Trouble at the Pump… Just Me?

msrebel

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5; 2021 Sarge Green JT Rubicon Diesel
I can’t find any threads on this, but some of you may have experienced the same thing or can point me to a good thread here or on the jlwranglerforum. Twice now I have been at the diesel pump and have been unable to get a regular (yes green!) diesel nozzle into the fill neck. I keep pushing and pushing and feel like a complete idiot when it literally won’t go in. Today, I pulled around to the other side of the same pump and had no problems. Is it just me, or is something wrong with my fill neck? These are NOT the big truck nozzles. Anyone else had the same experience? Do I just need to replace the original neck with a big truck-size neck? Thanks!
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
If it works at one side of a pump but not the other, it's not you it's the individual nozzle.

There is a mod you can do that will even allow the big boy pump nozzle to fit.

Do a search for diesel filler neck modification either here or on of JL side. Been discussed in both places.

ThePhotoBus

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2003 Tacoma Off-road DC, 2014 Subaru Forester
I can’t find any threads on this, but some of you may have experienced the same thing or can point me to a good thread here or on the jlwranglerforum. Twice now I have been at the diesel pump and have been unable to get a regular (yes green!) diesel nozzle into the fill neck. I keep pushing and pushing and feel like a complete idiot when it literally won’t go in. Today, I pulled around to the other side of the same pump and had no problems. Is it just me, or is something wrong with my fill neck? These are NOT the big truck nozzles. Anyone else had the same experience? Do I just need to replace the original neck with a big truck-size neck? Thanks!
I had this issue driving through Arkansas. The nozzle wouldn't unlock the fuel door like normal. Luckily a local knew the issue and pointed me to the only station in town where I wouldn't have trouble. Then another forum member told me about the little funnel that came with the Gladiator under the back seat. Supposedly it can be used in a pinch, but haven't tried it yet.

SnazzGlad

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Seems Jeep didn’t make the fuel neck large enough to accommodate the larger mouth nozzles that heavy duty diesel trucks and semis use. I’m sure that can be a PITA trying to find a station with the small necks in some areas. A funnel would be kind of a pain to but it will work. Just keep that funnel out of your JT. You do not want to be smelling diesel in your cab. I may be wrong since I don’t own a diesel JT but I do drive semi trucks at work.

Sponsored

OP
OP
msrebel

msrebel

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems Jeep didn’t make the fuel neck large enough to accommodate the larger mouth nozzles that heavy duty diesel trucks and semis use. I’m sure that can be a PITA trying to find a station with the small necks in some areas. A funnel would be kind of a pain to but it will work. Just keep that funnel out of your JT. You do not want to be smelling diesel in your cab. I may be wrong since I don’t own a diesel JT but I do drive semi trucks at work.
Thanks for all the input. After more research, it definitely looks like some stations put gasoline nozzles on diesel pumps, and that's probably what happened. I have filled up multiple times on the opposite side of the same island, and ended up filling up on my "normal" side day with no problems. I will dig out my adapter just in case it happens again, and will be thinking about doing the truck-size filler modification.

For quick reference, here's a link to the semi-truck filler neck modification discussion here on jeepgladiatorforum. It includes a link to the detailed, step-by-step mod page on jlwranglerforum.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/jtrd-fuel-fill.43036/#post-693892

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel, 2021 392, 1982 J10
Yes this happened to me and the people responding have no clue what you are talking about or they would not be responding with the nonsense.

Its like the throat of the fill is locked and we are afraid to force it and break something. I dont know why it does that, I moved to another gas station and pushed harder and it finally worked.

Did you ever find out an answer to what is happening? This is really dangerous, I was traveling with my girlfriend and she is familiar with my 3500 with the Cummins and when I was asleep she stopped for fuel and not only did she think that a Jeep would not have a diesel and the motor is so quiet but the small fill hole really made her think it was a gas vehicle/

Luckily I am a light sleeper and heard her asking her daughter what side the gas fill was on and I woke up becasue she was about till fill up with 87.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
It's a safety feature to prevent filling with the smaller unleaded noozle.

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a safety feature to prevent filling with the smaller unleaded noozle.
I was filling the vehicle with the small diesel nozzle so that makes no sense or I dont understand what you are saying.

OP
OP
msrebel

msrebel

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was filling the vehicle with the small diesel nozzle so that makes no sense or I dont understand what you are saying.
The gasoline nozzle is a smaller diameter than the regulation diesel nozzle, and the Jeep has a safety feature that won’t let the smaller nozzle fit into the diesel neck. Sometimes the gas stations improperly put a gasoline nozzle on the green diesel pump handle. When this happens, it won’t fit into the neck of your truck:/

Sponsored

Jeep-A-Kneez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel, 1995 YJ 4.0
I've experienced this a couple times as well, happened in the first week of ownership. Was able to make it to the dealership to let them see what was happening, figured that I'd let them break the locking flap. They struggled with it for a bit and finally was able to get the flap open. That's been about 4 months ago and no more to date.

You know, even if I were to eliminate the flap and install the large throat filler neck, I'm not sure that I would use the pumps with the large nozzles and high flow, just because of the tiny tank.

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The gasoline nozzle is a smaller diameter than the regulation diesel nozzle, and the Jeep has a safety feature that won’t let the smaller nozzle fit into the diesel neck. Sometimes the gas stations improperly put a gasoline nozzle on the green diesel pump handle. When this happens, it won’t fit into the neck of your truck:/
now that makes sense, thanks for the info

OP
OP
msrebel

msrebel

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
now that makes sense, thanks for the info
It completely baffled me at first. After I figured it out, I took the diesel and gas nozzles on the pump I always use and put them tip to tip. The diesel was bigger. Then I went around to the other side of the SAME GAS PUMP (where I had not been able to get the nozzle to go in) and put the diesel and gas nozzles tip to tip, and they were the SAME SIZE. The gas station had obviously done a shoddy repair job at some point and stuck a gasoline nozzle on a diesel pump... Now I know I need to gas up on the one side!

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
I came across a Shell station up in VT that had off-road and on-road diesel at the self-serve pumps, next to the gasoline--first time I've seen that.

Unfortunately, the on-road diesel used the big nozzles, and I was forced to use the funnel that's included with the truck... that wasn't fun :(

Was tempted to go to the off-road pump as that was the standard green diesel nozzle...

Ohio JKU

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Occupation
PM Construction
Not one joke about this? :CWL:
Sponsored