Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
His vlogs are well done, with great content. I think you are missing the point here. He is an overlander who also likes to hit some hard trails. He still has the JKU, just traded the JT for the Power Wagon and as mentioned previously doing that makes for good content.

Honestly I think he gave the JT a good try and it wasn’t a good fit for his style of wheeling and overlanding. I won’t rehash here, go watch his video on why he decided to go back to the wrangler platform. My opinion is pretty much the same as his, the JKU or JLU is a better off road rock crawler than the JT will ever be.
Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
My opinion is pretty much the same as his, the JKU or JLU is a better off road rock crawler than the JT will ever be.
Blanket statement without any info to support it. If you’re talking hardcore rock crawling maybe but it’s still just an opinion without supporting info

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The evidence is there for anyone who wants to see it.

The same long wheelbase that gives Gladiator greater highway stability and makes it better at towing than Wrangler, becomes a handicap on the trail.

It is what it is.

Jeep Gladiator Trail Recon Gladiator 1608965686337

Jeep Gladiator Trail Recon Gladiator 1608965947388

Jeep Gladiator Trail Recon Gladiator 1608965717620

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Blanket statement without any info to support it. If you’re talking hardcore rock crawling maybe but it’s still just an opinion without supporting info
Supporting info: breakover angle.

Does not mean that it sucks. It does mean that it will never be as good as short wheel base vehicles at that specific thing.

I don't do much of that specific thing. Which is why I have one.

It's not really an opinion that needs supporting info. It's really a simple fact supported by physics.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Surgical CSFA

I didn’t think it was necessary to elaborate since there is a video Trail Recon did on YouTube explaining his reasons for trading in his JT.

Basically, the tighter rock crawling that Trail Recon typically does requires;
- shorter wheelbase
- shorter vehicle
Therefore the wrangler even a 4 door wrangler does a better job.

The desert trails that Trail Recon typically travels, and the weather he encounters;
- he likes having to deal with less dust/weather conditions on equipment that is exposed in the bed of a truck.
- he likes having an SUV not a truck for his style of Overlanding.

For me the JT is a great platform for what I need it to do but I would not take it on any serious rock crawling trails. I would take something more suitable that would sustain less body damage and wouldn’t need a lot of lift to overcome those “shortcomings “ ( I really think it is not a shortcoming as the JT just wasn’t designed for tight rock crawling. AND I am glad that Jeep didn’t design it to try and do those types of things).

Now, you could chop the rear, even shorten the wheel base of the JT to make an awesome rock crawler. Doing this IMOP is ruining the design and engineering of a truck that I think is better than any other mid-sized truck.

The JT is IMOP a best platform for mid-size pickup trucks (all pickup truck assets over SUV place here, PLUS);
- solid front axle
- Hand Brake
- convertible
- doors and windshield are removable and drop down.
- Max Tow payload
- Max Tow towing
- Max Tow gearing
- 8 speed German Auto
- 3.6 L World Motor
- available factory lockers, swaybar dc, 4:1 t-case etc
- IT IS A JEEP
For ME this makes the JT much better than Toyota, Chebby, Ford and Nissan.

Why try to reason from YOUR perspective why someone else should do something with THEIR OWN vehicle that they have a different opinion about. That differing opinion is based on their use of the vehicle not yours.

I hope this makes sense and IMOP, Trail Recon has made a solid choice for his style of off-roading and Overlanding.

While we are here, I also believe that this mid-sized truck shouldn’t be forced to do full-sized truck things either. I am not going to elaborate here, I think most people understand what I am saying.

“The right tool for the right job”

Last edited:

Sponsored

RockHopper

First Name
Silverrubicon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I think its hard to argue that a wrangler isn't a superior rock crawling rig, given the wheelbase difference between the two. I have wheeled a gladiator and numerous wranglers and can say that the four door wrangler is much easier to navigate on obstacles and tight spaces than the gladiator.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I think its hard to argue that a wrangler isn't a superior rock crawling rig, given the wheelbase difference between the two. I have wheeled a gladiator and numerous wranglers and can say that the four door wrangler is much easier to navigate on obstacles and tight spaces than the gladiator.

All else being equal shorter wheelbase will always win, although on a steep vertical IF you can get the longer vehicle on it and off of it, the longer wheelbase will make it much more stable during the climb.

Arguing that a longer vehicle is inherently as or more capable than an identically equipped shorter wheelbase vehicle is simply fraught with failure, it isn't so and never will be.

RockHopper

First Name
Silverrubicon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
All else being equal shorter wheelbase will always win, although on a steep vertical IF you can get the longer vehicle on it and off of it, the longer wheelbase will make it much more stable during the climb.

Arguing that a longer vehicle is inherently as or more capable than an identically equipped shorter wheelbase vehicle is simply fraught with failure, it isn't so and never will be.
I think the point is that it is easier to off road the four door wrangler on any type of obstacle. My long-arm kit on the gladiator makes it extremely capable for all terrains, but its not as easy to maneuver as my stock JLUR.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I think the point is that it is easier to off road the four door wrangler on any type of obstacle. My long-arm kit on the gladiator makes it extremely capable for all terrains, but its not as easy to maneuver as my stock JLUR.
Because it is longer.

