First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Well, I just got the call from the service department regarding my CEL. There was a TSB to flash the PCM and it didn’t take and now the truck is inoperable. Of course the new PCM is on back order and they have no rental cars. I’m not real happy right now.
If your dealer doesn't have any loaners you gotta press em. They do have obligations for warranty repairs that render the vehicle inoperable. My old KIA dealer swore there was nothing they could do because they were out of loaners. Called Kia VIP line (special Kia customer service number for K900s and Stingers only) and next thing you know my dealer is picking up my tab at enterprise for a luxury class vehicle (broke car was a K900). Then I got to enterprise and found out apparently that dealer had an account at that enterprise location and did this sort of thing normally... just they wanted to he obstinate dickheads and save some money by trying to screw me out a loaner I was entitled to.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If your dealer doesn't have any loaners you gotta press em. They do have obligations for warranty repairs that render the vehicle inoperable.
No, they don't have obligations.
People always assume that, but it's a courtesy, not a part of the warranty unless you buy a warranty that specifically covers loss of use or rentals/loaners.
They have no obligation, legal or warranty-wise. Nowhere is it stated they do.

That keeps getting assumed.
If they do, it's a nice thing, if they don't, then it's normal.

Jeep Gladiator UPDATE: Check Engine light 1655939678327

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
No, they don't have obligations.
People always assume that, but it's a courtesy, not a part of the warranty unless you buy a warranty that specifically covers loss of use or rentals/loaners.
They have no obligation, legal or warranty-wise. Nowhere is it stated they do.

That keeps getting assumed.
If they do, it's a nice thing, if they don't, then it's normal.

Jeep Gladiator UPDATE: Check Engine light 1655939678327
Wow, that's news to me. Every dealership I've ever worked at provided loaners for every warranty repair, even if they had to get one from a rental car agency. One Ford dealer would throw service customers in cars from the used car lot and call it a test drive. I doubt the floor plan company or insurance company would have enjoyed knowing about that.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Wow, that's news to me. Every dealership I've ever worked at provided loaners for every warranty repair, even if they had to get one from a rental car agency. One Ford dealer would throw service customers in cars from the used car lot and call it a test drive. I doubt the floor plan company or insurance company would have enjoyed knowing about that.
Yeah, it has been a YMMV situation that depends on the dealership. @ShadowsPapa is right, there is no requirement under the factory warranties that a loaner will be provided.

Been more than a few threads on the subject with people miffed thinking they had a entitlement to a loaner while a vehicle was in for warranty repair. Only carve out for loaner or rental assistance/reimbursement is with some of the purchased extended warranty/service contracts may have the language. The Jeep Wave program offers a rental/loaner but that is only if your vehicle is in for a same day scheduled maintenance service and not a overnight or multiple day time period.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, it has been a YMMV situation that depends on the dealership. @ShadowsPapa is right, there is no requirement under the factory warranties that a loaner will be provided.

Been more than a few threads on the subject with people miffed thinking they had a entitlement to a loaner while a vehicle was in for warranty repair. Only carve out for loaner or rental assistance/reimbursement is with some of the purchased extended warranty/service contracts may have the language. The Jeep Wave program offers a rental/loaner but that is only if your vehicle is in for a same day scheduled maintenance service and not a overnight or multiple day time period.
Around here, there's a shortage of vehicles. One dealership says they have started parking their auction vehicles around the lot to make it look more full, and rentals/loaners are scarce.
In the past, before all heck broke loose with car shortages, I'd say about half did the loaner thing. Some would if they had any but you had to drop your vehicle off at 7am and get right in before their 3 or 4 loaners were gone. They'd give you a ride to almost anywhere, and that's a big help if you have another vehicle at home, but I live 30 minutes from the closest dealership so that isn't always a workable thing either.

Yetiman615

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave, ‘19 X3
Occupation
Operations
Went to get service on my ‘21 JTM at dealer today, they said they had a recall to perform requiring software update. I let them go ahead and do it…. Big mistake as it resulted in bricking the PCM. DON’T LET THEM DO THE RECALL UNTIL THEY FIGURE OUT THE ISSUE! I did get a loaner, from Enterprise rental due to low inventory as another post sited. They started to tell me it was due to my Tazer, but as we were talking another tech came up and told them he just bricked a ‘22 JT… 😂🖕🏻 New PCM won’t be here til 28th….

OP
OP

wjcook68

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Sorry to hear that Yetiman615. I know I am sure hoping my PCM comes in on the 30th. @JeepCares opened a case for me as well.

Best of luck on a quick resolution.

Dark_Iron_Mojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[2021 Sarge Mojave]
Good luck to you both, @wjcook68 & @Yetiman615 . The write up of what they've done so far to mine does include a PCM flash, but mine wasn't bricked thankfully. Currently my part that was supposed to be delivered yesterday was "Out for delivery" via tracking info yesterday and is still there today. So that's fun.

Yeah, lack of a loaner is due to, at least around here, severe lack of inventory. Every Jeep dealership in the area I talked to said something to the effect of "no loaners unless you're here on a good day and probably not if we expect to hold your car more than 1-2 days." Dealers are selling them as fast as they can get them and it's not worth it right now for them to have them out as loaners. Service advisor said they started to go the rental route a few months back, but then Enterprise jacked the prices up to $400/day so they've stopped trying. Even the rentals are in short supply.

OP
OP

wjcook68

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It appears to be an absolute sh!t show right now. I know they have Gladiators on the lot right now and they are marked up an additional $5,995 for, wait for it, ............................................. regional market adjustment. I bought mine in February for $750 under MSRP which I thought was a lot.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Went to get service on my ‘21 JTM at dealer today, they said they had a recall to perform requiring software update. I let them go ahead and do it…. Big mistake as it resulted in bricking the PCM. DON’T LET THEM DO THE RECALL UNTIL THEY FIGURE OUT THE ISSUE! I did get a loaner, from Enterprise rental due to low inventory as another post sited. They started to tell me it was due to my Tazer, but as we were talking another tech came up and told them he just bricked a ‘22 JT… 😂🖕🏻 New PCM won’t be here til 28th….
Were there any DTCs set? Any error codes?
There's a TSB for no-start conditions after PCM flash -

Conditions:
No Start, After Flash And Or PCM Replace, DTC P0513 Invalid Skim Key Setting

There may be others, I've been involved with other stuff and not paying close attention.

OP
OP

wjcook68

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Conditions:

There may be others, I've been involved with other stuff and not paying close attention.

ShadowsPapa you're seriously one smart guy! You are a walking repair manual. Your cranium has to look like this (it is meant as a compliment)

Jeep Gladiator UPDATE: Check Engine light download (1)

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Do you know if you have the newer PCM model (top mounted plugs instead of side)? You and OP have ‘21 models, and they switched around mid-late ‘21. Wondering if it’s specific to the new one.

Yetiman615

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave, ‘19 X3
Occupation
Operations
Good question… I will find out and post.

Yetiman615

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave, ‘19 X3
Occupation
Operations

Conditions:

thanks for this info. They didn’t share any details with me as they initially tried to blame the Tazer… but it was a no start after flash driving the PCM replacement call from whoever they called at corporate.
And agree with other post… 90 pound brain you got there!
Sponsored