OP
OP
aj8544

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
Is the tongue weight rating of the Gladiator affected by you carrying a load in the bed, like campfire wood or generator?
Not the weight rating for the hitch tongue weight specifically, but both must be accounted for in payload capacity (along with anything/anyone else in the truck).

Funny to think that you could easily exceed the hitch weight rating with bed cargo nearly over the hitch, but not exceed the payload rating in doing so. As for the hitch itself it’s Class IV, just like the ones on F150s rated for 12k plus and well over 1000lbs of tongue weight. Obviously this all has to do with suspension, tires etc...
Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I did a fairly long trip last fall and had a lot of highway driving. I found going 55 with all that space was better than the two lane roads that are 55. Passing a 18 wheeler on those two lane roads is def less fun on two lane roads vs highways. Don’t feel pressured to drive like a maniac going 85 on the highway, easy does it and you will have less stress!
[/QUOTE]

Guess I never thought of that. Good to know that it might actually be easier on the highway. Living where I am my comfort level on two lanes is just so high never thought I could actually make it harder with all the narrow roads.

Worst part was my second trip I ended up on a road that was down to one lane with flagers. That will really test how well you can manover one of these things.

Kalvin

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Nitro, 2010 Dodge Charger
Curious what the tongue weight is on your setup? Have found a better trailer option (passport sl221bh). However although it is only 5100lbs dry, the listed tongue weight is 685lbs. Rubicon max hitch weight is listed as 700lbs, 765lbs for a sport max tow. Is anyone paying attention to the max hitch weights or just payload and tow capacity?(Yes I know we should be mindful of all the ratings...)
aj8544 - I’d be interested in hearing what you find out related to the SL221BH. I’ve also had my eye on that unit. It looks exactly like what we’d want.

I had hoped the 685 lbs dry tongue weight rating was an error on the website, since all the other similarly sized and optioned units had a substantially lower tongue weight. Unfortunately I’m pretty sure it is accurate.

Our local RV dealer called their keystone rep. What he told us was the listed weight is correct. The unit’s tongue weight is pushed higher compared to similar models last year because of three main changes:
  1. Addition of the slide (compared to the 239ML/219BH)
  2. Addition of convenience station on left side of passthrough storage
  3. Addition of a ton of storage drawers (under Murphy bed / sofa, night stand, and under dinette benches)
Given the dry tongue weight of 685 lbs doesn’t include batteries, weight of propane (although I believe the empty tanks are included in that number), some added weight due to gear we load forward of the axle that isn’t offset by gear loaded to the rear, nor any water, it really feels like actual hitch weight would be well over 700 lbs, or even 765 lbs for that matter.

While perhaps some might be okay with keeping water tanks empty except for the 1/2 mile slow drive from the fill station to the campsite, I’d rather have the flexibility to fill up close to camp and drive another 10+ miles to the perfect spot off the beaten path.

Net-net, I’ve all but convinced myself that a dry hitch weight of 685 is an absolute no-go for even a JT with max tow. I’d love it if ya’ll think I’m wrong, but I’ve read enough of these payload / towing threads to know better! ;)

I’m now looking at the 219BH. It is basically the same unit as the 221BH, without the slide. At a dry hitch weight of 535 lb and dry shipping weight of 4,672, it feels like a much more appropriate TT for the Gladiator I hope to buy very soon. Although I’m still trying to decide between the rubi I want and the additional payload rating of the max tow. Given we’re a family of 5, feels like the payload would be the priority.

Even after all this research, I’m still hoping I might be wrong. I’d love to hear what all the experts here think of my analysis. Thank you!

~ Kalvin

OP
OP
aj8544

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
aj8544 - I’d be interested in hearing what you find out related to the SL221BH. I’ve also had my eye on that unit. It looks exactly like what we’d want.

I had hoped the 685 lbs dry tongue weight rating was an error on the website, since all the other similarly sized and optioned units had a substantially lower tongue weight. Unfortunately I’m pretty sure it is accurate.

