First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Blue Collar Balla!!
For the cost of repairing that bed, you may well be able to pick up a used one from a junkyard.

They are starting to appear and generally are not very expensive.
I was curious if they have started showing up in the junkyards... shit in Houston, Tx where people drive like they got their license from dollar general, I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier hahaha.
Sponsored

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
On the cheap and quick, sandwich some 3/16"x3" flat bar inside the bed and outside of bed (in gap behind fuel filler). Hit it with some paint, cinch it together, reinstall spare and run it. If you like it, bed line over it.

OP
OP
JTSouthernYankee

JTSouthernYankee

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Blue Collar Balla!!
On the cheap and quick, sandwich some 3/16"x3" flat bar inside the bed and outside of bed (in gap behind fuel filler). Hit it with some paint, cinch it together, reinstall spare and run it. If you like it, bed line over it.
I like the way you think🤌🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Are other locations an option? I was reading this, then noticed my grandkid, (who never sleeps) playing with the gladiator hotwheels with a side mounted tire.
Just so you know, my grandkid is not only NOT sleeping, but also CRYING while I take these photos for you.

How about a mount at the tail gate? These beds don’t have a lot of real estate so if you needed to haul something in the back, you may wish you had options to put that tire somewhere else. ??IDK

DE45346B-D1B9-4ACA-B5C0-5DC08CF2C853.jpeg

2F33795F-D1B2-4702-942A-2FCCBF5CAC70.jpeg

CA4F8AA1-93D0-4CF3-8533-CC43D739843F.jpeg

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
I know you don’t drive an access cab but I’m sure after some thought an exterior mount could be made, or I’ve even seen tires up top on a rack or on the roof.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
How about a mount at the tail gate? These beds don’t have a lot of real estate so if you needed to haul something in the back, you may wish you had options to put that tire somewhere else. ??IDK
Might want to go easy over bumps, or your frame might bend.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Reinforcing could be done with some flat stock on the back side, accessed through the wheel well
Yes, you can look up along the bed wall and even see the trail rail mountings. It wouldn't be as easy as my quarter panel was because there was full access to the backside - the outer bed panel is really close to that inner wall, but there are actually tools made to hold patches in place while welding. They hold the pieces together and make the surface flush while you weld. To avoid warping, do it in short bursts. Weld - move to another area, weld another inch, move to another area, and so on and keep closing the gaps until there are no gaps.
If done well, there would be no real filler required. A high-build primer would take care of imperfections.

I agree with the prior comments on running an aluminum bar back there. One would need to account for the factory "rivnuts" where the trail rails mount, but one could put clearance holes in the reinforcing bar on the back side.

Sponsored

graham5david

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel Rubicon
Occupation
RN
Just weld up the holes then get the entire bed sprayed with line x. It will be cheaper than the body shop.

Also I live in odessa and take offense to your armpit comment. Odessa is the butt crack of Texas. Get it right next time.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
^^^This exactly. Don't over thinking it. Save the already small bed to haul stuff. You bought a truck after all 😂
That solution, IMO, needs to be made more widely known.
Such a super-simple thing - and likely better than stock, anyway.

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
The other solution here (and once bigger than ~37-38", nothing will fit between the frame rails regardless of track bar design) is trail rail of some sort with appropriately sized tiedowns. Factory, Mopar kit, several aftermarket and DIY options. Bare sheet metal on a weight-optimized midsize truck unfortunately isn't the answer. Trail rails spread the load out over a much, much larger area

I'm sure full-size truck beds have often been made of heavier gauge steel (and weigh more accordingly) and might stand up to this. Though the F-150 bed has been aluminum for a while now, so I wouldn't try this there either. Perhaps in a one-ton bed. Sorry this happened though
Sponsored