Trailer Brake Controller Installed - Redarc Tow Pro Liberty

redline61

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Nice, I installed mine this last summer and went for just below the start button. That one turns out was a bad idea as I always hit the thing with my knee. Wouldn't do that again!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Nice, I installed mine this last summer and went for just below the start button. That one turns out was a bad idea as I always hit the thing with my knee. Wouldn't do that again!
Oooh, not good.
I want that brake controller in full view, easily reached in an emergency. I don't want to fumble, try to figure out where it is, or reach for it and have something in the way. It's a safety device while you are towing and yes, sometimes you DO need to press that button or make a quick adjustment for different road conditions (going from blacktop to gravel, etc.
Stock location for me. It's a safety item.

OP
OP
MCATDT

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Oooh, not good.
I want that brake controller in full view, easily reached in an emergency. I don't want to fumble, try to figure out where it is, or reach for it and have something in the way. It's a safety device while you are towing and yes, sometimes you DO need to press that button or make a quick adjustment for different road conditions (going from blacktop to gravel, etc.
Stock location for me. It's a safety item.
Definitely took the advice here of placing it in a spot that is easy to reach but not easy to accidentally hit. I didn't want to move the 12v outlet and this was as close to the stock location as I could get with out relocating the outlet. I think a pretty good compromise.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
So while I agree about loosing 112v plug if you have stuff plugged into it can you still see your brake button ? Thats the only concern with that location I'd have. I relocated my 12v port but to this point 2 years later have not used it. actually wondering why i moved it..lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
MCATDT

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
So while I agree about loosing 112v plug if you have stuff plugged into it can you still see your brake button ? Thats the only concern with that location I'd have. I relocated my 12v port but to this point 2 years later have not used it. actually wondering why i moved it..lol
I did consider this but the only time I have anything plugged into the 12v is when I have my CB plugged in on trail rides. Im never towing while anything is plugged in to the 12v so no issues of it being blocked...at least based on how I have used the outlet in the past :)

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Got my new trailer brake controller installed today. Went with the Redarc Tow Pro Liberty. Big shout out to @RudeJeepin for the mounting idea. I think it came out great!
Jeep Gladiator Trailer Brake Controller Installed - Redarc Tow Pro Liberty tempImagepBKhoD
Turned out geat. Thank for the shout out, but i too borrowed the idea from someone else.

I've towed several times since adding my brake controller and so far I haven't had any issues with using the 12v plug and the controller at the same time.
Before punching the hole, I sat there with the few 12v plugs that I have and made sure it would work out for my needs. I did mount the controller knob in the upper right corner, not sure if it would make a difference or not.
Resized_20220920_191551.jpeg

Kinda figured if it was a problem, I could always take the "door" off the 12v plug to make a little more room, but so far not needed.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
Turned out geat. Thank for the shout out, but i too borrowed the idea from someone else.

I've towed several times since adding my brake controller and so far I haven't had any issues with using the 12v plug and the controller at the same time.
Before punching the hole, I sat there with the few 12v plugs that I have and made sure it would work out for my needs. I did mount the controller knob in the upper right corner, not sure if it would make a difference or not.
Jeep Gladiator Trailer Brake Controller Installed - Redarc Tow Pro Liberty Resized_20220920_191551

Kinda figured if it was a problem, I could always take the "door" off the 12v plug to make a little more room, but so far not needed.
Did you have to do any dremelling behind the panel to fit the button switch. Its larger than the button but it doesn’t look too big.

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thinking of this also and since I have not removed that panel I was wondering also about having to remove any plastic to make it fit. Any advice would be great

OP
OP
MCATDT

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Did you have to do any dremelling behind the panel to fit the button switch. Its larger than the button but it doesn’t look too big.
I did have to remove some plastic. In my case it was about a .5 x.5 piece of plastic. When I was looking at mounting points in that area I chose the spot that had the least interference. I cut the plastic tab with a pair of wire cutters (didn't need a dremel). I just had to take a small corner off it.

Sponsored

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
I did have to remove some plastic. In my case it was about a .5 x.5 piece of plastic. When I was looking at mounting points in that area I chose the spot that had the least interference. I cut the plastic tab with a pair of wire cutters (didn't need a dremel). I just had to take a small corner off it.
Ok, thanks. That doesn’t sound too bad.

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Thinking of this also and since I have not removed that panel I was wondering also about having to remove any plastic to make it fit. Any advice would be great
It's been awhile, but if I remember right, the only "dremel" work was to the section of panel that the 12v plug is in. Atleast I remember thinking that I wasn't doing anything that I could undo if needed.
Sponsored