Sponsored

Understanding Dana 44 Axle and M210/M220

WSU JKU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2019 JLU, 2012 JKU, '46 CJ2A
That seems crazy..

Has anyone jacked up the diff and actually checked?
How is it crazy? Multiple people posted their build sheets. Max tow didn’t include the trac-loc.
Traditionally the trac-loc is called the trash loc for a reason; it doesn’t work that well. I’m glad mine didn’t come with it and I wouldn’t have paid extra for it.
Sponsored

Sunnysideup

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Pumpkin Gladiator/ 2007 Steel Blue JKU
Occupation
Pastor
Please prove this with a link to buy the eLocker without having to buy a whole new axle... I'll wait with my credit card #'s handy.
The ARB (RD245 air locker)can be purchased and put into Max Tow front or rear axles...

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
This in encouraging to me. You're right, p.360 of the manual says Trac-Lock systems need a friction modifier.

Why wouldn't it function well on slick surfaces?

If they don't function well on harsh-offroad use because they don't have the friction of a true locker, is it better to have a system without the limited-slip? Wouldn't something be better than nothing, extra complexity of maintenance aside?

This guy seems to share your view

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...l-rear-axle-vs-rubicon.2575/page-6#post-40311

To which the discussion went
Also the friction modifier has to be installed in the proper quantity or you'll get lurching in tight turns. It can be a little annoying as miles rack up. As far as icy roads, LSD tends to push the rear end to the right rather than allowing the truck to keep a straight path. It's physics. Sort of like how people in sports cars with LSD do rolling burn-outs and the marks on the pavement curve like a snake. The action of applying forces from both wheels to the rear of a vehicle has the effect of pushing the rear end to the right. It's very dangerous on icy or snow packed roads. I hate it. I'll take an open diff any day of the week.

Since Jeep gives us BLD standard that's good enough. That way the traction control system can apply torque to any of the four wheels and do so in a safe way to prevent drifting.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
uh huh... But I dont want an Air Locker.
But why? According to lite brite they engage so fast its almost like magic, think about how quickly you could engage them, how some how that tiny hose defies hydro-pneumatics and physics and generates hundreds of cubic feet more volume for the fastest possible engagement speed.

Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
But why? According to lite brite they engage so fast its almost like magic, think about how quickly you could engage them, how some how that tiny hose defies hydro-pneumatics and physics and generates hundreds of cubic feet more volume for the fastest possible engagement speed.
I prefer not to engage that fast... Did that with my Ex Wife.. Didnt work out so well. I dont mind a long courting process now.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
As far as icy roads, LSD tends to push the rear end to the right rather than allowing the truck to keep a straight path. It's physics. Sort of like how people in sports cars with LSD do rolling burn-outs and the marks on the pavement curve like a snake. The action of applying forces from both wheels to the rear of a vehicle has the effect of pushing the rear end to the right. It's very dangerous on icy or snow packed roads. I hate it. I'll take an open diff any day of the week.

Since Jeep gives us BLD standard that's good enough. That way the traction control system can apply torque to any of the four wheels and do so in a safe way to prevent drifting.
Well now I am happy I DON'T have it. The JT's light rear end already fishtails easily on wet road curves

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't order my JT but am wondering if the max tow is just the heavy duty engine cooling. here's my sheet
Max tow doesnt stack with Rubicon. Lots of the parts are the same already though

ScottLars

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTSSD Granite Crystal Metallic (Korg)
Occupation
Engineer
Well now I am happy I DON'T have it. The JT's light rear end already fishtails easily on wet road curves
My JTSD has the Trac-Loc diff and it has gotten a good work out this week on the icy, slushy roads here. I have not encountered the "pulling to the right" issue. I haven't exactly been stomping the gas though, just driving sanely.

Sponsored

Unclerez

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT
Occupation
Director of Business Development
I understood that about the axle's and gears, trying to find out if I have Trac Lok. I will put it on a jack this evening and check the dif and see if it turns same or opposite.
It isn’t optional. If you buy tow it comes automatically

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hah someone liked my original response to this so I might as well update...

I got Engaged.. Fast.. ARB's front & rear along with trussed axles & the Dutchman 35 spline rear shafts... When push came to shove air lockers better then no lockers. Havent had a chance to use them much.. But when I need them I press a button & i'm locked.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
Hah someone liked my original response to this so I might as well update...

I got Engaged.. Fast.. ARB's front & rear along with trussed axles & the Dutchman 35 spline rear shafts... When push came to shove air lockers better then no lockers. Havent had a chance to use them much.. But when I need them I press a button & i'm locked.
No shame in that, ARB lockers are at the top for premium lockers. They are a fantastic option! I had them on my TJ and loved them. Only problem you should be aware of is if a good tech doesn't install them you run the likely hood of the airlines in the locker not being fully seated/secured and eventually you'll notice your locker doesn't stay engaged due to loss of pressure. OR more commonly you'll notice your compressor kicks on for a few seconds way more than it should.

I had this problem and they were installed at a reputable shop. Afterwards I spliced in a pressure gauge to keep an eye on it.

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Soon as TrueTrac's are available, that will be the go to. Come on Eaton!!!

ChrisJT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Hey, I'm just picking up an axle with a rear ARB. But I don't have any air yet. Can you share how your Airline runs and how your compressor is set up? I have not seem many posts about this.
Sponsored