First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon (Diesel)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Make sure you are not storing your old wheels with the previous TMPS sensors too close to your truck, like in the garage for example. They may still try to pick them up each time you leave/come home.
Sponsored

GotGladiator

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator MaxTow
I think ill have to switch the ones from my Sport alloys over.
Did you end up switching the sensors? How much for the labor? I'm in the same boat. I just bought a set of 18" Overland wheels/tires supposedly still with sensors. I drove about 25 miles and I still have the tpms service warning. I already called a dealer and hoping to get an appt soon. From the outside, I can see that the stems of both sets look the same. IF the previous owner lied about the sensors still on there, it's gonna be a bummer! Oh well.
I still have my 17" stock steel wheels and tires w/ sensors. Worse case scenario I can slap those sensors to the new set of 18". Assuming they will work or seat- from steel to alloy. Worst, I have to buy a new set of sensors..ayayay! JEEP!
Oh both G are 2021. I'm unsure if 2020 has a different sensor model.

GotGladiator

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator MaxTow
Make sure you are not storing your old wheels with the previous TMPS sensors too close to your truck, like in the garage for example. They may still try to pick them up each time you leave/come home.
Just to test, I put one of my 17" stock w sensor to the installed 18" and the system did not pick up. Maybe it should be rolling to register?

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
I had an issue with my JL where it seemed like the TPMS was dead/not working.
I had to drop the pressure down around 20 or so and then re-inflate to get it registering again.

GotGladiator

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator MaxTow
@Ogre_FL

Yes, sometimes / often if you do the dance lets say there is a happy ending.... 8-)

Lets assume the sensors you have are a go for your JT and that they are healthy... anyway do try this.. and be sure to follow the instr. exactly..

-->The current thought by most TPMS retailers/vendors, is IF you have one or more sensors not reading on a say a JT or JL/JLU, you deflate all tires to 12# below the recommended tire pressure, driver's side door sticker that tells you recommended tire psi. Now, after they are deflated you drive say a half mile. Now, you inflate to to +- 1# psi, of the recommended psi on the driver's side door sticker and go for a mile drive..

Also, many of those in the know, Wrangler wise, will tell you to take the spare off and try if you get a negative result doing the above... Having the spare off can make a difference. NOTE: JT does not have a sensor in the spare so this remove spare thing is not needed in regard to the JT, unless you have added a TPMS to the spare, which you can do.

This scenario/routine is suppose to wake up the sensors, so to speak and get them reading...

Note: Used to be it you just over inflated and drove but current/new approach is to do as I mentioned.
School this newbie. What is JT, JL, JLU?

Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
I was told you could tell they were tpms stems by taking off the valve cap. A regular stem just had the threads for the cap then the rubber below it. The tpms stems had the thread for the cap, then a smooth copper sleeve for about a quarter inch, before the rubber of the stem (the cap covers the sleeve when on).
All that means is that you have TPMS stems. It doesn't mean that there's sensors on the end of the stems as they're removable and replaceable without swapping the stems.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Good day all,

I picked up so rubicon take offs today, they still have the TPMS sensors installed. On start up I got readings from the sensors. After about 15 minutes of driving I got the “service tire pressure sensor”message and all four give me dashes as a reading.

I looked through the forums but couldn’t find this issue. Anybody got a quick fix or do I need to get it looked at?

B939F5DD-646D-4CF1-98C1-29E8993476D1.jpeg
It's possible that those were the previous readings and there's no sensors on the end of the stems. The vehicle will remember the last readings until you drive it for a while and it relearns.

How did you determine that the sensors were still in the wheels?

GotGladiator

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator MaxTow
It's possible that those were the previous readings and there's no sensors on the end of the stems. The vehicle will remember the last readings until you drive it for a while and it relearns.

How did you determine that the sensors were still in the wheels?
Correct on the old reading. It happened to me. I was smiling when I drove off after the take offs were installed to find the warning later.
The deflate and inflate procedure did not work, continue reading....
So I went to America's tires and 2 other tire shops, of whom confirmed that there are no sensors! I could get a dealer appt. A good thing!
So lesson learned, when buying those take offs and the seller tells you they have sensors- hmmm, trust but verify. The stem identification, not true. Go to a tire shop to have it tested for FREE. That would save you the time figuring out whether there are sensors there or not. I'm glad I only paid $550 for the 18 inch Overland set. It cost me $80 labor to use my sensors from my stock steel rims. Whew! As soon as I left the tire shop, bam! The G picked up the signal. I'm smiling again....

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
This happened to me. The seller lied, but looks to be mature and not shady type person. I even had a chat with his wife as well. Fraud with a smile.

GotGladiator

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator MaxTow
This happened to me. The seller lied, but looks to be mature and not shady type person. I even had a chat with his wife as well. Fraud with a smile.
Sorry to here that, Vtur. We both learned our lessons eh? And I hope through this forum our experiences could give other members a heads up on what to do to lessen the costs buying some take offs. I think I still got a good deal, but could have been sweeter with tpms sensors included.

Sponsored

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Sorry to here that, Vtur. We both learned our lessons eh? And I hope through this forum our experiences could give other members a heads up on what to do to lessen the costs buying some take offs. I think I still got a good deal, but could have been sweeter with tpms sensors included.
You would think someone who could afford a 60k truck would be a bit more honest over $100 parts.

lasvegasdenny

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Not to beat a dead horse but I read that the TPMS learn process is similar to the drive cycles that must be met by the ECU to pass smog. It stated that the vehicle must be driven at least 5 minutes at 28MPH to relearn the TPMS sensors. I am going to give it try....

Awhitebuff

First Name
Buff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland Diesel
Occupation
Retired
And if it was someone on this forum who lied about the sensors I think they should be called out. I hate lying, cheating, asshats! Bad enough that's all we get from politicians.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Not to beat a dead horse but I read that the TPMS learn process is similar to the drive cycles that must be met by the ECU to pass smog. It stated that the vehicle must be driven at least 5 minutes at 28MPH to relearn the TPMS sensors. I am going to give it try....
Naw, I've switched wheels/tires back and forth several times. Right out the door it's got the correct readings and reading the correct wheels. (the others were in the bed of the truck)
Every single time, as soon as I left where the dealer had my truck parked, it was reading correctly.

Gee, if that were the case, then I'd be in real trouble as I had my other set of wheels/tires in the bed of the truck! And I stored those I sold right next to my truck until I sold them. No problem. My wife's GC gets parked next to my JT and we've not had any issues.

For my first year and a half of ownership, I had two sets of tires and wheels - each with TPMS. I'd put on the A/T for winter and the stock H/T tires for summer (actually, the dealer did as the WAVE tire rotation thing). Each time I hauled the other set in the bed of the truck, and each time they were swapped, they read the tires that were on the truck at that time, not what was in the bed of the truck (I knew because the dealer shop had a habit of over-inflating the tires up to about 40 psi each time they rotated/swapped for me, I'd get home and drop the pressure to the correct reading)

polarisTXguy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave, F350, Boss 302, Mini, Ram1500
Occupation
Polaris Industires
Ok I’m struggling! Looking for direction with keeping the TMPS married to the Jeep. I just installed a new W&T and every time I get them to communicate the only work for an hour or so.

I have a TAZER mini and have set them up per instructions. Looking for suggestions

73A4AB29-FEB2-45C7-B191-A44F61E494CA.jpeg
Sponsored