Our local RV dealer called their keystone rep. What he told us was the listed weight is correct. The unit’s tongue weight is pushed higher compared to similar models last year because of three main changes:
  1. Addition of the slide (compared to the 239ML/219BH)
  2. Addition of convenience station on left side of passthrough storage
  3. Addition of a ton of storage drawers (under Murphy bed / sofa, night stand, and under dinette benches)
Given the dry tongue weight of 685 lbs doesn’t include batteries, weight of propane (although I believe the empty tanks are included in that number), some added weight due to gear we load forward of the axle that isn’t offset by gear loaded to the rear, nor any water, it really feels like actual hitch weight would be well over 700 lbs, or even 765 lbs for that matter.

While perhaps some might be okay with keeping water tanks empty except for the 1/2 mile slow drive from the fill station to the campsite, I’d rather have the flexibility to fill up close to camp and drive another 10+ miles to the perfect spot off the beaten path.

Net-net, I’ve all but convinced myself that a dry hitch weight of 685 is an absolute no-go for even a JT with max tow. I’d love it if ya’ll think I’m wrong, but I’ve read enough of these payload / towing threads to know better! ;)

I’m now looking at the 219BH. It is basically the same unit as the 221BH, without the slide. At a dry hitch weight of 535 lb and dry shipping weight of 4,672, it feels like a much more appropriate TT for the Gladiator I hope to buy very soon. Although I’m still trying to decide between the rubi I want and the additional payload rating of the max tow. Given we’re a family of 5, feels like the payload would be the priority.

Even after all this research, I’m still hoping I might be wrong. I’d love to hear what all the experts here think of my analysis. Thank you!

~ Kalvin
We decided to go with the 221bh. Im still concerned with the tongue weight, however we decided that with soon to be 3 children we really need the added floorspace and storage the slide gives. Basically we knew we would not be happy with the 219 long term. The exact trailer we bought has a dry weight of 5120lbs- a bit less than spec, hoping the tongue weight follows suit. For now we will drive 2 vehicles if needed, and we arent planning any trips longer than 5-6 hours. I pick it up Friday, will let you know how it goes, might even hit a scale on the way home.

Muddzy

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2013 JKUR, 2008 JKU Sahara (sold)
We decided to go with the 221bh. Im still concerned with the tongue weight, however we decided that with soon to be 3 children we really need the added floorspace and storage the slide gives. Basically we knew we would not be happy with the 219 long term. The exact trailer we bought has a dry weight of 5120lbs- a bit less than spec, hoping the tongue weight follows suit. For now we will drive 2 vehicles if needed, and we arent planning any trips longer than 5-6 hours. I pick it up Friday, will let you know how it goes, might even hit a scale on the way home.
Congrats and enjoy! I'll also be eagerly awaiting your update. I don't know that trailer or how you will have the hitch connection/brakes setup but I'll be surprised if the Gladiator, properly setup, doesn't do a fine job towing it, and you aren't able to strategically place your trailer payload so tongue weight doesn't increase. It's great to hear user experience compared to specs and theory.

Sponsored

OP
OP
aj8544

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats and enjoy! I'll also be eagerly awaiting your update. I don't know that trailer or how you will have the hitch connection/brakes setup but I'll be surprised if the Gladiator, properly setup, doesn't do a fine job towing it, and you aren't able to strategically place your trailer payload so tongue weight doesn't increase. It's great to hear user experience compared to specs and theory.
Will be using an E2 wd hitch with 800lb bars, and already have a Curt Spectrum controller installed at the factory 12v location. Can’t wait to see how the truck does, I have towed 6k on my open utility trailer and was impressed other than the front end feeling light ( no wd hitch on that trailer). This travel trailer does have a large cargo door on the rear that loads under the bottom bunk, I plan to load heavier there than in the front passthrough to manage tongue weight. Will update once I get the real world results.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Will be using an E2 wd hitch with 800lb bars, and already have a Curt Spectrum controller installed at the factory 12v location. Can’t wait to see how the truck does, I have towed 6k on my open utility trailer and was impressed other than the front end feeling light ( no wd hitch on that trailer). This travel trailer does have a large cargo door on the rear that loads under the bottom bunk, I plan to load heavier there than in the front passthrough to manage tongue weight. Will update once I get the real world results.

I think you'll be fine. Make sure to disable the traction control while you're towing with the anti sway hitch and you'll have a much better towing experience. This is actually something I've recently learned with my truck and new trailer. The sway dampening feature of our JT's uses the traction control braking to reduce sway. It apparently incorrectly interprets the resistance of the anti sway hitch as sway, and starts pulsing various brakes to correct it. After forgetting to turn it off a few times now, I can now say there's a definite difference when it's disabled.

Kalvin

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We decided to go with the 221bh. [...] I pick it up Friday, will let you know how it goes, might even hit a scale on the way home.
I hope you got your trailer today! How is it? The videos I've seen look amazing. Looking forward to hearing your experiences with this specific trailer. Any details you can provide would be great, especially if you end up weighing it unloaded and after loading!

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
If it’s not comfortable/ safe to pull with my JT then I’ll trade my wife’s Wrangler on a bigger truck 🤣. JT isnt going anywhere!
Liked the "JT isn't going anywhere" !

OP
OP
aj8544

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I picked up the new trailer today (Keystone passport sl 221bh). In summary I am relatively pleased with how the JT handled the load, and the whole family especially the kids love the camper, and after a dinner in the driveway inside it we are 100% confident we chose the right trailer. Subjectively I was comfortable towing the trailer. Considering it was a very cold and gusty (20-30mph) day, I thought the JT did excellent. Stopping power was no issue with the curt spectrum controller and brakes on both trailer axles. Power was adequate and nothing more. That being said I definitely still have a bit of uncertainty.

Before getting into specifics, understand that my truck is a mostly loaded Rubicon auto with a 7k tow rating. GVWR is 6,250 lbs with a payload rating of 1198 lbs. The stated max hitch rating for this configuration is 700lbs.

I weighed the truck on a CAT scale before picking up the trailer. Other than my dad-bod self the truck was loaded with only car seats, builtright bedside molle panels with fire extinguisher, axe, shovel and traction boards, an arb single compressor and a swingcase toolbox with minimal tools. I filled the gas tank immediately before weighing. Here are the results:
Jeep Gladiator Travel Trailer Debate- Experienced Opinions Wanted 3299678F-57C9-410E-999B-DCC4B8982E53

As you can see this leaves me with a real world payload of 770 lbs in addition to myself.

After picking up the trailer including 1 12v battery and 2 full 20lb propane tanks, hitched with an E2 weight distribution hitch I returned to the same scale. Here are the results:

Jeep Gladiator Travel Trailer Debate- Experienced Opinions Wanted 1121D2E9-2A5C-48C2-9CD0-24426BA3A22D

As you can see I am transferring 700lbs to the truck via tongue weight. This is good news as I thought for sure given the mfg spec of the trailer of 685lbs tongue weight I would exceed the 700lb hitch rating after adding propane and battery.

However if you look at GVWR I am nearly at the max- 6180 of the 6250 rating. I have 70lbs left, and this is before loading any gear into truck or trailer.

I do think I need to make some adjustment to the weight distribution hitch, as you can see by the scale readings I am still losing 80lbs off the the front axle with the trailer attached.

At this point we are clearly going to have to drive 2 vehicles anywhere we haul the camper. Not too big of a deal. However I would like to be able to also take a few kayaks, or possibly a canoe. The 70lbs left of payload just doesnt afford much additional capability. I guess I am mostly surprised by the weight of the truck itself with only a few accessories (keep in mind tires wheels etc are all stock, and I only weigh 200lbs). A bumper and winch which I was set on is most certainly out of the question.

So am I being overly analytical with these weights, should I just send it and not worry as the truck did seem to handle well? Or is this definitely big truck territory- like 3/4 ton since most 1/2 tons with any offroad capability or features dont have significant payload increases. I really dont want to give up either my JT or the wife’s JL, and hate the thought of going back to trying to live with a 3/4 ton as a daily driver.

Sponsored

OP
OP
aj8544

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope you got your trailer today! How is it? The videos I've seen look amazing. Looking forward to hearing your experiences with this specific trailer. Any details you can provide would be great, especially if you end up weighing it unloaded and after loading!
Did get it today and after a dinner in it in our driveway the floorplan is amazing. So functional with the kids able to play/ watch tv while we cook etc... It does seem to have a slight issue with the slide after hauling it home- the thermostat is on the exterior of the bathroom wall where the slide goes in/out past. The fascia trim of the slide is scrubbjng on the thermostat. After a quick call to the dealer they will come to my home tuesday to look at it. Sounds like they are confident the slide cables just need some adjustment.

I did just post a lengthy summary of the weights, which are marginal but hopefully workable with careful loading if the trailer and hitch adjustments.

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
I tow a Keystone 243BHS with my rubicon with 37” tires and 4.88 gearing without issue. It’s not a speed demon but I tow nice and slow and it works great. The 243 has a full front bedroom, double bunks and a slide and is 5200lb dry with a 580lb hitch weight. I am sure when we load up our stuff we are over 6000 and I take a family of 4 plus my dog and we tow all over the place. Although in the mid Atlantic we are mostly flat.

0C7CC3A2-BDE9-4DFF-A6A2-C6E1DAF70B7A.jpeg

721729A7-B4C6-4076-BD34-5A717EB3FC06.jpeg

OP
OP
aj8544

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tow a Keystone 243BHS with my rubicon with 37” tires and 4.88 gearing without issue. It’s not a speed demon but I tow nice and slow and it works great. The 243 has a full front bedroom, double bunks and a slide and is 5200lb dry with a 580lb hitch weight. I am sure when we load up our stuff we are over 6000 and I take a family of 4 plus my dog and we tow all over the place. Although in the mid Atlantic we are mostly flat.

Jeep Gladiator Travel Trailer Debate- Experienced Opinions Wanted 721729A7-B4C6-4076-BD34-5A717EB3FC06

Jeep Gladiator Travel Trailer Debate- Experienced Opinions Wanted 721729A7-B4C6-4076-BD34-5A717EB3FC06
Looks awesome-any chance you have weighed your set up? Curious as to how much payload you have? Seems like if I load up like that I will be way overloaded on payload/ gvwr. The 221 BH I bought has a large 10'6" slide that is 2/3 ahead of the axles, seems like thats the reason for the higher tongue weight.

Kalvin

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did get it today and after a dinner in it in our driveway the floorplan is amazing. So functional with the kids able to play/ watch tv while we cook etc... It does seem to have a slight issue with the slide after hauling it home- the thermostat is on the exterior of the bathroom wall where the slide goes in/out past. The fascia trim of the slide is scrubbjng on the thermostat. After a quick call to the dealer they will come to my home tuesday to look at it. Sounds like they are confident the slide cables just need some adjustment.

I did just post a lengthy summary of the weights, which are marginal but hopefully workable with careful loading if the trailer and hitch adjustments.
Congratulations on your new trailer! Thanks so much for sharing your weights and experiences. This was exceedingly helpful. As you mention, you are right at the limit of payload and tongue weight for the Rubicon, but as long as you take two cars, minimally load the trailer / distribute carefully, and not drive with any water, you should be able to keep it within the stated limits.

Your post also helped us... talked with the other half last night. She definitely isn't a fan of taking two cars or having to be super conscious in what gear we take, so it seems like the 219BH is a better fit for us. Thanks again for sharing!

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
Looks awesome-any chance you have weighed your set up? Curious as to how much payload you have? Seems like if I load up like that I will be way overloaded on payload/ gvwr. The 221 BH I bought has a large 10'6" slide that is 2/3 ahead of the axles, seems like thats the reason for the higher tongue weight.
I haven’t weighed it but it seems to tow without issue.
Sponsored