Re-read what I wrote and pay note of the part that says "identically equipped" and "all other things being equal".

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I didn’t think it was necessary to elaborate since there is a video Trail Recon did on YouTube explaining his reasons for trading in his JT.

Basically, the tighter rock crawling that Trail Recon typically does requires;
- shorter wheelbase
- shorter vehicle
Therefore the wrangler even a 4 door wrangler does a better job.

The desert trails that Trail Recon typically travels, and the weather he encounters;
- he likes having to deal with less dust/weather conditions on equipment that is exposed in the bed of a truck.
- he likes having an SUV not a truck for his style of Overlanding.

For me the JT is a great platform for what I need it to do but I would not take it on any serious rock crawling trails. I would take something more suitable that would sustain less body damage and wouldn’t need a lot of lift to overcome those “shortcomings “ ( I really think it is not a shortcoming as the JT just wasn’t designed for tight rock crawling. AND I am glad that Jeep didn’t design it to try and do those types of things).

Now, you could chop the rear, even shorten the wheel base of the JT to make an awesome rock crawler. Doing this IMOP is ruining the design and engineering of a truck that I think is better than any other mid-sized truck.

The JT is IMOP a best platform for mid-size pickup trucks (all pickup truck assets over SUV place here, PLUS);
- solid front axle
- Hand Brake
- convertible
- doors and windshield are removable and drop down.
- Max Tow payload
- Max Tow towing
- Max Tow gearing
- 8 speed German Auto
- 3.6 L World Motor
- available factory lockers, swaybar dc, 4:1 t-case etc
- IT IS A JEEP
For ME this makes the JT much better than Toyota, Chebby, Ford and Nissan.

Why try to reason from YOUR perspective why someone else should do something with THEIR OWN vehicle that they have a different opinion about. That differing opinion is based on their use of the vehicle not yours.

I hope this makes sense and IMOP, Trail Recon has made a solid choice for his style of off-roading and Overlanding.

While we are here, I also believe that this mid-sized truck shouldn’t be forced to do full-sized truck things either. I am not going to elaborate here, I think most people understand what I am saying.

“The right tool for the right job”

Let me know when you start a thread on how the 2-door Wrangler is so much easier to wheel than the 4-door Wrangler. Then we can talk about how much more nimble a dirt bike is than the 2-door Wrangler. :facepalm:

Of course approach, breakover and departure angles all matter. Of course the length of the vehicle makes the breakover angle worse.

FYI, this is a Gladiator forum. The Wrangler forum is here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/

By the way, the sky is blue and water is wet.

Sponsored

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
What Exit you asked for supporting info so I gave it to you. I get you are invested in the JT and it is hurting your feelings that Trail Recon traded his JT in and likes the wrangler better for his trail rig. This is a weird obsession with Trail Recon’s decision but no judgement from me.

This whole thread is about Trail Recon trading his JT for a power wagon and going to a JLUR diesel for his Overlanding trips.

The comparison is between the Wrangler JLUR and the Gladiator.

Thanks for the link to the wrangler forum but I already have it. I own a Gladiator now so this JT forum is for me. đź‘Ť

Take a deep breath What Exit and maybe a break from the internet is needed for you.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
There are lots of threads arguing between 2 and 4-door Wranglers already.

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
I used to watch his videos.

One day he put out a video on “camping solo:” he spent 25 non-stop minutes listing all the expensive, useless crap he hauled to the middle of nowhere I “needed” to be “alone.” After that, he traded his Wrangler for a Gladiator for a Power Wagon in the time it took me to go to the bathroom.

I finally realized how stupid it was to watch his YouTube videos.
I think this is what cracks me up the most. To each their own, do what you want, etc. But, the whole overlanding thing is a bit odd to me.

TR: Wants to get outdoors and away from modern society, and drink coffee.
Also TR: Drags $150k worth of modern society with him to be outdoors.

Not hating on the guy as he does seem genuine, I just find the whole thing funny.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I was initially happy when TR got a Gladiator but was disappointed in what he decided to install on it. It became apparent to me at least that he was installing gear that was given to him to promote and not necessarily the best equipment for overlanding which is my main interest.

As said above it’s all about fresh content for him and many other utubers. I would not be surprised to see him rigging out the Tesla truck or the Eneos Grenadere in a year or two.

Venture 4wd and The Road Chose Me are my two favorite content providers now. Dan Grec is the real deal....taking a relatively stock Jeep all the way to the southern tip of South America and another Wrangler around Africa. He has forgotten what more than what the others think they know..

Last edited:

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
He does it for the money. And to get free stuff, and to have that be his job.

All the posts of people perplexed as to why he installs this or that, or why he overlands and drags modern stuff with him.

HE IS NOT OVERLANDING.

He is making videos ABOUT overlanding for a wide audience and distributing them on a platform that pays you for clicks and new content on a CADENCE. And that same platform punishes you financially when you don't post enough or if you don't grow your channel as you are told to.

His decisions are financially motivated. He isn't modding his stuff with the same goals in mind as any normal jeep guys would do where the stuff ain't free and mistakes matter.
Sponsored

Last edited: