scale) and knew the trailer was there. Didn’t really loose speed on the inclines but was down to 4th gear on most of them. Mileage was down quite a bit but also pulling more weight/bigger camper than I would dare to pull with a JL and still have an off-roadable Jeep;)

just keep your head in your travels and be safe about it.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I recommend the Rampage strap-on mirrors with the Thorn adapters so they fit our mirrors. Stick on 2" convex mirrors in the top outside corners.

SharkB8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LE Rubicon Gladiator
Towing a 23.5’ wakeboard boat at about 5k lbs fully loaded. No issues. Tracks well. Granted it’s not a trailer with a lot of wind resistance. Also a 18’ tent trailer at 3.5k lbs...no issues there either. No sway needed (although I have a polyblock hitch that articulates on all axis).
Sponsored