Sponsored

Trail rail system

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Anybody know how to move a cleat to the front rail of the system? It's not immediately obvious. Tried unscrewing all the way and moving to the larger slots on the end but no luck.
Sponsored

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
Anybody know how to move a cleat to the front rail of the system? It's not immediately obvious. Tried unscrewing all the way and moving to the larger slots on the end but no luck.
Doesn’t it need to slide to the end, where there is a larger opening to allow removal?

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doesn’t it need to slide to the end, where there is a larger opening to allow removal?
That's what I thought, but no luck. I slide it to the larger opening and it doesn't come out. Not sure if I need to do something else or I'm not doing it right or what.

vsoin

First Name
Vishal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2010 Jeep JKU, 2015 Mercedes G63, 2015 GMC Sierra HD Denali
That's what I thought, but no luck. I slide it to the larger opening and it doesn't come out. Not sure if I need to do something else or I'm not doing it right or what.
Try it again. Slide it to the end [the rectangular cut out] and it'll pull out. To move it to another rail such as behind the cab, insert into the rectangular cut out and slide to the desired position. I was able to easily move cleats between the rails.

Haven't been able to find replacement/additional cleats. Tacoma/Tundra bed rail cleats do fit, they just don't lock down as well as the Mopar ones.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Try it again. Slide it to the end [the rectangular cut out] and it'll pull out. To move it to another rail such as behind the cab, insert into the rectangular cut out and slide to the desired position. I was able to easily move cleats between the rails.

Haven't been able to find replacement/additional cleats. Tacoma/Tundra bed rail cleats do fit, they just don't lock down as well as the Mopar ones.
I'm hoping I can find something for the front rail I can attach my bike forks to, would make it super easy to throw the bikes in it that way instead of messing with the cleats and tie downs. I'll try moving the cleats again when I get home from work.

Sponsored

SuddenBraking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK Grand Cherokee

Glad I searched before asking the question. How much better are the Mopar version than the Toyota ones? And do we think Mopar is going to offer cleats for sale at some point in the near future? I need about four more of those buggers.

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rocky Mounts makes a fork mount that might fit into the rail system. I used these when I had a Tacoma.
https://rockymounts.com/collections/adaptor-and-truck-mounts/products/loball-track
Yup, I looked at these when I went to REI as they stock them, I think they'll work. I ended up just strapping them to the cleats once I figured out how to move them (thanks @vsoin). I just put one cleat on the front rail and use that and the two loops on either side of the bottom of the bed and they didn't move. Given that, not sure how much time it'd save removing and reinstalling the front wheels, but it might allow more stuff in the bed under the front of the bikes.

20190524_154628s.jpg

NCTOAD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LE on the way
Hey! Lets us know if you try out the Rocky Mount fork mounts. Look like they will fit and that would be a great add (if they are snug)

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
Anybody know if the gladiator rails are the same height relative to the top of the bed as the tacomas? Thinking of getting this setup from Thule but want to make sure they'll fit.

https://www.amazon.com/Thule-TracRac-TracONE-Accessory-Toolbox/dp/B0036TOFY4
https://www.amazon.com/TracRac-TracONE-Universal-Truck-Silver/dp/B003DMFDM2
From what I've seen, the trail rail system bolts directly below the top of the bed, precluding clamp type racks from being installed. I saw someone who installed a similar Yakima rack on theirs, but they had to remove the side trail rails to get them to fit.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what I've seen, the trail rail system bolts directly below the top of the bed, precluding clamp type racks from being installed. I saw someone who installed a similar Yakima rack on theirs, but they had to remove the side trail rails to get them to fit.
Yes, if you look at those clamps in the first link, they're built for the tacoma accessory bed rail system (which is much the same as the gladiator trail rail system). However, if the rails aren't a similar distance from the top edge of the bed, the clamps won't be the right length as they only have a limited adjustment range since they slide into the rails themselves and are not adjustable for length.

edit: I ordered them, will update here if they do/don't fit. Should be here by Friday.

Last edited:

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Yes, if you look at those clamps in the first link, they're built for the tacoma accessory bed rail system (which is much the same as the gladiator trail rail system). However, if the rails aren't a similar distance from the top edge of the bed, the clamps won't be the right length as they only have a limited adjustment range since they slide into the rails themselves and are not adjustable for length.

edit: I ordered them, will update here if they do/don't fit. Should be here by Friday.

:CWL::CWL::CWL: nice logical explanation as to why they probably won't work and then I read the edit. Ordered them anyway. Love it.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
:CWL::CWL::CWL: nice logical explanation as to why they probably won't work and then I read the edit. Ordered them anyway. Love it.
Well, I'm leaving on a trip Monday and I won't have time to track down a Tacoma with the bed accessory rail setup before the weekend to measure, which would be too late to order them and have them on time if they do fit. Plus, that'd be more work than just getting them and returning them to Amazon if they don't fit :).

logic on top of logic that always ends in me ordering :).

relapsekg

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon; 2012 VW GTI ; 1999 S10 ZR2
Occupation
IT
Well, I'm leaving on a trip Monday and I won't have time to track down a Tacoma with the bed accessory rail setup before the weekend to measure, which would be too late to order them and have them on time if they do fit. Plus, that'd be more work than just getting them and returning them to Amazon if they don't fit :).

logic on top of logic that always ends in me ordering :).
Thank you for doing the research!
Sponsored